Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Sammy's next watch more like this...

SAMMY.png

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
can anyone explain to my why they are keeping the store offline for hours? A website doesnt take that much time to update.

A website can be updated in less than a second. The pages are all done just waiting to be deployed.

I think one of the reasons is so that people don't buy anything. Anyone who buys, say, an Apple TV this morning, then a new one gets announced later in the day would be upset, and do a return, costing Apple money and PR problems. And it's not as simple as Apple simply just shipping a new model instead - maybe there is no equivalent, maybe the new model costs more.

Plus, you can't just have some merchandise available for sale, and some not, because then you'd know what Apple is releasing today. They want to keep it secret.

So, Apple plays it safe and just keeps the web site offline until after the event.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The only thing that is bigger than the event itself is the hype before it!

People here that are ready to buy whatever is introduced today, without even having seen it is amazing. That's the real point of Apple Pay though, right? Apple having a direct tap into your credit card? :)

I've got my card all warmed up for the new Magsafe-to-Macbook Air 2015 adapter!

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Surprised to see so many articles predicting this will 'flop' based on Apple's standards of what is considered a successful product.

While I admit that my Moto 360 does not solve many problems, it is a nice device to have. That being said, $250 was a tough pill to swallow for such a device, and with Apple pricing more than likely at least $100 for the base model, I think most will take a pass on at least the first gen of this.

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
Does there really need to be a news post every single time this happens? It happens every time Apple has a keynote. It has come to be expected...

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Late lunch on the east coast so that I can watch (sorry, pun intended). Really hoping for almost everything other than the watch --
1. ATV
2. iPad Pro
3. Multi Tasking iOS
4. Keyboard covers
5. Stretch desire - new time capsule and Airport

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
The only thing that is bigger than the event itself is the hype before it!

People here that are ready to buy whatever is introduced today, without even having seen it is amazing. That's the real point of Apple Pay though, right? Apple having a direct tap into your credit card? :)

I've got my card all warmed up for the new Magsafe-to-Macbook Air 2015 adapter!

I think you're looking at things in a bit of a bubble. Apple forums are the only ones garnering any type of "hype", heck even this post about keynotes generally gets well into the 100's of comments quickly. Outside of Apple enthusiasts, I don't see or hear much hype at all.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It is the feature 99% of the viewers this morning care most about. My final guess:

Sport
$349 (38mm)
$449 (42mm)

Watch
$549 (38mm)
$649 (42mm)

Edition
$899 (38mm)
$999 (42mm)

Bands
$49-$200

I bet not a single one is accurate. :)

Not going to happen but I would love to get out the door with a silver sport and black band for under $300. I know its made by Apple and I know it does more than a standard watch but its not easy to just drop $500 on a watch that for the most part keeps you from pulling your phone from your pocket. Don't get me wrong, I want one of these and have since they announced it but man its not cheap is it?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Surprised to see so many articles predicting this will 'flop' based on Apple's standards of what is considered a successful product.

While I admit that my Moto 360 does not solve many problems, it is a nice device to have. That being said, $250 was a tough pill to swallow for such a device, and with Apple pricing more than likely at least $100 for the base model, I think most will take a pass on at least the first gen of this.

I agree that most will take a pass. But with more than 300 million iPhone users out there, if 5% buy the watch, then, I believe that would put the Apple watch at a sale rate larger than all the other smart watches ever previously sold. And the way Apple is treating this, I don't think they are expecting a 5% adoption rate.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I think everyone would go nuts if a new ATV made an appearance.

I like the way you think. That would be wonderfully out-of-the-blue, but since it would need be a significant upgrade with a major ecosystem change (broad partnering with studios for content rights), I don't see that happening here because it would detract from the :apple:Watch. They likely want a couple other "oh look this is cool too" announcements just to fill things out, but ATV3 is stable enough that ATV4 won't be a minor upgrade.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
They (Tim Cook) already said April release.

Understood...yet...then what's the point of today's announcements? We know the :apple:Watch is coming, stating the prices is just one slide, release date one more. Since there's no major FCC delays at this point, I expect Cook will get to "Like we said, the starting price on Watch is $349, ... and the most luxurious form is $X999, and the best part is it's available - right - now."

----------

something's gonna disappear from the store...will it be the Nano?

Give us an iPhone Nano!

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
It would be nice of Apple to update iPhone 6 with 2 GB RAM and make it more sturdy, non-bendable, hehe..Or update iPhone 5S. Why do we have to wait the whole year for small updates? Ahh..

My real wish is a new small iPhone (4S size), but I know it is unrealistic to expect it at this moment.

Last edited:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I do, until our damn meeting at 2. (Eastern, so it starts here at 1)

I may have blocked my calendar for 2 hours for a really important meeting.

----------

Not going to happen but I would love to get out the door with a silver sport and black band for under $300. I know its made by Apple and I know it does more than a standard watch but its not easy to just drop $500 on a watch that for the most part keeps you from pulling your phone from your pocket. Don't get me wrong, I want one of these and have since they announced it but man its not cheap is it?

Nope. Never is. *shruggs*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.