Apple Outlines 2018 MacBook Pro Repair Options and Parts Availability

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2018.

1. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Did you listen AT ALL to anything Linus said? Jesus christ. That's not what happened. The iMac WAS repairable. Apple refused to do so because they can't get their act together on having certified techs to REPAIR a $5,000 'Pro' branded (what a joke) iMac SIX MONTHS after it was released. It DOES NOT MATTER how the iMac was damaged. You could literally have an act of god damage the iMac, it doesn't matter, if YOU are willing to pay for parts and labour to fix it, it's none of Apple's business what exactly happened except to say 'Yes, we have a repair services. Give us money and we'll repair whatever needs to be repaired.'

If you opened up your phone, damaged it, I'd STILL expect Apple offer you a repair option. It's not like EVERY component of the phone would be broken, unless that's what you'd do... but THIS is what you're suggesting that happened, that they broke every component inside the iMac where it was pointless repairing it. You're lying, admit it, swallow your pride, stop cheerleading for Apple and move on.

Why is this so hard for so many of you to comprehend?

2. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

A poor attempt at changing the subject. This conversation relates to Macs NOT PC'S.

Lets bring it back on track and substantiate your initial accusations.

3. thelazycoder macrumors newbie

thelazycoder

Blind believers of the overlord like you yourself here won't ever bend to any amount of evidence that's presented and the fact that you would rather stick with the accused here, believing in only the words they speak proves the point that you are just another sheep in the herd.

Here's some enlightenment for you — Apple covered-up the iPhone 6 bendgate. I'm sure you'll blindly ignore that too, despite it appearing in their internal documents and rather accuse the poor customers who forced themselves to get one and lost their time and money in the process. You would rather accuse them for not keeping the phone properly in their pockets or for wearing tight jeans.

If I'm paying a premium to get what is supposed to be gold-standard product, I expect it to behave like one and reliability is paramount. Plus, I'm supposed to apparently pay even more on top of that for the AppleCare+ nonsense to ensure any future repairs don't drain my wallet. Even after all that, the devices still keep having obvious flaws that would render it useless for someone who paid a lot of money for it and for whom it is vital for everyday tasks.

Big numbers do breed big numbers. That also applies to the amount of money I'm paying for their products and the quality and reliability I expect to be treated to. So please stop defending fundamental design flaws in Apple products. It's not going to make them better and accusing the customers who paid a lot of money to buy these products is not going to fix the issues either.

4. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

LOL @ 'few buy' the One Plus. Bahahahaha.

And oh noez! He made an ad! Somebody call the ethics committee, Linus made an ad! Do you complain like this when Apple makes an ad?

5. Guy Clark, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018

Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

No if you were to watch the video in its entirety you will see Linus was prepared to pay for the repair. It was the display that was smashed there was nothing wrong with the internals

Then there is the business with the poorly designed VESA mounting bracket. Manufactured by a Third party supplier but Apple are liable as it is sold in the official Apple Store
    https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MR3C2ZM/A/vesa-mount-adapter-kit-for-imac-pro-space-grey

6. pika2000 macrumors 603

I don’t understand why people are so upset here. Those who have problems right away with their new MacBook Pros would probably just get a quick swap. By the time most people’s return periods are passed, more components would be in proper supply.

Delays for components is not exclusive to Apple. In fact, I’ve seen worse in other OEMs where they hardly stock anything in their service centers, and requiring at least a few days to weeks to get components shipped in. Waiting for 3 to 4 weeks for repairs or parts are commonplace on PC laptops, at least in my experience. I don’t see people making a scene about them.

7. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Ransomware isn't a function of the security or quality of a platform, but of the gullibility of users. There's not a whole lot Microsoft can do to prevent users from launching code they shouldn't have launched, other than more aggressive sandboxing (which isn't necessarily a popular practice).

8. pika2000 macrumors 603

Until you realize the PC OEMs going to the same route of hard to repair laptops and/or hardly available parts (but with the same incompetent level of service as before). You have to opt for the lower end plastic models or more expensive enterprise models to get PC laptops that are still fairly easily user accessible. It’s highly annoying, and no wonder lay consumers don’t mind with Apple laptops.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I think people have to decide what’s more important to them. If they wan’t something that’s easy to repair then they need to get a windows machine.

10. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

With respect this conversation is related to Macs and Apple repair practices.

Any mention of other platforms is diverting from the subject at hand.

In other words don't bite at a feeble attempt to change the subject.

11. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Well Linus has said that people at Apple told him they don’t know how to fix it which still equates to not being able to fix it. I’ve never once said that they broke everything inside it. They did violate the terms of usage so Apple have the right to refuse to repair it.

End of the day Apple aren’t going to repair it. If Linus carries on moaning about it Apple might give him a replacement free of charge though.

12. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

No Linus was prepared to pay for the repair as was set out at the beginning of the quest to get Apple to fit a replacement display.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Yes I know he was prepared to pay but he said he was told that Apple didn’t know how to fix it.

The fact is he did breach the terms of usage so Apple can refuse to fix it.

His only course of recourse is to sue Apple on the basis that the terms of usage or unfair and that will be for a judge to decide.

Or if he carries on moaning about it Apple might give him a replacement free of charge.

14. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

The only thing Linus was prepared for is to to stir up a controversy with a sensationalized video.

15. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Not in my experience though. My HP Envy 2017 didn’t take much hassle to repair and has all ports and a DVD drive.

I personally don’t like laptops anyway. I custom build my own desktops where every minor aspect is user replaceable. So Windows will always be ahead of mac in this aspect. Unless a hacintosh is built.

16. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

The fact that Apple didn't know how to carry out the repair is beyond comprehension.

Prior to any Apple product is released to the public technicians should be thoroughly trained in order to provide a professional standard of after sales service.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2018 ---
    Believe that if you so wish. Of course Apple can do no wrong.

17. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

That’s an asinine strawman. An argument can be made that a $5k and up compute should have more easily replaceable components. But that’s not Linus’s argument.

18. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

You are so wrong...

19. pika2000 macrumors 603

Good to hear on your experience on one model of one PC OEM, and for you who like to custom build PCs. Doesn't mean the majority of consumers will be in your shoes though.

20. Dustonfoster macrumors member

Dustonfoster

My exact thoughts...

21. 0009827 Suspended

Actually Linus has the replacement parts (bought from an apple employee in a dark ally), and the machine has been repaired by Louis Rossman (video coming soon). The real issue here was his LOCAL apple stores, and authorised repair centres in CANADA could not repair such a new (and niche, very expensive) machine *in the time frame* which Linus required. Clumsy tech employee opens brand new, non user servicable machine, breaks almost every component, also damages "warranty void" stickers and doesn't get an instant repair service, paid or not. Oh the shock.

22. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

*grabs popcorn*

Drink re-fills anyone?

23. gnasher729, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

With any product that is supposed to last years, the shipped products are either defective or not. If it breaks down within a few weeks because the devices was defective then you would want a new device. If it isn't defective, then it won't break down within weeks.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2018 ---
    You are totally misguided.

When you buy a device, Apple is legally required to repair it for a certain time because of warranties etc. if they delivered it defective. For longer if you have Apple Care, or in some other countries. After that, they repair things because they want customers to come back and buy more.

However, if you intentionally go and break their stuff, then Apple (or any other company you do this to), then Apple is fully in their rights to give you a BIG f*** you. They are also entirely in their rights to never sell another product to you.

24. olives9 macrumors newbie

olives9

25. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Do that and you open up a can of worms if you deny a customer of service for no legitimate reason. Pretty sure there are laws against that... someone should correct me on that (not you though).

So no, you're wrong again. iPhones get dropped all the time from peoples negligence, carelessness or even intentional damage..... and still repaired. Explain that.