Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
iPhoneleaks!!!!

- iPhone 13 will come in separated parts. You will can mount for yourself, if want to.
- iPhone 14 will come with no display. You will can buy it separated and mount it on your iPhone
- iPhone 15 will be completely virtual. I still don't know how it will work. More informations as soon as I get them.

Reactions: Slash787

Gatto37

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
Oh well... So now my car's usb outlet will be absolutley useless, unless I get an extra usb-a to lighting cable, or adaptor... :/

Reactions: Boyyai

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I can't wait to hear from the people next year who are defending this when Apple removes the cable and tells everyone "There are piles of wireless chargers in every home so to save the environment we've removed the cable. We've also removed the port because no one uses a cable anyway. Also, look at this incredible new wireless charger we just released."

Should make for some interesting threads.

Reactions: Slash787 and Boyyai

JCarmona

macrumors regular
May 23, 2014
The thing is that I don't have an USB-C wall charger. I have TONS of USB-A/B wall chargers.
If you're changing the ports, include the damn wall adaptor.

I need to either continue using my old cable (making the one in the box useless) or buy the adaptor; either options are not "eco-friendly".

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That's like justifying buying a new car that doesn't include tires and reusing tires from your old car.

Good luck charging your car with tyres.
Google to follow suit shortly. Better switch quickly.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
My perfect setup for iPhone charging would go like this :

1.iPhone -> 2.lightning to usb-c dongle -> 3.usb-c to usb cable -> 4.usb to usb-c dongle -> 5. this Power Adapter -> 6.european power adapter dongle

All of those, of course, enviromentaly friendly and reusable, goes without saying.

Who's with me?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You’ve got to be kidding me. If Apple was so environmentally conscious they would stop selling the charger all together. Telling us “we care too much about the environment to manufacture these. If you need one please purchase one from the many, many manufacturers that supply them.”

Its a complete joke.

Two different sizes of the waste mountain.

Are you seriously arguing that the impact on the environment is the same if you give freebies away rather than selling them?
I think you know better and once you get over your hurt feelings that the mostly pointless charger costs extra you might agree one day.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
This sums it up nicely. “We are removing the charger from the box because we are launching a new wireless charger.”

I would bet money that they flirted the idea of getting rid of the cable too.

Which is not needed to operate and solely an accessory. Right.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
And for all of the environment defenders in here, please explain to me why I all of a sudden have a multitude of usb-c chargers for my iPhone. I find it curious that every single iPhone ever has had a standard USB-A connection. And then magically, the year Apple removes the charging brick, they include a usb-c charging cable?

Can someone please explain that to me? Where are all of these usb-c iPhone chargers Apple claims we all have lying around. They never in their history Included one for the iPhone.

Ohhhhhh, its so people will purchase the $19 usb-c brick because they’ll need it when they walk out of the store.

Where are my enviro people who can explain. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

All your old chargers haven’t stopped working hence you are not tasked to purchase anything new. Especially since you claim to have so many already which we all do. Problem solved. For those born just now there is a charger just in case.
I know it sounds complex to you but think it through. Apple did too.

Reactions: sean+mac

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
All your old chargers haven’t stopped working hence you are not tasked to purchase anything new. Especially since you claim to have so many already which we all do. Problem solved. For those born just now there is a charger just in case.
I know it sounds complex to you but think it through. Apple did too.

Lol ok pal.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
100% yes. I charge my iPhone 11 Pro with whatever Lightning cable happens to be near me ... 5W, 8W, 18W. This includes my USB-C to Lightning cables, like the one it was packaged with, sure. But I have more USB-A Lightning cables just kicking around and they do the job whenever I'm passively charging. The only time I really care and seek USB-C is if I realize my battery is at 5% and I need to leave the house for an extended time. And if I find an outlet with a USB 3 fast charger block on it first, that is probably fine to boost reasonably quickly unless I REALLY need the full charge quickly.

100% yes. The lightning side of your phone doesn't care. Depending on your USB-A adapter it may be charging at 5W or faster. Older USB-A Macs, most PCs, some TVs, some power bars, iPad bricks and many third party power bricks all charge modern iPhones at a higher power than 5W with USB-A.

I am willing to bet most consumers have a mix of USB-A blocks around that they're using with existing lightning cables, not just the little 5W iPhone ones around, as per my above responses. And honestly, my iPhone 11 Pro came with a USB-C block but I still don't mind "slow charging" 80% of the time on a USB-A port if it is overnight or I am just working nearby at my laptop. Not much worse than Qi charing speeds on the slow end, and some USB-A can go up to 12W (although I agree most people probably don't have that wattage kicking around unless they're iPad owners.)

Many iPhone buyers will have a few lightning cables. One at home, perhaps one in their car or bag. These will all work just fine. Many of those buyers probably bought third party power adapters which are faster than the 5W Apple ones already, without even realizing it.

I suspect many buyers (not all) will probably just ignore the cable and use the wall adapter/charging solution they used before, assuming they're coming from Apple. If they're coming from Android ... decently high chance they have a USB-C adapter.

One time I was going through old boxes of Apple things in my household and realized half never had the cables even removed from the box. Yes, not everyone is as privileged to have so many Apple things, but I know my household will not need to buy any more adapter blocks on future phone purchases. I am 100% okay with this (and the lack of wired headphones.)
I suspect...I bet...I guess...I feel like....probably...most likely....hilarious.
It's amazing, how some people read someone else's opinion, and then try to tell them they are wrong. Because they feel differently.
Also, the MagSafe charger requires a USB-C power adapter. "I am willing to bet" most customers will want that.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
What will your defense be next year when they remove the port all together and tell us that we all have enough wireless chargers?

Just vote with your money then. Doesn’t take a prophet to know that’s ultimately going to happen.
Besides I charge wirelessly without issue for years already.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Just vote with your money then. Doesn’t take a prophet to know that’s ultimately going to happen.
Besides I charge wirelessly without issue for years already.

Yeah ok but you didn’t answer the question. How are you going to defend Apple next year when they remove the port and force people to pollute the environment by buying a massive amount of wireless chargers?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
" According to Apple, the power adapter and EarPods were removed from the ‌iPhone‌ boxes to reduce the company's environmental impact, "

Impact is impact. It doesn't matter if Apple included it or not due to environmental impact...the fact that I now need to acquire a new one, that comes in a box full of paper and plastic and is manufactured somewhere on this planet is STILL IMPACT.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay for one if I opted to buy a new iPhone...I would make them give me one for free. Seriously, this is ridiculous.

I think the idea is that chargers are ubiquitous now, if they sell 40 million iPhones thats another 40 million chargers pumped out. Instead say 5 million of customers want new chargers, so they will buy 5 million and all in all they saved the world building 35 million chargers. If other manufacturers follow suit maybe they will save the environment 70M chargers made yearly.

Reactions: sean+mac

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Yeah ok but you didn’t answer the question. How are you going to defend Apple next year when they remove the port and force people to pollute the environment by buying a massive amount of wireless chargers?

if they remove the wire and force wireless charging I might as well abandon iOS. I am not putting electricity that travels by air near my bed.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I do think its comical that Apple have put a big emphasis on their decision not to include a charging plug in the box with the new iPhones for environmental reasons (to save waste). They then take the decision to provide a lightning to USB-C cable for which most consumers will have to buy a suitable plug adapter to use! lol. Environmental decision or shrewd deflection to make more money knowing people will need to spend £19 on a charger?? :)

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I think the idea is that chargers are ubiquitous now, if they sell 40 million iPhones thats another 40 million chargers pumped out. Instead say 5 million of customers want new chargers, so they will buy 5 million and all in all they saved the world building 35 million chargers. If other manufacturers follow suit maybe they will save the environment 70M chargers made yearly.

USB-C chargers are not ubiquitous

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I’m not attempting to defend them. The rumour mill has speculated that the portless phone is coming.
Even the SJ biography mentioned that at Apple omissions are regarded as a great form of elegance (SJ at some stage didn’t even like F keys on the keyboards).

I think they’re headed that way. When, no idea.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
SENT FROM MY ANDROID
[automerge]1602660928[/automerge]

You may still have one from your recent ANDROID
Well that’s being used for an android. Lol
At least Android has it figured out. Again, issue is apple assume people have USC type chargers just laying around like the 5 million dollar house they portrayed in their keynote lol!

• Haha
Reactions: jbachandouris

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Like your case seems to be what Im thinking, most people upgrade cycle is not 1 year, its 2-3 years and no phones came with USB-C back then from Apple at least.... The use of USB-C is justified, but not doing anything for users to actually be able to use it when you get the phone, unless you pay 20$ to CHARGE YOUR PHONE.. I wonder if this is allowed by law, there is got to be something at least in EU laws to prevent this, how are you buying a device and cant make it work unless you buy something else, or supposedly have something previously to make it work... just mind boggling..
Lol, never bought anything with “batteries not included“ on the box? Good luck with that lawsuit. I am sure that your idea is boggling more than my mind.

Overall the responses in this thread seem to be missing the point. A 5w charger will charge any of these phones overnight when, I would hazard a guess, most people charge their phones. If you have a 5w charger, and if the majority of people are being honest you do, you also have a USB Type A to Lightning connector. I believe the people who have sold their previous phone with their one-and-only charger and cable will be in the significant minority.

So, really, who is being inconvenienced by this move by Apple? In truth, very few. In the meantime millions of chargers are not being put out into the world which will actually do good. I would put that in the communal win column.

What I do read in this thread is a great deal of grandstanding and pontification, truth be damned, which is representative of the current level of discourse in out world. That’s the real tragedy here.

sean+mac

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
Canada
I suspect...I bet...I guess...I feel like....probably...most likely....hilarious.

It's amazing, how some people read someone else's opinion, and then try to tell them they are wrong. Because they feel differently.

In defence of my post, the initial half provided a (hopefully helpful) response to a couple of people who were uncertain if they were required to use the USB-C cable in the first place. In addition to clarifying old chargers and lightning cables will work fine, I gave my personal feedback on what it is like to own an iPhone which came with a USB-C Lightning cable. I'll summarize: for my personal experience, it doesn't really matter much for 85% of the charging I do. I most often use USB-A adapters as I have more of those plugs positioned around the house.

I'm 100% fine with Apple making this change and it will not prevent me from buying a phone. As I said in my original post, I've often not even removed some of the lightning cables or 5W blocks from the boxes over the years.

I'll concede that I should have split up my my troll-esk, unsubstantiated opinion "many average consumers not on Internet forums probably won't care" to a few other people's equally opinionated messages that "all consumers will be outraged" into a second post as that was generally less helpful to the conversation.

If you're someone who is pissed that Apple doesn't include a $30-now-$20 power adapter ... sure, cool, you're entitled to feeling that way. But not everyone is going to feel the same. I am sharing my perspective as somebody who thinks it isn't a big deal, which is just valid as those posts from people who are angry about it sharing their opinion on the matter.

• Haha
Reactions: Braderunner
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.