Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I would not be at all surprised if the largest volume buyers of the iPad Mini are enterprise customers who use them "in the field". As such, not sure they need "Pro" features so I am skeptical the market among consumers is large enough to justify such a model.

I do see plenty of iPad minis and regular entry level iPads used in restaurants for seating customers, taking orders, etc. I also see more and more iPads being used in small mom and pop businesses as a POS instead of a traditional computer register configuration.

Reactions: CWallace

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
If it were a new iPad Air, maybe it’s upgraded to work with the Pencil 2?

The compatibility to make an iPad work with the 2nd generation Apple Pencil adds more cost to the iPad so I would be surprised if they went that route, but it would be nice (just wish the 2nd gen Pencil wasn’t $30 more expensive)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Why do people still think another iPad Pro is coming out this year? It makes no sense at all from a marketing standpoint.

• Love
Reactions: Anson_431

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I would upgrade my series 3 watch if Apple can deliver at least 2 days of battery life with sleep tracking.
The AW 4 was already a noticeable upgrade from Series 3, with e.g. its the bigger screen and more powerful CPU. I would expect Series 6 to improve upon CPU power again and offer at least one other hardware improvement (e.g. sensor for measuring blood glucose levels). Perhaps the battery will improve as well.

But even without a 2 day battery I expect Series 6 to be a serious update over the AW4 already, let alone Series 3.

Reactions: Agile55

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Why do people still think another iPad Pro is coming out this year? It makes no sense at all from a marketing standpoint.

As an owner of a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro, the Mid-2020 model offered me little reason to upgrade to (LIDAR and one more GPU core). IMO, it was aimed at those who owned the First or Second Generation (2016/2017) models.

A Late 2020 model with a MiniLED display, a more powerful SoC (A13X/A14) and other features might offer me enough to upgrade.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
What are we expecting with the 2020 Air? Still expecting an increase in screen size, or just a spec bump? Should be interesting.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That makes more sense, since the iPad Pro was updated just a few months ago.
They can’t really update any of the iPads without updating the Pros first though. Think about it - the Pros are still sporting an A12 based chip from 2018 (currently marketed at the A12Z, but it’s still the exact same chip that shipped with the 2018 Pros, just with an extra GPU core unlocked). The Air also has an A12 chip (the less powerful version from the iPhone) but upgrading it to an A13 or A14 would make the Pros look old and inferior. The iPad is still using an A10 and I could easily see it jumping up to an A12, but not before the Air gets updated to something better than the A12... therefore in my opinion updating the Pros needs to be the first step in refreshing the iPad lineup.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
They can’t really update any of the iPads without updating the Pros first though. Think about it - the Pros are still sporting an A12 based chip from 2018 (currently marketed at the A12Z, but it’s still the exact same chip that shipped with the 2018 Pros, just with an extra GPU core unlocked). The Air also has an A12 chip (the less powerful version from the iPhone) but upgrading it to an A13 or A14 would make the Pros look old and inferior. The iPad is still using an A10 and I could easily see it jumping up to an A12, but not before the Air gets updated to something better than the A12... therefore in my opinion updating the Pros needs to be the first step in refreshing the iPad lineup.

I don’t think they will release new iPad Pro’s. The ones from a few months ago got the LiDAR sensor, A12Z and the wide angle camera lens. It may not be the biggest update, But the iPad Pro already smokes a lot of the competition with it’s A series chips.

I think the iPad Pro will be updated next year with the mini LED and a bigger leap in chipset.

Prosser has confirmed its the iPad and iPad Air that will be getting updated soon and not the iPad Pro.

Reactions: dantracht

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Too early for the 'It's Happening' GIF?

Never!
ZCB6iSJ.gif

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Really great point.

Reactions: dantracht

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
So it's Watch and iPad first then in early September, with iPhone to follow in October.

Based on the big TV marketing push of the existing Apple Watch in the UK over the last four weeks I'd say that's about right.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
So if it's iPad and iPad Air being updated and this happens before the iPhone is updated, what chip is the Air getting?

It can't get the same chip as a yet to be announced iPhone I suppose.

I think the iPad will have the A12 still but the iPad Air will get the A13. The A12Z which is inside the iPad Pro 2020 will still likely be faster and have more cores.

The next iPad Pro updated will likely be in 2021. I think Apple will focus on upping the iPad and iPad Air and the Apple Watch in September, followed by the iPhone and an ARM based Mac in October.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
What chip would a new Air have, though? I see the rumor is A14, but like others have said, that would make the iPad Pros look dated with A12-based chips. I guess they’d sell a lot of Airs now, before new Pros drop with A14X. I remember people were speculating that the Mini 5 would have A10, but it ended up with A12, so we’ll just have to wait a couple weeks and see.

Either way, I’m only interested in a new Mini or a new Pro. If one of those are announced, I’ll be excited.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
you think apple will release an Apple Watch "SE" version ? i guess others miss understood you...and thought you are talking about iphone SE
And yes, i heard that an cheaper AW can come this year or next
They filed 4 models in 2019 (2 sizes, GPS-only and GPS-Cellular). If they filed 8, that suggests that they will release two main versions of the Apple Watch, with 2 different size and connectivity options. It’s doubtful that they can cram 5G into a Watch yet, and it’s of limited benefit anyway, so I’m guessing that, like with the “Series 1” in 2016, they are releasing a new cheaper model rather than replace the Series 3 with the Series 4.

Reactions: Icaras
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.