Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This is why I switched to the monthly payment. Got a drawer full of old iPhones I never use. And if you have the option to upgrade every year, why wouldn't you? This was there's also no buyer's remorse, never any "should I wait for the next one?" My payment stays the same and I get a new phone. works for me.
Some people just don’t think it’s necessary to upgrade every year. Sure I could upgrade from the XS Max next year, but I ask myself “is it really worth spending over $700 on monthly payments on a new phone every year?” And my answer is no. I’d rather pay the $1,250 outright and use it for 2-3 years.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Interest free loan? How is that a bad thing? You pay 24X or you pay X, 24 times ... math still ends up being the same.

I think it is a bad thing if you can't really afford it. For anybody that could buy it outright with out any thought there is no reason not to take the loan. Apple is basically offloading phones onto the poor. They normally become poor by going into debt for things they don't actually need.

Do you have to have insurance or Apple care to be able to finance the payments?

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I think it depends on the individual, if they can afford it, why care?

Some people are really into tech, and wanting the latest and greatest that is out there. It is like a hobby to them.

If it doesn't impact me and mine, why would I care. I am sure there are plenty of things I like that other people think are a waste of time and money. Cars come to mind.

You can say there is no need to upgrade every year, but one could make the argument that there is no need to ever upgrade or even own a cell phone.
Thats the problem right there. Society reached an unreasonable point. I have the money to buy new iPhone every month but that doesn't make it a good decision. Its not (and shouldn't be) about money.
Anyway, on global scale it is an issue. If you hold something for 10 years or 1 then I'm sure you can do the math and see where it goes wrong. :)

Its not sustainable. Just look what they do to food and what we eat and the side effects of that. Its the global scale that is messed up but it all starts with each individual. Simple as that.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm guessing this is to entice consumers to join IUP while keeping their monthly payments low with the trade in of an eligible device?

Desperate times that we live in when Apple has resorted to this.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
The problem is vanity and stupidity. There really is no reason to upgrade every year or even every other year. People who tell you otherwise just lack common sense and/or like wasting money and creating more waste.
In the old age people would use products for a long time an repair shops were a common things. Nowadays, everything is disposable. When I go to my grandma and see what she is using I'm impressed that its still working and I have to say that some old things are just much better than the crap we get these days.

I'm still on iPhone 6. I think 4-5 years cycle these days is probably a bit more sensible. Also the tech jump is much better. Before iPhone 6 I had iPhone 4 which was on its last leg.

Anyway, you know what I mean :)
I completely agree with everything you just said. Too many people on here are the type of Apple fans that only care about having the latest phone so they can show it off in public to compensate for their insecurities. They yearn for the newest Apple device. Someone on here actually just left a comment saying $1000 isn’t a lot of money.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Thats the problem right there. Society reached an unreasonable point. I have the money to buy new iPhone every month but that doesn't make it a good decision. Its not (and shouldn't be) about money.

But, that is just according to you, your values, your opinions, and your behavior. Not really rooted in anything objective.

For the record, I do not buy a phone every year, and am currently using an iPhone SE, but I think if someone whats to spend their money on buying the newest tech, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, it is their money.

I am sure if someone takes a look at all the things you spend money on there will be something there that other people consider it stupid to buy.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
It genuinely is refreshing to see someone with such common sense. It blows my mind that people squander money each year on 1k+ devices. I'd much rather spend it on my mortgage or going on holiday.
I totally agree with you. I'd rather save my money towards retirement and set aside for any unforeseen emergency.

Reactions: ThaRuler

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I think it depends on the individual, if they can afford it, why care?

Some people are really into tech, and wanting the latest and greatest that is out there. It is like a hobby to them.

If it doesn't impact me and mine, why would I care.
I am sure there are plenty of things I like that other people think are a waste of time and money. Cars come to mind.

You can say there is no need to upgrade every year, but one could make the argument that there is no need to ever upgrade or even own a cell phone.

It kind of does impact you and your money. If people upgrade every year, Apple will see no reason to not keep increasing the prices.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
There's a disconnect here that I don't get. Apple is supposedly in trouble and having to make unusual price cuts. But to me it seems like they've made less cuts than in the past.

Either 2 or 3 years ago I got an iPhone 7 around Black Friday, and it was literally half the cost. It was on Verizon, brand new, and you paid in monthly installments but they gave you credits so that that the 128 GB phone came out to around $350 or so (and they were out of 128 GB and gave me the 256 GB with no additional fee). There was no contract, but if you stopped Verizon service you paid off the balance of the phone without the credits. So kind of like an on-contract deal but with less risk. And this was the same year that the iPhone 7 had come out. It was the newest model.

Was that an anomaly? I'm certainly very price sensitive, and I already had an iPhone 5s. But to me it seemed like such a good deal I thought I'd grab it as my "new" phone. I've been very happy with both it and the iPhone 5s.

I have not seen such deals from carriers for the iPhones recently, but maybe I just wasn't looking. Even if another $350 flagship came along, I can't really justify it based on my personal needs. But if I hadn't already bought the iPhone 7, I'd snap up an iPhone XR for $350.

Reactions: Trin813

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I totally agree with you. I'd rather save my money towards retirement and set aside for any unforeseen emergency.

I know what you mean. However with the monthly payment it would be pretty easy to off set it by having one less can of coke a day or whatever. However $25 easily buys a share of AMD. The fact this offer is even tempting me makes me think there are more than a few that will take Apple up on it.

Does anybody know if you are obligated to buy AppleCare? If so the deal isn't as sweet.
[doublepost=1548447512][/doublepost]
There's a disconnect here that I don't get. Apple is supposedly in trouble and having to make unusual price cuts. But to me it seems like they've made less cuts than in the past.

Either 2 or 3 years ago I got an iPhone 7 around Black Friday, and it was literally half the cost. It was on Verizon, brand new, and you paid in monthly installments but they gave you credits so that that the 128 GB phone came out to around $350 or so (and they were out of 128 GB and gave me the 256 GB with no additional fee). There was no contract, but if you stopped Verizon service you paid off the balance of the phone without the credits. So kind of like an on-contract deal but with less risk. And this was the same year that the iPhone 7 had come out. It was the newest model.

Was that an anomaly? I'm certainly very price sensitive, and I already had an iPhone 5s. But to me it seemed like such a good deal I thought I'd grab it as my "new" phone. I've been very happy with both it and the iPhone 5s.

I have not seen such deals from carriers for the iPhones recently, but maybe I just wasn't looking. Even if another $350 flagship came along, I can't really justify it based on my personal needs. But if I hadn't already bought the iPhone 7, I'd snap up an iPhone XR for $350.

That was presumably Verizon financing it, what makes this different is it is Apple.

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
I'm still rocking my 7 Plus. Was thinking about upgrading with the 2019 models but if Apple still pulls some shenanigans with selling phones for $1k, I'm gonna keep my 7 for a 4th year or move to android.

Reactions: ThaRuler

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Pretty much Apple ecosystem is locked. So they can relax for next 4-5 years. I don't think they will lower the prices next year also :(

Profit per unit matters more then overall units sold. Apple has extremely loyal customers especially iPhone buyers so they are unlikely to switch to another brand even with some moderate price increase. Yes Apple may lose a few of the customers that switch back and forth, but they will never lose their "core" iPhone customers. The brand is just too strong. Continuing with current pricing or slight increases will easily make up for some overall softening of the smartphone market. If necessary they can run a few specials like this to encourage buyers. I don't really see many issues with maintaining excellent profitability for the next few years. They may run into some issues long term, but who knows where things will be at that point.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I completely agree with everything you just said. Too many people on here are the type of Apple fans that only care about having the latest phone so they can show it off in public to compensate for their insecurities. They yearn for the newest Apple device. Someone on here actually just left a comment saying $1000 isn’t a lot of money.
I agree with you. There are also people out there that live beyond their means and carry a huge debt load.

Reactions: ChrisMoBro

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I'm happy with my 8, it's barely 15 months old, I will end up waiting to see what comes around end of 2019.
My wife loves her SE, and would much prefer the SE form-factor/size, but Apple's not offering anything. So, she's looking at the Xs. I didn't see any trade-in value for an SE, though. :(

Note that when you buy an iPhone, you can put down a deposit of any size you want, and then pay the remainder off in equal installments (12 or 24).

I did this recently with my kids. My daughter upgraded from an SE (I cracked her screen, and Apple refused to repair the screen due to a water damage sensor, despite the fact we had literally replaced the battery 2 days before, but that's another story) to a 7 and my son updated from a 5s to a 7 as well. For both of them, they weighed the price vs capacity (128GB), and both picked the 7 over the 8 or anything more recent.

Reactions: ChrisMoBro

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
But, that is just according to you, your values, your opinions, and your behavior. Not really rooted in anything objective.

For the record, I do not buy a phone every year, and am currently using an iPhone SE, but I think if someone whats to spend their money on buying the newest tech, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, it is their money.

I am sure if someone takes a look at all the things you spend money on there will be something there that other people consider it stupid to buy.

I'll give you an example for my experience from something else.
"Wasabi" brand now offers individually wrapped sushi pieces in plastic. So I was having lunch and my colleague brought lunch from this company. He chose a selection of pieces and after the lunch he had a mountain of plastic to throw away. Of course, essentially its his decision and his money and its fine if its one person but imagine if everyone did the same. On global scale it would be a disaster (and to be fair there are tons of issues with plastic already). Back to the society - the fact that we have individually wrapped sushi pieces in plastic is already wrong on so many levels and thats the problem. We are so spoiled that our actions affect other things like domino effect.
I don't want to be pedantic over this, that was not my intention. I was simply commenting that as a society we are going in the wrong direction and people upgrading every year is just one example of that insanity. If we continue with this pace you can imagine the conditions we (our grandkids actually) will be living in.

past few years the wars were over oil. Next century it might be over clean water and food.

Sure, lets all upgrade our phones each year and do other things all the time because its "our" decision, right?

Well, everything has consequences. I would prefer that more people would jump in here and say - you know what, its actually right. Lets upgrade less often and make the use of what we have as it is the sensible choice.

I may not be perfect myself but I try to be conscious about everything and if there is a better way I try to do it. And you know why? Because the one thing I 'dream' about is clean water, air and clean food because that affects all of us.

Sorry for the sideway note. Just wanted to use this example as I feel its valid and relateable

Reactions: Ladybug

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I know what you mean. However with the monthly payment it would be pretty easy to off set it by having one less can of coke a day or whatever. However $25 easily buys a share of AMD. The fact this offer is even tempting me makes me think there are more than a few that will take Apple up on it.

TBH, I don't want to add anymore monthly payments. I bought an iPhone 7 for my kid and I did the 24 mth payment which was lumped into my wireless bill. I have a few more months to go before it is fully paid off and I can't wait for it to be over and done with. I'd rather pay in full and be done with.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
8 in 10 Americans live paycheck to paycheck!
Yup. Some people are so out of touch with reality thinking 1000 dollar product is cheap.
[doublepost=1548448547][/doublepost]
And still not a good deal.

I’m really curious how they will price the next iPhone generation now that their ripoff strategy is blown and customers are finally starting to vote with their wallets.
They will increase 150 percent more from current price to “meet their quota.”

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Neither me nor you represent anyone. Everyone i know buys iPhones outright to avoid lock in with a contract.

Having people tight/stuck in a contract so they can get what they couldn’t afford is more of a North American thing.
And this promotion is US only. That’s why I was referring to US marketing. I’ll bet th4 majority of Us customers don’t buy their phone outright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.