Apple Outlines 2018 MacBook Pro Repair Options and Parts Availability

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2018.

1. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Why are you trying to defend Apple with LIES?

2. suwandy macrumors regular

Actually may have found the answer to my own question here :

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MR932X/A&step=config

In the buy a Mac configuration stage, under the "How much memory is right for you?" it says here:

And here:
    Now, whether or not that statement is just a way to "force" buyers to buy the super duper expensive options of upgrading, we'll probably have to wait for more details? What's your thoughts?

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

No need to worry.. i took my 2017 12" Macbook on Thursday evening and i got it back today (Saturday afternoon), keyboard replaced

4. iMacC2D macrumors 6502a

This is one example where he doesn't need to be controversial, because the subject matter takes care of that already. I watched his video and it's all true; any Apple service technician would confirm the same, but of course there are non-disclosure agreements binding us from ever saying publicly.

iFixit sponsors Linus Media Group. Not Louis Rossmann. The only common denominator between iFixit and those three YouTubers is they support the Repair Organisation, who are currently advocating for Right to Repair legislation.

Just because people get behind a common cause doesn't mean they're handing each other kickbacks.

Counterfeit implies fake, or a product claiming to be something it isn't. iFixit's replacement parts have no Apple logos, copyright or trademark information. They make it extremely clear the parts are aftermarket replacements, not sourced from Apple.

Louis Rossmann has provided more information to independent and even qualified repair technicians than Apple has. Apple's internal documentation for AASPs is garbage, useless for fault finding, and often makes it impossible to accurately isolate complex faults to individual components. I improved my diagnostic accuracy, first-time fix capabilities and even data recovery success rate from tips learned in Louis' videos.

He explains the fault. He shows the fault. He shows why it happens and how to fix it. The videos aren't edited or abridged. He believes everyone should have the right to learn how their electronics work and the skills to repair them, should they so choose.

The difference of course is that Louis gives his information away for free. Apple charged $250/year for an Apple Certified Mac Technician certification.

But Louis is full of BS? F**k. That comment section looks pretty appealing at the moment, if only in knowing that you won't be there.

It's no more a lie than the markup and overheads any other retailer places on their goods. iFixit buys components at wholesale, charges extra to cover import fees, transport and taxes where applicable, to cover staff expenses associated with testing, stocking and supporting that component, and of course making a profit, like any business.

And look at your own example for a moment. 23-53 days dispatch from AliExpress. It had better be damn cheap, because that's a massive lead time compared to a few days at iFixit.

But keep in mind that the iFixit components come with a lifetime warranty against failures, and I'm pretty confident the AliExpress one doesn't. They've been remarkably good about honouring those warranties too. One email or call, provide the invoice number, and they've exchanged the component or sent out a replacement with minimal fuss.

It's extremely handy for service tools too. Two years in, the screwdriver is a little worn, send them an email and receive a replacement driver head shipped, free of charge. And believe it or not, AASPs can and sometimes do use iFixit tools, because the cost to quality ratio and after-sales support is better than with the tools Apple sells.

So there's a reason the iFixit battery is more expensive. The service is better. You can't claim that Apple customers pay the premium for Apple products because the after-sales support is so good, then chastise iFixit for following the same business model.

It's not uncommon. People that love Apple will love Apple, even against their official position sometimes, even against the word of those people that dedicate their time and energy to learning the products while finding and fixing their flaws, and helping others do so to continue enjoying those products.

5. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

You think the Chinese made iPhones, Macs, and their batteries are any better than the ones made in the United St.... Wait, nevermind! They are all Chinese made, then marked up tremendously!

6. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Therefore means they are propaganda.

Politics shouldn't mix with journalism in any stance.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2018 ---
    Yes.

But one company does the QC directly, others don't.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2018 ---
    Which lie?

7. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Apple QC equates to what? Being good or something? Look at how gpu's overheated in poorly designed Mac books, the keyboards stopped working, mics stopped working on iPhones, ios 11, your holding it wrong, all the security vulnerabilities and exploits on iPhone/mac being able to access root without password, etc. This list can go on and on, but I hope you get the point by now. Or... Should i keep the list going?

8. iLilana macrumors 6502a

iLilana

the dream. iMac back panel access and parts that are not soldered to the mainboard...like memory and storage and GPU

9. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Yep. That's hardly worthy of the 'Pro' label is it? Say your SSD fails. You did all due diligence with backups and all, but still you can't swap it out yourself and be up and running in a few hours because the damn thing is soldered in. So you have to stop your work (jeopardizing your income), make an appointment with Apple and hope they can see you quickly, take it in, have them send it off, etc, etc. And by the sound of it, Apple still hasn't implemented a loaner system to help cover the down time. How on God's green earth is that considered professional??!

10. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Look at this:

[​IMG]

Nobody cries about when a PC breaks.

Look at this:

[​IMG]

Nobody cries when a PC gets actually affected by malware, exploits, etc.

11. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Cause the average apple consumer will only embrace a space gray earth where Apple Care™ will save us from extinction.

12. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

He also did an extensive ad for One-Plus, so he’s been paid for hyping up phones that few buy and compete with Apple.

13. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

And for other companies that also sell laptops and PC's that compete with Apple.

(e.g. Asus that sells laptops, PCs, smartphones, etc.)

Surely no conflict of interest.

14. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Oh wow he did an ad, that's shady! Only apple can make ads.

-Sent from my iPhone

15. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Who said he can’t do it? God bless him, hope it makes him a millionaire.

But he’s biased as hell and posts stuff for views, period.

16. Tech198 macrumors G5

This sounds more like a minor/major cover up.

* At Apple's discretion

17. Radon87000 macrumors 604

The fact that the entire unit needs replacing if the keyboard breaks makes this a very expensive laptop to repair. I will stick to Windows.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

What do you expect if you take a computer apart and break it to the point where it’s beyond repair. Why does he expect Apple to fix his stupidity.

19. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Actually he offered to pay for the repair but Apple outright denied it. He also offered to get it repaired at a third party shop but Apple refused to ship the parts.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

It’s not about whether he wanted to pay for it or not. Sometimes you can damage things to the point where they are beyond repair and the only solution is to chuck the thing out and buy a new one. In any case Apple have every right to refuse to repair it even if they could because he breached their terms of usuage.

21. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Could it simply be that YOU are the biased one, and will defend Apple for every single screw up they ever make? Linus uses all types of brands, from Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. Just because you do not agree with him calling out Apple for being shady as f***, does not make him biased, as he had only displayed the truth in how Apple poorly handles things. Louis Rossman does the same thing, and shows the public how p*** poor of a job Apple does when it comes to their hardware. There is nothing wrong with exposing shady companies in my opinion.

22. Radon87000 macrumors 604

But Apple shouldn't have a problem shipping the parts he asked for to him. They don't have the responsibility of repairing the Mac. He took it upon himself to do so.

23. Shanghaichica, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018

Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

But with a device like the Mac Pro, being as expensive as it is, Apple will need to source said parts and then send them out. They aren’t just going to send out parts just like that. The third party repairer will have to provide details of what they need the parts for so Apple can authorise them to do the repair and thus supply the parts. It comes back to the same point that the device is not repairable and therefore Apple won’t authorise a third party to carry out the repair.

The Mac Pro is not a mass market consumer device like the iPhone or the iPad so repairs are not done in the same way even by authorised third party repairers.

For example an authorised third party repairer will have lots of replacement iPad and iPhone screens to make repairs to iPhones and iPads and Apple will generally continue to supply these parts to them.

To repair the Mac Pro the repairer will have to order the parts directly from Apple and provide details of the repair they want to do so Apple can source the parts and send them out. Apple won’t authorise the repair for Linus so they won’t supply the parts.

24. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Fine; no more iPhone repairs after accidentally dropping it. Why do you expect Apple to fix your stupidity?

Stop cheerleading for Apple, your making the Apple community look terrible.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

But If I opened up my iPhone and broke it to the point where it was beyond repair then how could I expect Apple to fix something that was irreparable. Best solution for me would be to get a replacement under Apple care plus if I had it.

It’s not the same as breaking your phone screen which can be easily fixed.