Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
1602639036665.gif

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
You misunderstand something, a few things actually. First of all, Apple included the USB-C adaptor with the iPhone 11 Pro last year, so you're wrong that "They never in their history Included one for the iPhone." Secondly, Apple sells a lot of devices with USB-C power adaptors. Users who have a recent Macbook or iPad Pro will have a USB-C power adaptor, so will many android switchers, or people who own other non-Apple USB-C devices. Most new windows laptops have a USB-C charging port too. Point being: despite there being less USB-C adaptors than USB-A there are still a lot of them, and many people don't need another. Lastly, for those living exclusively in a USB-A to lightning world, your existing adaptors and cables still work...

Now to the meat of your argument. Apple's intentions. You're right, Apple did it for profit. What's your point though? Can a move for profit not be good for the environment as well? My suggestion to anyone that wants a new charger would be to shop around for the one that best fits your needs. If you think Apple is ripping you off on the charger, send your $19 to another company. The chargers Apple sells are not at all special. If the price of the phone is too high for your liking without a charger, don't buy it. Longer upgrade cycles are better for the environment too.

In summary. Many people have usb-c adapters. Many don't, but their existing lighting cables and usb-A chargers still work. Some might need a new charger, but they don't need to buy it from Apple. Apple absolutely did it for profit, but it is also good for the environment. The world is nuanced, but it just seems you just don't want to pay for a USB-C adapter, and somehow that's the "enviro peoples" fault.

Yes my mistake on the iPhone 11 Pro. That hardly makes a difference when it was 1 year they offered it.

Also, I don’t care what other chargers I do or don’t have. If you are taking away from me, make it up to me in price, period.

No, a move cannot be made for both environment and profit when one of them is completely false. Apple simply wants people to purchase the charging brick separately because its an extra $20 they can bilk out of the consumer. If it was truly for the environment they would stop selling it all together. If you didn’t think Apple employees will be telling customers that they need to purchase a charging brick before leaving the store then you are out of your mind. Of course they will and people will unknowingly buy them because thats what they think they will need.

Yes I’m aware that they can be purchase elsewhere, but I’m not going to listen to you or anyone else in here tell me or anyone else that Apple did this for anything other than pure greed. An environmental move would be to say “we aren’t selling these items anymore because they are bad for the environment. There are other suppliers that can meet this need for you.”

So please stop trying to defend this, it can’t be defended.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Not including is not taking. They offer a reasonably priced option for those few in need.
My new phone will charge on the exact same chargers my household has charged the last couple of devices with. Could not care for another crap set of EarPods or chargers I don’t get to use.
Well, great for you!

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Apple PR just couldn't get this one right... This year only swallow the pill & , just make the phone $25 less than last year, then resume typical pricing for the iPhone 13. Just so we don't have to hear the whining noise for the next 6 months.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
Less impact is better than full impact. If they don’t put one in each box, that’s potentially millions that won’t get thrown away or shoved in a closet somewhere. I have used the same 3rd party charger for 3 years now... which means my last 3 phones I didn’t use the power block OR the cable. I welcome this change.
The issue I have is the fact that they are changing the cable too. How many people have USB-C chargers lying around? You‘re apparently are ok being “nickel and dimed“ but when you pay $1k for a phone, it should come with everything you need for it to work. Period. It’s like buying a new house with no lightbulbs. What‘s $100 worth of light bulbs on a $500k house? $1k phone and you can’t even charge it that night without buying something new. C’mon!

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Yes my mistake on the iPhone 11 Pro. That hardly makes a difference when it was 1 year they offered it.

Also, I don’t care what other chargers I do or don’t have. If you are taking away from me, make it up to me in price, period.

How much extra is the state of the art 5nm fab for the A14 and the OLED screen worth though? I'd wager more than the charger. Also, if they included a 20W charger, they should actually increase the price even more by your logic. The 20W charger is worth more than the 5W one included with the non pro models last year...

No, a move cannot be made for both environment and profit when one of them is completely false. Apple simply wants people to purchase the charging brick separately because its an extra $20 they can bilk out of the consumer.

But it's not false, and you've provided no evidence to back up your claim.

If it was truly for the environment they would stop selling it all together.

I never said no one would need a charging brick. In fact, I said some would need it. The world needs fewer chargers, not zero chargers. Phones don't run on air. So someone will still need to sell them to those who need one. Obviously Apple would want to be the one selling a high margin product like that, but again there are better options out there. it's better to buy the charger that's best for you than for everyone to get the same one in a box with their phone.

If you didn’t think Apple employees will be telling customers that they need to purchase a charging brick before leaving the store then you are out of your mind. Of course they will and people will unknowingly buy them because thats what they think they will need.

Again, some will buy chargers, like I said they would. Some won't, so less chargers will be produced. We're not breaking new ground here. Apple is a for profit company, so they are going to try and make that profit. Does my support of removing the charger from the box (because there are real environmental benefits) mean I support predatory sales practices? Of course not.

Yes I’m aware that they can be purchase elsewhere, but I’m not going to listen to you or anyone else in here tell me or anyone else that Apple did this for anything other than pure greed. An environmental move would be to say “we aren’t selling these items anymore because they are bad for the environment. There are other suppliers that can meet this need for you.”

You literally said you'd wait for an explanation. So you're saying you were lying then? Now we're getting somewhere. You're upset that you won't get a "free" USB-C charger in the box (nothing is actually free, the cost is accounted for), and you're not going to listen to anything anyone else says. Got it.

So please stop trying to defend this, it can’t be defended.

Obviously not worth my time.

Reactions: xDENTALPLANx

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How much extra is the state of the art 5nm fab for the A14 and the OLED screen worth though?
Improvements and additions of all kinds petty much every year with iPhones and really anything without any accessories being removed to "make up" for it all. That aspect of it all is rather moot.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
How much extra is the state of the art 5nm fab for the A14 and the OLED screen worth though? I'd wager more than the charger. Also, if they included a 20W charger, they should actually increase the price even more by your logic. The 20W charger is worth more than the 5W one included with the non pro models last year...

But it's not false, and you've provided no evidence to back up your claim.

I never said no one would need a charging brick. In fact, I said some would need it. The world needs fewer chargers, not zero chargers. Phones don't run on air. So someone will still need to sell them to those who need one. Obviously Apple would want to be the one selling a high margin product like that, but again there are better options out there. it's better to buy the charger that's best for you than for everyone to get the same one in a box with their phone.

Again, some will buy chargers, like I said they would. Some won't, so less chargers will be produced. We're not breaking new ground here. Apple is a for profit company, so they are going to try and make that profit. Does my support of removing the charger from the box (because there are real environmental benefits) mean I support predatory sales practices? Of course not.

You literally said you'd wait for an explanation. So you're saying you were lying then? Now we're getting somewhere. You're upset that you won't get a "free" USB-C charger in the box (nothing is actually free, the cost is accounted for), and you're not going to listen to anything anyone else says. Got it.

Obviously not worth my time.

As long as you agree that its predatory sales practice I’m with you. I just don’t and won’t buy into the environmental nonsense they are spewing out.

FFS they throw in stickers in every box. Why not save a few trees and stop putting those worthless pieces of trash in there.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
That’s not a matching analogy. Most people can get their new iPhone to work with their existing hardware chargers they already own.

That's like justifying buying a new car that doesn't include tires and reusing tires from your old car.

Reactions: Zen_Arcade

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Improvements and additions of all kinds petty much every year with iPhones and really anything without any accessories being removed to "make up" for it all. That aspect of it all is rather moot.

Switching from LCD to OLED is most definitely not something that happens every year. Last time it happened with the iPhone X, prices jumped significantly. Similarly, Apple's previous two generations of chips were on the 7nm process. A new process requires new tooling that Apple invests in, and it's not something that happens every year. It wasn't my idea to suggest that Apple adjust prices based on what accessories are included. I was just pointing out that other costs are also variable from year to year (and probably more significant). More specifically, you can't look at the current prices, compare them to last year, and 'figure out' how much Apple did or didn't take off for the removed accessories.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And for all of the environment defenders in here, please explain to me why I all of a sudden have a multitude of usb-c chargers for my iPhone. I find it curious that every single iPhone ever has had a standard USB-A connection. And then magically, the year Apple removes the charging brick, they include a usb-c charging cable?

Can someone please explain that to me? Where are all of these usb-c iPhone chargers Apple claims we all have lying around. They never in their history Included one for the iPhone.

Ohhhhhh, its so people will purchase the $19 usb-c brick because they’ll need it when they walk out of the store.

Where are my enviro people who can explain. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

For me, I have a number of USB-C and wireless chargers lying around because my iphone is not the only device I have to charge.

Here’s my bedside charging setup. The brick on the left is a 27w charger with 1 usb-a and usb-c port.
825cb6031a1358ddb7e5f87b32bb8f7c.jpg

And here’s the 100w charging brick I bought to charge my devices at work (including a laptop and iPad Pro).
eb129cedff645be10dacd58fd441449e.jpg

And yup, I do have 2 usb-c to lightning cables I bought with my own money. So in terms of charging infrastructure, I am pretty much set. My 5w charging brick and EarPods are still sitting in their box untouched.

In addition, I feel that in addition to removing the peripherals, this also helps Apple save in shipping costs. All of which come together to help offset what would otherwise have been a higher price tag due to the increases costs of including 5g and well, if iPhones are costing more, then it’s because they cost more to design (as evidenced by Apple’s declining margins).

People just can’t look at the price tag from one year to the next, see that Apple is bundling 1 or 2 items less with this year’s iphone, and conclude that they are being ripped off because of it. It’s a package deal.

So in this case, the accessories I don’t get are not those which I would have been using anyways (already have AirPods and superior charging alternatives), I don’t really care about the environmental impact, but I see this as helping to offset what may have been a higher price tag.

Either way, nothing lost on my end.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Switching from LCD to OLED is most definitely not something that happens every year. Last time it happened with the iPhone X, prices jumped significantly. Similarly, Apple's previous two generations of chips were on the 7nm process. A new process requires new tooling that Apple invests in, and it's not something that happens every year. It wasn't my idea to suggest that Apple adjust prices based on what accessories are included. I was just pointing out that other costs are also variable from year to year (and probably more significant). More specifically, you can't look at the current prices, compare them to last year, and 'figure out' how much Apple did or didn't take off for the removed accessories.
Certainly plenty of things that could be spun to fit something or other, but the inconsistencies in the provided explanations and the end effects are still there nonetheless.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Certainly plenty of things that could be spun to fit something or other, but the inconsistencies in the provided explanations and the end effects are still there nonetheless.

I don't think there's anything inconsistent with "we don't know the build costs, so we don't know how the removal of accessories impacted the price." Which is essentially my position on that discussion.

If you want to discuss inconsistencies, why are people asking for the retail value of a 20W USB-C charger when Apple removed a 5W USB-A charger from the non pro models?

sean+mac

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Another question, so do you have to use the USB-C cable? Can't you just take your current iPhone cable and plug it into your current power adapter and charge that way? Yes it may be considerably slower.
100% yes. I charge my iPhone 11 Pro with whatever Lightning cable happens to be near me ... 5W, 8W, 18W. This includes my USB-C to Lightning cables, like the one it was packaged with, sure. But I have more USB-A Lightning cables just kicking around and they do the job whenever I'm passively charging. The only time I really care and seek USB-C is if I realize my battery is at 5% and I need to leave the house for an extended time. And if I find an outlet with a USB 3 fast charger block on it first, that is probably fine to boost reasonably quickly unless I REALLY need the full charge quickly.

Can the USB to lightning cable I have still be used with the iPhone 12 Pro?
100% yes. The lightning side of your phone doesn't care. Depending on your USB-A adapter it may be charging at 5W or faster. Older USB-A Macs, most PCs, some TVs, some power bars, iPad bricks and many third party power bricks all charge modern iPhones at a higher power than 5W with USB-A.

They know that a lot of people will need one of these chargers, because the piles of old 5w chargers are useless. It's just greed. Plain and simple. They could at least be honest. They are being disloyal to their customers.
I am willing to bet most consumers have a mix of USB-A blocks around that they're using with existing lightning cables, not just the little 5W iPhone ones around, as per my above responses. And honestly, my iPhone 11 Pro came with a USB-C block but I still don't mind "slow charging" 80% of the time on a USB-A port if it is overnight or I am just working nearby at my laptop. Not much worse than Qi charing speeds on the slow end, and some USB-A can go up to 12W (although I agree most people probably don't have that wattage kicking around unless they're iPad owners.)

Many iPhone buyers will have a few lightning cables. One at home, perhaps one in their car or bag. These will all work just fine. Many of those buyers probably bought third party power adapters which are faster than the 5W Apple ones already, without even realizing it.

...please explain to me why I all of a sudden have a multitude of usb-c chargers for my iPhone. I find it curious that every single iPhone ever has had a standard USB-A connection. And then magically, the year Apple removes the charging brick, they include a usb-c charging cable?

Can someone please explain that to me? Where are all of these usb-c iPhone chargers Apple claims we all have lying around. They never in their history Included one for the iPhone.

Ohhhhhh, its so people will purchase the $19 usb-c brick because they’ll need it when they walk out of the store.
I suspect many buyers (not all) will probably just ignore the cable and use the wall adapter/charging solution they used before, assuming they're coming from Apple. If they're coming from Android ... decently high chance they have a USB-C adapter.

One time I was going through old boxes of Apple things in my household and realized half never had the cables even removed from the box. Yes, not everyone is as privileged to have so many Apple things, but I know my household will not need to buy any more adapter blocks on future phone purchases. I am 100% okay with this (and the lack of wired headphones.)

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
For me, I have a number of USB-C and wireless chargers lying around because my iphone is not the only device I have to charge.

Here’s my bedside charging setup. The brick on the left is a 27w charger with 1 usb-a and usb-c port.
825cb6031a1358ddb7e5f87b32bb8f7c.jpg
I take it you are single? Not many spouses or partners would allow that messy eyesore on the bedside table:rolleyes:

laurieballard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2016
We have several wireless chargers in the house.

Even when we travel, we just take one of those with us so my iPhone 11 cable and charger is still sitting in the box.

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
If Apple is want to be so "eco" (in fact they are greedy because they could make an unchecked checkbox option for a power supply when you order iPhone) why they do not sell "bulk" products without a paper box? Why they make everything to make a local repairs harder and harder? Let's imagine: if Apple colects Macs with faulty logic boards they need to be transported back to Foxconn in China to be remanufactured and then repaired product is transported again to California to sell as refurbished. Even if they collect all products and send it using one freighter this mean tons of burned petrol and sea pollution!!! Is there someone who saw Apple energy budget for keeping remanufacturing production line? They do not care about it because it is in China.

benjaminstoke

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
So to save the planet, Apple wants more money. Love the spin at that "event" today. It's not about saving the environment. It's about charging for the things that came free when you bought that overpriced Iphone to begin with.
SENT FROM MY ANDROID
[automerge]1602660928[/automerge]
This is like a car without tires ! Lol so lame
You may still have one from your recent ANDROID

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
The problem with wireless charing is efficiency about 60-70% so 30% of generated energy is just wasted for nothing. Apple cuts cost not selling power adapter but offer wireless charger that is against ecology and total absurd when we take into consideration environmental predictions. We need to just save energy (every WattHour) not waste!

Gyio Lpz

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020

With the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models no longer shipping with a power adapter, Apple has started selling the 20W USB-C power adapter that was first introduced with the iPad Air on a standalone basis for $19.

usbcpoweradapter20w.jpg

The 20W power adapter is included in the box with the iPad Air, but those who want one for use with the new iPhone models will need to shell out $19.

All of the new iPhone 12 models and older iPhone models ship only with a USB-C to Lightning cable, with customers expected to provide their own power adapters. Most people likely have several USB-C power adapters on hand from past device purchases, but this will be an inconvenience for those who have few power adapters available already.

Apple's selling price for the new 20W USB-C power adapter is cheaper than the older 18W USB-C model that used to be available for $29.

According to Apple, the power adapter and EarPods were removed from the iPhone boxes to reduce the company's environmental impact, but rumors have also suggested that this transition helps to save a few dollars to offset the cost of the more expensive 5G modems included in the new devices.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling 20W USB-C Power Adapter for $19

With the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models no longer shipping with a power adapter, Apple has started selling the 20W USB-C power adapter that was first introduced with the iPad Air on a standalone basis for $19.

usbcpoweradapter20w.jpg

The 20W power adapter is included in the box with the iPad Air, but those who want one for use with the new iPhone models will need to shell out $19.

All of the new iPhone 12 models and older iPhone models ship only with a USB-C to Lightning cable, with customers expected to provide their own power adapters. Most people likely have several USB-C power adapters on hand from past device purchases, but this will be an inconvenience for those who have few power adapters available already.

Apple's selling price for the new 20W USB-C power adapter is cheaper than the older 18W USB-C model that used to be available for $29.

According to Apple, the power adapter and EarPods were removed from the iPhone boxes to reduce the company's environmental impact, but rumors have also suggested that this transition helps to save a few dollars to offset the cost of the more expensive 5G modems included in the new devices.

But the cable that comes with the new iPhones is USB C to Lightning.

Edit: Ah you realized it yourself already.
I don't have any extra USB-C chargers. So, I will need to buy one if I get the MagSafe charger. :rolleyes:

usbcpoweradapter20w.jpg

Wtf that’s a steal, a bang for ur buck! Hahaha jk this is a slap in the face with a hand full of nails, thanks Apple

Reactions: Braderunner
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.