Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
That’s clearly not true, because many tests show double the throughput of 2x2 phones. The issue is negotiation of tower connections, not the use of antenna.

You are also reading this link wrong. It’s talking about TRANSMISSION, not reception. People aren’t complaining about transmission. And transmission would typically use only one antenna in a device this small, as long as the device can dynamically choose the antenna.

Ok, Good to know thanks for the clarification.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Might just pay that restock fee with Verizon and exchange it :/
If it's an exchange for the same phone due to a defect I wouldn't think you'd have to pay a restock fee. Only for returns.
I would wait until they officially identify the bad batch and remove it from the sales chain.

Reactions: roncron

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
You need to run the speed tests simultaneously to compare, especially when you have so much variability from one minute to the next.

which is why I've run multiple tests, from multiple servers. I'd do it simultaneously if I had two voice lines.

Sci_Tech

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
SoCal
If it's an exchange for the same phone due to a defect I wouldn't think you'd have to pay a restock fee. Only for returns.
I would wait until they officially identify the bad batch and remove it from the sales chain.

You're right! For some reason I was thinking they would charge me either way

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
which is why I've run multiple tests, from multiple servers. I'd do it simultaneously if I had two voice lines.
The problem is that on your Samsung you’re going from 12 Mb to 45 Mb in the span of 5 minutes. If you’re not running simultaneously you can’t tell the actual speed differential between the phones because the network conditions are fluctuating too much

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
2 people on this other thread said their phones had all the problems, they exchanged them, and the new phones work perfectly. Pointing to a manufacturing defect in a small batch of phones.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-max-even-worse-than-iphone-x.2140854/page-75

But some people said they had the problem even after getting a new phone. Either they had vary bad luck or it isn't an hardware problem.
I think it is a mix of the new antenna design and some issue that can be solved or mitigated via software.

My third day with the Xs is just ending and I haven't experienced any issues so far. Never dropped a call, the phone works just fine. Sometimes I get low speed during a test, then I take it again after a few minutes in exactly the same place so same network coverage and speed is back to normal.

elitypes

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Yes but either they have bad luck or the batch is not small.
Yea although the few people posting about receiving replacement phones without the issue, there were users who had experience replacing their phones without any improvements. I'm still waiting to see what the Apple support/engineers I have been dealing with come back with.

If it's software then I hope for a speedy fix. If it's hardware who knows. Like others the first thing they did was take my serial number down and they advised it could help to see if this is isolated to a certain batch etc. Hoping if it is hardware they would be able to isolate and replace my phone.

At this point who knows. Definitely frustrating waiting and going through these issues. Unfortunately I had sold my 7+ so don't have an alternate phone to fall back on.

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
If it is a "small" batch of phones that could still be thousands of phones with how many iPhones are manufactured. A small batch from factory for Apple could be one manufacturers entire supply for a year.
Curious to see how this turns out. I really want to order a iPhone XS again.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
But some people said they had the problem even after getting a new phone. Either they had vary bad luck or it isn't an hardware problem.
I think it is a mix of the new antenna design and some issue that can be solved or mitigated via software.

My third day with the Xs is just ending and I haven't experienced any issues so far. Never dropped a call, the phone works just fine. Sometimes I get low speed during a test, then I take it again after a few minutes in exactly the same place so same network coverage and speed is back to normal.

I would doubt it's a small batch but rather the first few runs off the assembly line(s). It would be odd to have random hardware issues on select phones. Cosmetic manufacturing defects, sure. But faulty modems and Wifi would require a change to A) the design of the phone B) the components of the phone and C) the manufacturing of the phone. This won't happen overnight. If it's a software fix/patch, cool.
I'm going to call Apple and ask for an extended return period noting that if this is a problem that can't be resolved via software, I'd like a new phone (not a white box refurbished replacement).

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Weird, just noticed today that my T-Mobile reception has drastically improved (I haven't done anything to my phone). I'm getting about 25-26 Mbps indoors in San Francisco which is considered a small miracle. Wondering if this has more to do with carrier network configurations (not iPhone carrier network settings). Never had the WiFi issues. Going to put my armchair degree in network engineering on hold for a bit to see how this pans out.

hardwax

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
just got off the phone with apple support, they are aware this is a global issue, requested me to install baseband to get some logs but ended up not using it, nothing to do but wait. =///

Blaze42k

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
Ok so my phone has serious signal issue today. No service whatsoever. Luckily its on my 14th days of purchasing my iPhone xs. I will be returning both of our phone today until they sort this out.

hardwax

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Please report back when you get some updates.

sure! i don't expect anything soon, probably some ios update or a technical article, that's what he said. he didn't mention anything hardware related, he also said they talk with the phone operators as well. i'm not located in US by the way

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Hey folks, been traveling for 2 weeks to clients. So I have read through most of this thread, and looking for some guidance.

i bought (2) Xs t-mobile. Was in Michigan and Denver these past weeks, and had some pretty big data connectivity issues. Dropped calls in Lakewood, Denver (city) and highway near airport. 4G 2bars, then LTE, then 1 bar etc. Could not connect to webpages when in Detroit, and Southfield which is blanketed with coverage I know, as my 6S hotspot I use w/tmobile had 4 bars.

I presume now is the time to just punt and return these? I really don't have time to dick around with Apple and beta test their stuff anymore. I gave my X to my son, so I will have to go to his 7 as my daily driver- no biggie, I like touch ID better tbh.

What say everyone? Hold out a bit, wait for a patch. Or just return them and move on? Reason being is I got the buy one get 700 off the second, so there's that....

Thanks!

Reactions: 02275629

00sjsl

Contributor
Jul 23, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Me too on Vodafone UK, not sure how to report to Apple other than taking back to a store for a new phone, but how are these selected people chosen to run tests? How does Apple know they're having issues?
I ran settings/general/reset/reset network settings and that seems to have fixed the issue for me. Either that or O2 changed something.

Reactions: keiranmussell

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
Hey folks, been traveling for 2 weeks to clients. So I have read through most of this thread, and looking for some guidance.

i bought (2) Xs t-mobile. Was in Michigan and Denver these past weeks, and had some pretty big data connectivity issues. Dropped calls in Lakewood, Denver (city) and highway near airport. 4G 2bars, then LTE, then 1 bar etc. Could not connect to webpages when in Detroit, and Southfield which is blanketed with coverage I know, as my 6S hotspot I use w/tmobile had 4 bars.

I presume now is the time to just punt and return these? I really don't have time to dick around with Apple and beta test their stuff anymore. I gave my X to my son, so I will have to go to his 7 as my daily driver- no biggie, I like touch ID better tbh.

What say everyone? Hold out a bit, wait for a patch. Or just return them and move on? Reason being is I got the buy one get 700 off the second, so there's that....

Thanks!
I'd return but that's me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.