Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't understand how a company that makes such advanced software or hardware fail to make simpler stuff like a social network or even attempt at it thinking its going to work.

The same goes to Microsoft that could not compete with the iPod... Zune was a joke! Is this really the same people behind the OS that is operating 80% of the world's computers?

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Makes me wonder if Apple knows how people react when some freakin person next to you on the road or parking lot. Music is meant to be personal and some music is tolerable for public and some are obviously not desirable for majority of people. The only time this kind of social music network works is offline when same group of individual geeks out with music called music jamming and they have to know each other personally.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Apples services are doomed.
Really nobody who is already caged within Apples hardware ecosystem wants to add another chain. Why Apple Music, when there are other services like Spotify that work on every device and give you the freedom of choice. Who wants an Apple clean room video streaming service with violence and sex banned - when there is Netflix and Netflix also has a channel for childs where those content is banned.

Once I've chosen Apple because it "just works" - but those days are over and I guess they'll never come back as long as Tim Cook has the lead.

Reactions: maxfm

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Hold on a moment! I can't be the only one that loves to collect Album art and view it when listening to music right? Ever since Apple killed the Music App, I had to resort to 3rd party apps like TapTunes to view the Album Art covers.
I think you’re one of the few there. I don’t think most people care about album art.
[doublepost=1544790064][/doublepost]
Apples services are doomed.
Really nobody who is already caged within Apples hardware ecosystem wants to add another chain. Why Apple Music, when there are other services like Spotify that work on every device and give you the freedom of choice.
I don’t like Spotify. It doesn’t work with Siri in my car and doesn’t have an Apple Watch app. Also...Apple music does work on every device. You realize they even have an android app right? Apple Music is a major success by any measure, so I don’t know what you’re talking about. And they’re doing better than ever with Tim in the lead. Most people won’t admit this but the company flourished after Steve Jobs died.
[doublepost=1544790440][/doublepost]
Beats live radio is next.
Umm...no. That’s here to stay. A lot of people listen to beats radio.
[doublepost=1544790804][/doublepost]
Apple is just too much of a control freak to do this. It's the same reason they don't allow true alternative browsers in iOS (every alternative browser is basically a reskin of Safari) or put Progressive Web App features into mobile Safari or allow sideloaded apps. It's why their web-based (read: usable on any modern browser) solutions are always buggy and extremely late to the market. The less insulated the Apple ecosystem is, the less special and exclusive it will feel and the more open people will be to considering alternatives. There are certain times, it's true, that limiting people helps them build an easier to use device, but that doesn't justify the majority of their choices.
And yet they’re rich and you’re not. Funny how that works. I think most of their choices are working out just fine. The reason people don’t consider alternatives is because the only alternative is Android, and Android makes me puke. There is no true alternative to iOS.
[doublepost=1544790962][/doublepost]
Jeez Apple, just give up. Other than iMessage/Messages (which iOS/macOS users are coerced into using by the fact that it's pre-installed on every device), I can't really think of an Apple social software or services success story.
iCloud? You know, the most important one. Yeah I’m sure they built all those data centers because their services are all a failure. :rolleyes:

Only their social media attempts fail, they’re fine with everything else.

And nobody is coerced into using iMessage. You can turn it off and just SMS or download WhatsApp or whatever other crap apps Android people have to use because google failed a million times over to make a proper messaging app. People use iMessage because it’s superior. Hell, many people stick to iOS BECAUSE of iMessage.
[doublepost=1544791430][/doublepost]
Apple can’t really innovate anymore or at least come up with decent services. Now they are chasing the original content trend. They are so late to the party and it will bomb too, just like their attempts at social media.
I feel like literally the only thing that they can upgrade/update now is the price on their products LOL Tim Cook and many other executives need to go!
The company has been stagnating like crazy!
Stagnating companies aren’t worth nearly a trillion dollars. In the time it took you to write this basic bitch post in your mother’s basement, Apple made another few million dollars. Tim Cook has made insane amounts of money for Apple, good thing he’s CEO and not you. “Literally”.

Last edited:
Reactions: riverfreak

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Why?
It’s one of my most used applications. As I sit in front of my Mac I never have to lift my iPhone, I can do all my texting on the Mac instead.
Would be interesting to hear your view on this.
Sorry I mean the apps in iMessage ie the iMessage app drawer.

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
Never used it. All I want from Apple
Music is a easy to navigate database of music. No fancy gimmicks, I'm not overly fussed about swish GUI, I just want an easy to use music player. Is that too much to ask?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't understand how a company that makes such advanced software or hardware fail to make simpler stuff like a social network or even attempt at it thinking its going to work.

The same goes to Microsoft that could not compete with the iPod... Zune was a joke! Is this really the same people behind the OS that is operating 80% of the world's computers?

Creating a Social network app isn’t simple, though, and it isn’t just software. You need to market it, get user engagement, and all that good stuff, otherwise it’s DOA.

Edit: the fact that people didn’t know , or forgot about Connect tells you that Apple screwed up promoting it.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
This sort of thing happens in large corporations all the time.

It happens when somebody high in management hears or reads about another company doing something and decides "We need to do that, too.".

A team of random technical people is pulled together for long enough to knock something together. They disperse but nothing (in particular, no leadership) is put in place for the long term, so everything is barely maintained by journeymen who have little real knowledge or enthusiasm about the product and no incentive to improve it. It stays at Version 1.0 forever, withers and dies.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
No one wants a social network for music. No one even wants to stay in music app while they’re listening for that matter. They want to hit play, listen in the background, and do their daily tasks. That’s why both services failed, they didn’t realize that.

Correction, no one wants a music-based social network that they can't actually socialize on. I liked the content on Ping and Connect. I still dislike that I can't do anything with it.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Almost like if Google, Facebook, Amazon and basically all others were not shutting down features, failed acquisitions and entire social networks on a daily basis.
It only matters if Apple does. You know that. The hell, Google just killed two major platforms and not a peep

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Throw it on the wall and see what sticks. Hmmm sounds kinda familiar....

You can’t fault companies for trying new ideas, otherwise progression will not be possible. Failure is part of the learning process, regardless of how large the company is.

That’s a good point. And I feel like there are people that just need to remain employed so they have to come up with SOMETHING haha. Happens in every company.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
We choose Apple cause they are not like those ..... poor excuse in my book. You cant have Apple being awesome when they do things better than those companies you listed , but when Apple fails, compare them to the others..... we expect better from Apple . They don’t need our excuses
To have multiple home runs for products is unheard of. The idea that every attempt will be successful if completely unrealistic. The praising of their competitors for each minor success while minimizing Apple’s and minimize the failures in social of their competitors while beating Apple over the head for moving away from social is where the annoyance comes from.
[doublepost=1544796009][/doublepost]
That’s a good point. And I feel like there are people that just need to remain employed so they have to come up with SOMETHING haha. Happens in every company.
It’s just the haters and paid drones looking for a opportunity to attack Apple. Remember Google has a whole division that creates and releases doomed ideas only to be canceled after they fail dramatically, but for this they are applauded.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
I think you’re one of the few there. I don’t think most people care about album art.
I don’t like Spotify. It doesn’t work with Siri in my car and doesn’t have an Apple Watch app. Also...Apple music does work on every device. You realize they even have an android app right? Apple Music is a major success by any measure, so I don’t know what you’re talking about. And they’re doing better than ever with Tim in the lead. Most people won’t admit this but the company flourished after Steve Jobs died.
Maybe I'm wrong, but does Apple Music work in a browser - there is an Apple App for Android indeed, but basically everything from Apple works as long you are in the Apple ecosystem. Tried syncing the iCloud in Linux? And Siri - haha, the worlds worst assistant.

When I started as a Mac user and developer you could connect any cellphone and it synced using iSync. Connect an Android phone today - what happens? Nothing!

Tim Cook is a money man - but the products suffer. No MacPro, everything today is built like an iPhone, soldered and hardwired and not upgradeable or repairable. No visible cloud strategy compared to Microsoft, Google and Amazon. But the developers start leaving - just build my own "MacPro" running Linux and it is a hell of a machine. Took me 4 hours (and it could run macOS) - not years like Apple.

Reactions: u+ive

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Spotify nailed it (like most things). Your friends are listed off to the right, and what they are listening too. No messaging, no posting, no "likes", no hashtags, no walls, no filters, no trends, no stories. Just what are your friends listening to, and their playlists. Simple. Done!

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Focus on better playlist curation and add user created playlists.
Totally agree. Music discovery is so much better on Spotif, and one big reason for that is the ability to see songs you like on other people’s playlists. I hate being locked into celebrity playlists.

They also need to work on better sharing integration. It’s embarrassing for Apple Music when reading new music reviews in your favorite newspaper and all the links are to ... Spotify.
[doublepost=1544801841][/doublepost]
Spotify nailed it (like most things). Your friends are listed off to the right, and what they are listening too. No messaging, no posting, no "likes", no hashtags, no walls, no filters, no trends, no stories. Just what are your friends listening to, and their playlists. Simple. Done!
An excellent summary. And so true. Thanks.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
How about focusing on streaming lossless, HD Audio or Hi-Fi instead…

Amen. Joe Public may not be interested in the creative processes and musings of artists, but everyone can appreciate body-enveloping audio. If Apple wants to justify and complete its premium speaker foray, it needs another tier of audio content that shows off the abilities of quality equipment.

Apple spends a lot of effort making cameras that enable Joe Public to experience premium photography. They should do the same for music.

moovyphreak

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Never used it or Ping for that matter. One newer feature I do like in Apple Music is that they've added the release dates for the newest album/EP/single for artists as well as the ability to pre-add upcoming albums to your library that pop back up to the top upon release. I'm hoping iOS 13 brings some much needed UI upgrades and not just to the Apple Music app itself.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I don't know if it was because I followed an artist on Apple Music Connect, or simply because I already had an artist's album added to my Apple Music, but I do like when I get a push notification that an artist has a new album out (usually the day it is released). It's always a nice surprise. Doesn't always happen though, so I wondered if it was only artists I happened to follow on Apple Music Connect. That's one feature I want to keep.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I still see this is a move in the right direction. They are putting a bit more control into the hands of the artist first. Once this settles in, I can see them opening things more in a social way. This is what we got to update and move over too...
Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 1.04.01 PM.png

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
To have multiple home runs for products is unheard of. The idea that every attempt will be successful if completely unrealistic. The praising of their competitors for each minor success while minimizing Apple’s and minimize the failures in social of their competitors while beating Apple over the head for moving away from social is where the annoyance comes from.
[doublepost=1544796009][/doublepost]
It’s just the haters and paid drones looking for a opportunity to attack Apple. Remember Google has a whole division that creates and releases doomed ideas only to be canceled after they fail dramatically, but for this they are applauded.

2007 - 2012 : apple was doing a great job across the spectrum of products in my opinion, each product was a great update and awesome value for money

garrick2007

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Bay Area, CA
I do like the friend community on Apple Music though, being able to follow your friends, see there public playlists, add them, see what they are listening too. Very good play on their part with that. Connect though... not a terrible idea but just not something artist will be able to fuel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.