Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They can’t really update any of the iPads without updating the Pros first though. Think about it - the Pros are still sporting an A12 based chip from 2018 (currently marketed at the A12Z, but it’s still the exact same chip that shipped with the 2018 Pros, just with an extra GPU core unlocked). The Air also has an A12 chip (the less powerful version from the iPhone) but upgrading it to an A13 or A14 would make the Pros look old and inferior. The iPad is still using an A10 and I could easily see it jumping up to an A12, but not before the Air gets updated to something better than the A12... therefore in my opinion updating the Pros needs to be the first step in refreshing the iPad lineup.

The iPad mini received A12 the same time as iPad Air. I don't see any reason why the $329 can't get A12.

The Air still has a better display (P3), better Pencil support (laminated), more base storage, and is physically thinner. Think of the $329 iPad as iPhone XR while iPad Air as iPhone XS.

Tarantularock

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
I would guess same a12Z as the pros - I'm speculating there is a required ability for these chips that will make these iPads ready for a future roadmap features that maybe based on available ram. wifi 6 too?

I might even add that I wouldn’t be surprised to see the new air be the exact same specs as the pro 11 without the lidar camera. We know the magic keyboard is suppose to fit & This still doesn’t take anything away from the existing 2020 pros and affords time to set up ... Next year’s 2021 iPad pros will seem like an amazing update One year apart.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Now I just want to see information for the AirPods Studio headsets....

Yes please. Apple needs to compete here against Bose and Sony. There’s so much potential with Apple in this market to expand, especially given how they emphasize the quality of Sound with the HomePod.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So if it's iPad and iPad Air being updated and this happens before the iPhone is updated, what chip is the Air getting?

It can't get the same chip as a yet to be announced iPhone I suppose.

iPad Air can get A12X and perhaps a bump in base storage.

Reactions: Icaras and sananda

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
As an owner of a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro, the Mid-2020 model offered me little reason to upgrade to (LIDAR and one more GPU core). IMO, it was aimed at those who owned the First or Second Generation (2016/2017) models.

A Late 2020 model with a MiniLED display, a more powerful SoC (A13X/A14) and other features might offer me enough to upgrade.

It doesn't matter if it offered you or the tech-conscious little incentive to upgrade. To the average consumer, it's confusing and degrades customer loyalty to release the same product in such a short time span and within the same calendar year. To the average consumer, this iPad Pro is the 2020 iPad Pro. Apple has not ever released any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Apple Watch twice in one year. And they haven't released two iterations of any Mac product in about a decade. I would say, not since the Steve Jobs days. Tim Cook is a logistics master and has locked down the annual release cycle for their most popular products and their OSes and I just don't see them straying off course from their rock solid clock-work strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245 and JPack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It doesn't matter if it offered you or the tech-conscious little incentive to upgrade. To the average consumer, it's confusing and degrades customer loyalty to release the same product in such a short time span and within the same calendar year. To the average consumer, this iPad Pro is the 2020 iPad Pro. Apple has not ever released any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Apple Watch twice in one year. And they haven't released two iterations of any Mac product in about a decade.

Most people also don't seem to realize Apple had a record sales quarter for iPad due to huge demand for distance learning. There is still a long lead time for anyone ordering any iPad today.

Reactions: Icaras

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The iPad mini received A12 the same time as iPad Air. I don't see any reason why the $329 can't get A12.

The Air still has a better display (P3), better Pencil support (laminated), more base storage, and is physically thinner. Think of the $329 iPad as iPhone XR while iPad Air as iPhone XS.
The Mini and the Air were marketed as the small and large version with the same feature set so using A12 in both of them made sense. I still think in order for the base iPad to get the A12 there still needs to be something newer and better in the more expensive iPads (beyond a better screen) to justify the higher price point.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Most people also don't seem to realize Apple had a record sales quarter for iPad due to huge demand for distance learning. There is still a long lead time for anyone ordering any iPad today.

Exactly. On paper, there is no need to do anything to the iPad Pro this year. Sales are strong. Apple is happy. Consumers (most) are happy.

Reactions: Dave245

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
They sure would. Remember the 3rd gen. iPad? Not too many do (except those who bought one). The 4th gen. was released a few months later.
Remember iTunes 5? That was hilarious. Release date: 7 September 2005. iTunes 6? Release date: 12 October 2005.

As long as it's free nobody cares of course. :cool:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

This is true, even in the UK our order times for the iPad Pro stretch to 18th - 25th September! I know because I have looked at getting one. I think now would be a great time to buy, especially if the Pro isn’t going to be updated until next year sometime.

Reactions: ader42

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
It doesn't matter if it offered you or the tech-conscious little incentive to upgrade. To the average consumer, it's confusing and degrades customer loyalty to release the same product in such a short time span and within the same calendar year. To the average consumer, this iPad Pro is the 2020 iPad Pro.

I agree. But if it's the touted mini-LED A14X specced model, they could do something stupid like call it an iPad Pro Max. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Icaras

Kyozon

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2020
Sheesh, after waiting a few months for the stock to normalize I was finally able to score an iPad Pro 2020 yesterday, only to see the news about a possible newer model in the coming weeks :(

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I doubt there will be iPad Pro updates until after the new iPhones are launched. They would not likely reveal the particulars of the A14 in an iPad Pro, which would be powered by an A14X if the past is a guide. I think we will see entry iPads updated to an A12, and an updated Air model, likely powered by an A12X or Z. At least some of these new iPads will have under-screen TouchID, 10.8 inch screens (same physical size as the 11 inch pro), and be compatible with the new Smart Keyboard. We may also see a new mini.

Reactions: OddyOh

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
I'm loving this! Just bought an iPad Pro 12.9... since when do we get iPad updates in October?

ChrisBos

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
Hoping for a notable price drop on the Air, or that one of these is somehow an 8th Gen iPad ??

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I’d upgrade to the A14X and mini LED. ??

You and I have sparred on this one, but I'm still waiting on a tougher version, but I'll definitely agree -- A14X?, mini LED?, and I'll add 5G. Would love a different -- very different -- operating system, too. It's past being stale at this point, and I still experience a lot of multitasking problems between apps, and picture-in-picture is very limited.

Kjs100

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2020
Base iPad should get A12.

If iPad Air drops then the A12x would seem the likely candidate to me, from the 2018 iPad Pros. That doesn't steal the Pros' thunder too much and leaves the Pro the front runner.

As others have said, can't see the iPad Pro getting another update before the iPhone. Pros more likely to drop with an A14x.

Reactions: ader42

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
I'm not sure any iPad that gets updated before the iPhone 12 will have an A14-family chip. That would take the thunder away from the iPhone and it's a much more important product.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Would Apple really release an updated iPad Pro model 5-6 months after the recent one, and not even 2 weeks after I bought it? Boo.
They didn't really update the processor. It's been A12Z instead of A13X. Maybe they'll skip to A14X.
So yeah, I suspect it's just a speed update, which you won't necessarily mind because the A12Z you have is already screaming.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I would upgrade my series 3 watch if Apple can deliver at least 2 days of battery life with sleep tracking.
I used to last 2-3 days on a Series 3 with Airplane mode enabled for half of the day, including at night.
I had a sleep app that still worked with this enabled.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
[The iPad Pro’s] from a few months ago got the LiDAR sensor, A12Z and the wide angle camera lens. It may not be the biggest update,
I’d like a new iPad the last release was meh..
An update does not necessarily always have to boast huge obvious improvements. The evolutionary and under-the-hood improvements can be just as important. The 2020 iPP for example sports better camera, LIDAR, 6GB Ram for all models and probably yield improvements, allowing it to run cooler than the 2018 and earlier.

It may not be too tempting for 2018 owners, but it is improving stability (which owners of 2017 models suffering from touch disease due to overheating especially appreciate) and probably also preparing for the incoming push for AR.

The next (2021?) iPP may again seem like an evolutionary update to 2020 owners, but look interesting to 2018 (and earlier) owners, by combining its own improvements with those of the 2020 model. And in addition there are upgraders from smaller/lower models, switchers from Android, first-time customers etc.

Even smaller updates keep the product fresh and competitive, especially with Apple preferring to avoid discounts and rather refresh a product at the same price point.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I would buy one of those in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

An iPad Pro mini is one of the few things I really want to see from Apple as it will fill the missing gap in my workflow [digital sketchbook, ideas on the go etc] and would compliment my 12”er nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.