Apple Offering Pre-Approvals to iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Ahead of iPhone 8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Last I heard from people who started iUP with the 6S/6S Plus and when the upgraded to the 7 / 7 Plus, they did a soft hit and not a hard hit. I hope that's the case for those who are currently on iUP.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Again, some people last year reported that they never got a hard inquiry and wasn't on their report after many months. So it's hit or miss.

2. carpleror macrumors 6502

The logic is: You complain that Apple's iPhone 8 has too much bezel. Apple offers iPhone X with almost no bezel, yet you're not satisfied (for whatever reason). Apple is offering you a bezel-less phone, yet you're still not happy, therefore you have no right to complain. It's simple logic.

In all honesty, I hope you don't buy either phone. Leaves more stock for the rest of us happy customers...

3. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

Apple basically buy the phone back from your for whatever is outstanding on your loan, as long as you've paid off 50% or more (12 payments), and then you take out a new 24 month loan for the new phone.

4. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Anyone know if this applies UK iUP customers and if anyone has managed to do it? Girlfriend will be making use of her iUP for the first time this year and I seem to remember last year being a complete mess for these customers re: reserving devices.

5. Totalkharnage macrumors 6502a

Totalkharnage

Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, just catching up. But the UK IUP is over 20 months instead of 24 months in the US so that bumps the monthly price up more.
    See my post above, IUP is over different lengths.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I had a similar problem and worked around it. On your phone settings go where I marked there and change iTunes and App Store to whatever AppleID is associated with your upgrade program. Then go back to the app and you should be able to click to determine eligibility then go through the process of selected your iPhone 8 and pre-enrolling in the new upgrade program/contract. Once it is done it leaves you with a screen where you can come back Friday AM and just click to make the purchase.

Like you said, this will bork your iTunes and App uprades, but I'm just not going to do either until after I order on Friday. Then I'll just change the setting back to the account associated with the iTunes and App purchases. Doing this has not effected my ability to use any apps that I can tell.

I'm not on T-Mobile like you, so things may be different.

IMG_2484.png

7. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

You're never paying more than the full cost of the phone plus apple care. It's the full cost broken into 24 monthly payments. 0 interest. It is certainly no worse than paying outright for a phone (unless you don't want apple care +, or have bad credit and can't handle a hard pull on your report)... you can payoff the balance of the loan at any time and keep it, sell it, whatever it :)

8. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

The new interesting twist is that the X won't be out for six weeks. So, those of us wanting that will be making usually two extra payments. What happens to them? And us, next year, when we want the next phone that comes out, we hope, at the *normal* time, and we are two payments short?!

There is a thread over at reddit where someone got Apple Chat to say that Citizens One will refund the two extra payments so we can then pay them next year to make up the two months difference (plus $10 or whatever the difference between the two phones over two months....).

There is also some dispute about that answer since it's from a chat agent (usually perfectly reliable source! /s ) and I don't believe it until I see it. But this is the problem with getting the phone on launch date and needing 12 payments for next time's restart. If anything delays the phone you want, you are either screwed, need to delay your purchase, or, as one person said, should always start in November. :D

9. macduke Suspended

macduke

Thanks! I was worried about changing it as I've always had it set the same. I remember when setting up some stuff for my grandparents iPad several years back, it got all screwed up when we logged into different iTunes accounts because it wouldn't let us open the apps purchased on the other account. Not sure if that has changed now. I'm holding out for the iPhone X, so I'm glad that you guys are able to figure this stuff out ahead of our preorder! The one upside to the delayed launch, lol. I'll certainly do this before preorder next month.

10. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

Haha... The same reason Apple didn't stop selling it - because lots of us do not want to keep inching away to a mega size android phone, loose their touchID or pay 1,000 dollars for a gadget made in China. But nobody can mention the Circa 2010 bezels on this $700 thing.

You the type that orders the $90 dollar POS bottle of Rioja at the restaurant because it was the "THING" 4 years ago. sure, go be a happy customer... you should move to Brooklyn.

11. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

That's good. I had a feeling they didn't for me this time. I did the pre-approval process and it said I was approved instantly within the app whereas last year when I started it took a bit to check my credit and then I got the email.. etc.

12. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

I wonder what role your taxes play into this pricing. Someone's gotta pay for universal healthcare, right?

13. techop macrumors regular

Part of the reason I decided to get the 8+ this year and the XI next year, or whatever they call it. The XI or whatever will be more refined next year, will probably replace the 8/8+ line, and most likely be available in September instead of November. Therefore, I will still be on the September cycle and won't have to mess with what is essentially a beta device.

14. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

My thoughts exactly.

15. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

Checked the Apple Trade Up program and they’re offering $375 for the iPhone 7 128gb from Verizon. That’s considerably more than Gazelle.

I want to leave the Verizon device payment plan I have for my iPhone 7. If I understand the steps correctly they would be as follows:
    - remaining payments in October would be 12 at $30 or roughly $370.
    - pay Verizon $370 so I own the phone a week before Oct 27
    - on launch day, buy iPhone X through Apple Upgrade program or at full price through Apple
    - Apple website will be able to attach phone to current account/phone number because Verizon will show phone as paid off
    - sell iPhone 7 to Apple for $375 gift card after new phone arrives and is activated

Is that right? One thing that could go wrong is Apple offers less than $375 for old iPhone 7 between now and then...

16. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

That would infer that Apple are still going to value your old phone at 50% of it's original price and 'overpay' the outstanding balance on the loan for Citizens One to then refund it to you!?!? Another route they could go would be to allow X owners to upgrade next year with only 10 out of 24 payments completed.

17. eyez73 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this is a silly question. In the past, I've purchased an unlocked iPhone 6 Plus in the UK direct from apple. I'm interested in their iPhone Upgrade Programme, I see it's over a two year period and that you can upgrade your phone yearly. I'm not really interested in upgrading on a yearly basis. Therefore is it possible just to upgrade every 3-4 years, paid the monthly payments for the first two years and then walk away with the phone?

Do hope this isn't a silly question :)

18. RedBanana macrumors member

Yes, but you will be paying more for the phone than if you'd bought it outright or through say a contract with a carrier. You are paying a premium for this yearly upgrade that you aren't using.

e.g. USA 24 x 49.10 == $1197.84 for the $999 iPhone X.

19. techop macrumors regular

The upgrade program includes AppleCare+

USA 24 x $49.10 = $1197.84

iPhone X = $999
    AppleCare+ = $199
    Total = $1198

So you are actually getting a $0.16 discount

Of course, if you buy outright you don't have to get AppleCare+ but then it's not an apples to apples comparison.

20. eyez73 macrumors newbie

Thank's Red. I see, so I would be paying a couple of hundred USD's over the purchase price. I wonder if there is a better way to finance this in the UK!
    That does sound better, I tend to get applecare+ so not such a bad deal :)

21. DeApp1e macrumors 6502

DeApp1e

Edit: Just received the email! I'll be waiting for the next one for the X ;)

22. eyez73 macrumors newbie

A phone x 256GB is £1,534.80, which ever way to look at it, it's a lot of money!

23. techop, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

techop macrumors regular

24. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Right, we have no idea what/if anything they are going to do. Make us wait two months next year? Credit us something back?

The IUP is for people to have the best tech each year when it comes out. Last year many of us had to write Tim's Exec team to get the allocation snafu handled and they did, mostly wonderfully. They want IUP people to be taken care of.

Something needs to be done for everyone that gets an X in the IUP program, as they will all be two payments short next year. So, this should be interesting!
    Can you clarify? :D What email about what?

25. DeApp1e macrumors 6502

DeApp1e

Sorry! It was the email from Apple informing me on how to upgrade to the iPhone 8 on the iUP. I'm waiting for the email about the X though, so next month should get it :)