Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilvert

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
Braavos, Westeros
Why would an SS be replaced with a Sport? Even the article states it only applies to Aluminum models.

"Apple Watch Aluminum (1st generation) parts (in all colors) may be substituted with Apple Watch Aluminum (Series 1) parts."

I will update on this, MY gen 1 Stainless Steel was sent to an authorized reseller to repair the back cover...

This is the replacement I received after the original one's back cover unglued, the replacement was out of warranty but had the same issue before a year...

Hoping for the best with a Series 1 stainless steel.
But I'm yet to hear from MacStore or Apple on this...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I will update on this, MY gen 1 Stainless Steel was sent to an authorized reseller to repair the back cover...

This is the replacement I received after the original one's back cover unglued, the replacement was out of warranty but had the same issue before a year...

Hoping for the best with a Series 1 stainless steel.
But I'm yet to hear from MacStore or Apple on this...

SS is S0 or S2. Never made a SS S1.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I had mine replaced last month due to the swelling battery issue and I did receive a Series 1. Bonus for me was that I had a nick on the screen glass that I no longer have to look at.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
So the only difference is the processor? ONLY? any other minor changes too?

Is it much faster? I hate how my original Apple Watch take a very long time to install updates.

I got a replacement 2 weeks ago, and it was the same original model.

Is it much faster? I hate how my original Apple Watch take a very long time to install updates.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the only notable difference is the processor. There could be minor tweaks (such as changes to manufacturing processes) but nothing to really care about. I'm not sure if anyone has done a comparison on installation speeds, but I would bet there are improvements. Also minor improvements to app load speeds. From everything I've heard it's noticeable but not groundbreaking.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

Make of it what you will but my SS first gen installed 3.2.3 faster than my s2 last night. the s2 had already downloaded the update, too, so it should've had the advantage.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Took mine in as the microphone quit working, I was told I had to pay $200 for it to be fixed. Half the price of the Watch. No thanks.

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
I contacted Apple support via chat last night. Having mine sent in to be downgraded to watchOS 3. Let’s see if I get a series 1 model! They are sending me a box in the mail which is something I didn’t know they did.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I contacted Apple support via chat last night. Having mine sent in to be downgraded to watchOS 3. Let’s see if I get a series 1 model! They are sending me a box in the mail which is something I didn’t know they did.
Loving my watch again being back on watchOS 3. The upgrade to series 1 definitely helps too (in terms of battery life and dictation/siri especially). I hope I've learned my lesson this summer. WatchOS 3 betas were quite stable compared to their watchOS 4 equivalents (I know I know, no one should be using DBs as their daily drivers, but the temptation is strong). To pair the new watch you will have to go back to MacOS 10.12 beta 3. I had a problem because even though I was sure I had done an iCloud backup just before upgrading to MacOS 10.13, when I downgraded to MacOS 10.12 beta 3, the newest iOS 10 iCloud backup I could find was from January. The partial solution for me was to downgrade to MacOS 10.12 beta 2. From there I was able to find a much more recent iCloud backup. But then in order to recover my activity data that I had accumulated while running the iOS 11 betas, I had to upgrade my phone back to ios 11, which I am not happy about.

Reactions: dipan

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
Loving my watch again being back on watchOS 3. The upgrade to series 1 definitely helps too (in terms of battery life and dictation/siri especially). I hope I've learned my lesson this summer. WatchOS 3 betas were quite stable compared to their watchOS 4 equivalents (I know I know, no one should be using DBs as their daily drivers, but the temptation is strong). To pair the new watch you will have to go back to MacOS 10.12 beta 3. I had a problem because even though I was sure I had done an iCloud backup just before upgrading to MacOS 10.13, when I downgraded to MacOS 10.12 beta 3, the newest iOS 10 iCloud backup I could find was from January. The partial solution for me was to downgrade to MacOS 10.12 beta 2. From there I was able to find a much more recent iCloud backup. But then in order to recover my activity data that I had accumulated while running the iOS 11 betas, I had to upgrade my phone back to ios 11, which I am not happy about.
So you got a series 1 back from a downgrade?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Don't like the part that states, "In some countries . . ."

Apple promotes itself as a global company, so all Apple customers should receive the same level of service.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Do you have apple care for your watch? Also how much did apple charge you for the replacement?
I ordered the series 0 the day it was available, so my Apple care had expired. Elsewhere I posted how I was originally going to be charged over $250. That was by phone. I contacted customer service again via chat and they agreed to waive the fee. The whole thing cost me nothing.

Perhaps Apple is doing this because watchOS 4 is going to be hard on series 0 watches with its single core processor They had already replaced my first series 0 watch (before my Apple Care expired) once because of battery issues.

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
Did they charge you? I was charged $69 and I was still in warranty.
I am sending mine back today and am confirming it is free.

Attachments

• IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.