Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koulie

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I just got the late 2012 15" MBP (retina) 7/8 months ago as well..I take It I'll won't be missing out much If It's just a processor upgrade?

In regards to 15" rMBP:
All interior upgrades. Definitive CPU bump to Haswell, highly likely GPU bump to Nvidia 750m, likely introduction of 802.11ac capabilities and unlikely SSD bump.

As long as your Mac does what you want it to do, it doesn't matter!

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
What about Retina 11 and 13 then the mac book 13 and then the mac book pro 13 and 15 (and we can hope 17) so dropping pro from the non retina macbook pro?
do you really care of how they'll be called? seriously what difference does it make?
Exactly, Haswell should not be the most exciting part of WWDC
agree, is it even a news anymore that haswell is coming to laptops in june?
I don't know anyone (friends, family, colleagues) who has updated a laptop computer.
I'd love the hard stats if anyone has them.
me and many of my friends upgraded our macbooks, ram and HD, (and i guess it'll become more common when ssd will drom well below 100bucks). they're expensive objects, it's wise to make them last as much as possible.
With the build quality and what most users do with these products, it can be a long time before one really NEEDS an updated MBP.

My MBP 17" is from 2008 and counting. Still excellent for what I do, but I'll check out Haswell and the line up if it's really really great (As in much much faster, maybe with a fusion drive set up, etc.)
keep in mind that many people just buy whatever new shiny thing apple puts into market, jsut for the sake of owning it (but i suppose it applies more to the ios world, than the laptops/desktops).
This is purely cosmetic, but for some reason, I'm hoping for a black-bezel screen on the new Airs.
i hope they won't bring the "less-glossy" cover to the new airs, they're fine as they are.
I already hate the comments on this thread.
+1, why have i even spent so much time answering everyone? lol.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Seems like WWDC, with its audience full of developers, would be the perfect place to announce the new Mac Pro or its successor - and a good opportunity to bring back "One more thing...", too, for a bit of drama.
Yes, please, Mac Pro!! :):):)
(not that I dislike the MB, but I need a Mac Pro :) )

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
Hopefully the Air will get thinner bezels like the 13 and 15 in retina MBP (which I doubt for now) lol

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Looks like the mac pro people will be left out again :(

Why would you think that? Maybe the Mac Pro won't get an update at WWDC, but what in the article makes you believe that it won't happen? The article is about MacBook Pros. :confused:

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Apple will alienate a lot of their customers who like upgrading their computer throughout the life of the product, such as myself. Unless they want to lower the price of upgrading the SSD's of the retina models, they shouldn't discontinue the non-retina MBP.

I used to believe that and was pretty unhappy with the closed system of the MBPr. Then I did some research and less than 1% of laptop owners upgrade. They buy, use, pitch, buy again.

You and I are a minority.

In the end, I came to the conclusion I was just whining about something that didn't really matter.

You can only really upgrade memory and the HD. Well, I do a lot of professional development work so I need pretty high end features. I would have put 16 GB of memory in the machine as soon as I got it anyway. The high speed, low power memory that Apple uses is very good and the price isn't that terrible.

I will never use a HD again, they are just too slow. Again, Apple's 500 SSD wasn't horrible when compared feature to feature with 3rd party. I went with the 500 GB SSD and an external USB 3.0 2 TB WD My Passport.

My MBPr is the best workstation I have ever used. I am thinking about going Haswell and doing the 768 GB SSD or whatever the highest one they offer is. I would like to see something in the 900 GB range but it isn't that important.

Something to think about,
-P

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Seems like WWDC, with its audience full of developers, would be the perfect place to announce the new Mac Pro or its successor - and a good opportunity to bring back "One more thing...", too, for a bit of drama.

I agree. This would be a great "One more thing...", making a specific segment of Mac users very happy and adding some fun to the WWDC keynote. Announcing that the Mac Pro will be produced in the U.S. would be the icing on the cake. One can hope! :)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I think that Apple should drop the "Air" and "Pro" monikers, and combine the 2 lines. If the Air goes Retina, I don't see enough of a difference. Right now, the 13" rMBP doesn't have dedicated graphics. But hey, I'm only a mere human. What do I know?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
But what about the Mac Pro!?
Tim Promised! He Pinky Promised!
Tim can't back out of Pro Pinky Promise!

He never promised it would be at WWDC, in fact he said 'later next year' which to me hints at a fall-ish launch.

Apple is simply waiting on the next generation of high power Xeon chips from Intel.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Haswell spec bump for the portable line is the keynote highlight? Really?!? I think that's a collective yawn-inducing presentation.

Seriously, that's what they did for the MacPro, then slapped a "New" label on it in the store and promptly pulled it 24 hours later.

I gotta believe that unless Cook & Co. want to see the stock sink ever father they'll provide a bit more keynote "excitement." :D

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Then I did some research and less than 1% of laptop owners upgrade. They buy, use, pitch, buy again.

Yup. By far the majority of laptop owners do it this way. A closed system just makes sense when you look at the raw numbers. It makes even MORE sense for Apple when they know the "overclock-modder-tinker" set skews so heavily Windows that they'd only be offending the niche-within-a-niche of people who are tech geeks AND want to user-service a MAC notebook specifically.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Haswell spec bump for the portable line is the keynote highlight? Really?!? I think that's a collective yawn-inducing presentation.

Seriously, that's what they did for the MacPro, then slapped a "New" label on it in the store and promptly pulled it 24 hours later.

I gotta believe that unless Cook & Co. want to see the stock sink ever father they'll provide a bit more keynote "excitement." :D

The main announcement will be iOS products and iOS 7, most likely. They'll just briefly mention that the specs have been boosted on the MBP, rMBP, and MBA.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That wouldn't be such a great idea. While the rMBP has a fantastic screen resolution, that's all it offers. It removes important features for many users (matt screen option, physical ethernet, optical drive, the ability to upgrade storage and RAM) and is just less flexible in every day use. If I were buying a new laptop now and the only choices Apple had were the Air and the rMBP, I'd buy a Thinkpad! Sorry Apple, but lighter and thiner doesn't help me get my job done.

The problem is not upgradeability, the problem is the ability to have tons of storage at affordable cost. I do use one for work, where the limited storage is no problem, WiFi works fine and USB Ethernet adapter cost me £2.50 from eBay, never used the optical drive and got the max RAM anyway. So that does get the job done very nicely. But at home, 256 GB wouldn't cut it.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Mac Book Air

I have a 13 inch Mid 2012 MBA with 8 GB ram, a 500GB SSD and an i7 processor. Just bumping the device to a Haswell processor will not be enough for me to upgrade. They'll need to give me a 16GB ram option and a Retina Display to entice me to spring for a new MBA.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Ming-Chi Kuo keeps predicting BS with also ipad and iphone rumors, this guy should get another job...

Actually, Kuo is one of the few analysts that has his head on straight. If you look at his predictions and research notes you will find that they are typically right on. He doesn't engage in the baseless speculation that others do or try to pass it off as fact.

He is rarely wrong. In which case he states clearly that he is changing his forecast and explains why.

Koulie

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I have a 13 inch Mid 2012 MBA with 8 GB ram, a 500GB SSD and an i7 processor. Just bumping the device to a Haswell processor will not be enough for me to upgrade. They'll need to give me a 16GB ram option and a Retina Display to entice me to spring for a new MBA.

Haswell will also increase graphics performance significantly for current Apple notebooks without discrete graphics (which happens to be all except rMBP 15").

May be a game-changer if you feel that you need more graphics performance!
P.s. Don't hold your breathe for Retina MBA, that is most likely in 1-2 years.

----------

The problem is not upgradeability, the problem is the ability to have tons of storage at affordable cost.

+1
Upgradeability is mentioned way too much as a negative. As stated by a member earlier, less than 1% of laptop users actually upgrade their laptops.
Price of storage is a true negative, hopefully they can offer cheaper SSDs upgrade options to consumers this time around, as the prices of SSDs have dropped recently. Current price model is ridiculous!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I don't know anyone (friends, family, colleagues) who has updated a laptop computer.

I think unfortunately your "a lot" is nothing more than a niche of Apple's users.

I'm not doubting for a second that there are people, who no doubt do some serious work on their laptops, and they need to update their machines every so often. But Apple has ever increasingly targeted the larger consumer space.

I'd love the hard stats if anyone has them.

I know many Apple Laptop owners (most from work that are editors/graphics people like myself). The only thing we all want that is upgradable is the Video Card....everything else is fine as is. Storage you just put your projects when done externally on drives, usb sticks, blu-rays/dvds (yep with an external..who the F cares), etc. HD/Memory..most buy upfront so it's already max'd.

So really most 'upgrades' at least for us are about the VC...but I've never heard of anyone saying ...well Im not buying another MBP...they sure arent going to buy something else.

RoDe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Apple's walking a thin line here with the Mac Pro. They have an opportunity to completely ruin that market for themselves like they did with Final Cut, but they already caused some serious damage. I don't know why they are neglecting it so much for these many years. Same goes with the display they offer. They upgraded their Macs with USB 3.0, but the display offers no USB 3.0 'til this day. Here they have probably thousands of users like me, waiting to purchase these top of the line systems, and they are just sitting there, counting their money, and iPhones, forgetting about the loyal users who brought them up to this point in the first place.

I'm afraid they don't have much of a choice. They are waiting for Intel to come out with their new Xeon processor line. And since Intel is royally late with those ...
But I personally think we will see Apple releasing a new Mac pro and a new Thunderbolt display with 4K. When Probably after WWDC, but I like surprises so why not do it at.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
My (longshot) hopes:
- Haswell CPU!
- MBA with black bezels and 128GB SSD for the $999 price range.
- All MBPs w/ 8GB RAM standard.

Oh it's going to have Haswell..no worries there.

Mine is basically this...Only thing that kept me from buying first gen...

- 2 GB GPU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.