Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
iOS 10.1.1 was released even earlier in October last year. They simply didn't have 10.1.2 and went to 10.2, which certainly took a bit longer. So far this isn't really all that different from iOS 10, especially if you factor in a whole brand new and fairly different iPhone being thrown in addition to everything that's been there before.

It's a huge difference - this time last year people had only had to update their phones 4 times (3 if they didn't have iP 7/7+). This is already the SEVENTH public release of iOS 11 that's near or over 100% increase.

That's huge. And that's only sticking to the numbers and not even factoring in the rise in missing features at launch (3D Touch multi tasking, Apple Pay Cash, iMessages in the Cloud (how many did iOS 10 have?)), high profile bugs (8/8+ crackling sound, "I" autocorrect, calculator, 3D Touch lag, design slop, X getting cold (How many did iOS 10 have?)) and more anecdotal problems than previous years.

In ways you can measure scientifically (patch updates, missing features, bugs) and non-scientifically (complaints), it's a huge difference. And basically you can't really argue with numbers, you can choose to ignore them by saying it's not that different, but I prefer to work on evidence.

Reactions: Knightcastle

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I hope this will also fix an iPhone 8 Plus unresponsive touch of my co-worker. He only had it for less than a month and I already witnessed twice this happened to him. He's not a very happy camper considering that he's an iPhone 7 user and i told him that his phone is perfectly fine. I guess having the latest is not the greatest anymore.

addic8t

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Apple is just amazing! We received about 4 updates within 2 months. Android receive this many updates within 2 years.
Ever give a thought what you just wrote? You just meant Android is more stable than iOS. 4 updates within 2 months is amazing? Rather 0 updates without bugs fixes than plagued with bugs which needs to be fixed.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
A few quick notes:
- Patches address bugs not listed; it’s the prominent ones that get mention.
- I’m glad Apple is promptly addressing obnoxious or important bugs in a timely manner rather than delaying such fixes for a combined release at a later date.
- Wouldn’t read too much into an increase in the rate of updates; it’s what is fixed that matters more. It could be simply that Apple is taking a different approach to patching. Or it could be that PR for the iPhone X is much more important than a typical iPhone upgrade.

When it comes to freezing temperatures, yes I do. Its not something you can easily, or normally test in a lab. Apple's own specs say operate between 0C-35C.
Apple should have no trouble at all testing freezing temperatures relative to other tests they perform. And I’d bet good money they put these devices through a range of environmental tests to hunt bugs exactly like this one.

But that doesn’t mean they’ll catch all the factors which go into a bug like this surfacing. Some other confounding factor or factors are bound to be involved (e.g. rate of temperature swing). Either way, they’ve (presumably) addressed the bug promptly, and thankfully it (presumably) is a software rather than a hardware concern.

Last edited:

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
We'll see, but so far it's not really all that different from iOS 10.

"Not really all that different".

Nov 16, 2016: iOS 10 on it's 4th version (5th if you had iP7).
Nov 16, 2017: iOS 11 on it's 7th version.

At what point does it become "that different"?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Feels weird to read the Update notes that only mention the iPhone X, and yet it's somehow an update for my iPhone SE? Maybe this is the first time that I'll skip an update, since it offers nothing for me.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I'm sure they test all kind of conditions smarty... or at least you would hope so... Apple isn't as dumb as you think
Then why exactly they had this problem to begin with? So maybe they're dumb enough to overlook a lot of things. Not saying has to be perfect but yeah more problems besides they design an antenna that failed miserably, an Apple map that that brings you to the airport runway. Just to name a few.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Feels weird to read the Update notes that only mention the iPhone X, and yet it's somehow an update for my iPhone SE? Maybe this is the first time that I'll skip an update, since it offers nothing for me.
An update likely addresses bugs and optimizations beyond what is mentioned in the release. Not that there’s any material harm in skipping.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's a huge difference - this time last year people had only had to update their phones 4 times (3 if they didn't have iP 7/7+). This is already the SEVENTH public release of iOS 11 that's near or over 100% increase.

That's huge. And that's only sticking to the numbers and not even factoring in the rise in missing features at launch (3D Touch multi tasking, Apple Pay Cash, iMessages in the Cloud (how many did iOS 10 have?)), high profile bugs (8/8+ crackling sound, "I" autocorrect, calculator, 3D Touch lag, design slop, X getting cold (How many did iOS 10 have?)) and more anecdotal problems than previous years.

In ways you can measure scientifically (patch updates, missing features, bugs) and non-scientifically (complaints), it's a huge difference. And basically you can't really argue with numbers, you can choose to ignore them by saying it's not that different, but I prefer to work on evidence.
It's not a huge difference. iOS 10 was on 10.1.1 at this time (which came out even earlier than 11.1.1 did this year), while iOS 11 got 11.1.2 just now. iOS 11 is with one bug fix more at this point. And that's without putting it in the context of there being a whole brand new and different iPhone in addition to all the same ones that are there from before.

This whole thing about it being a huge difference and some 100% increase is a nice spin. On the one hand we are suddenly talking about how many times people had to update the phone, and then on the other hand we are counting actual releases saying it's the "SEVENTH" release for iOS 11, comparing number of updates to releases, which aren't the same. You might say that in that particular case it's only off by 1 there, but then apparently a difference of about 2 is "huge" so surely 1 is significant then. Why not put the hyperbole to the side and simply say that there's a difference there?

Reactions: tooloud10

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Glad to see the update. I saw the portrait mode bug yesterday and it was so annoying.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ever give a thought what you just wrote? You just meant Android is more stable than iOS. 4 updates within 2 months is amazing? Rather 0 updates without bugs fixes than plagued with bugs which needs to be fixed.
Or it can mean that things just don't get addressed quickly (if at all given that various devices sometimes don't even really even get updates).

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Then why exactly they had this problem to begin with? So maybe they're dumb enough to overlook a lot of things. Not saying has to be perfect but yeah more problems besides they design an antenna that failed miserably, an Apple map that that brings you to the airport runway. Just to name a few.

Software and hardware design and development are not as linear as you make them out to be.

The Apple Maps issue was a failure, but not by way of a poor design. It was merely lacking sufficient input data to work as intended. They were not using Google's data sources, for example, which are far more mature. They eventually addressed this by radically increasing the amount of data available, while continuing to improve the software.

In terms of this iPhone X problem, since they fixed it with a software update, it clearly was an oversight, but they may have already known about it prior to the public release. Software development happens in "branches"... different teams contributing code changes and then that all gets merged into a single final product. Sometimes a branch is not yet ready, so it doesn't get merged. And quite often, real world usage bests internal testing.
[doublepost=1510874193][/doublepost]
As multiple people in the thread have replied, an update likely addresses bugs and optimizations beyond what is mentioned in the release. Not that there’s any material harm in skipping.

I'm a software engineer. I'm well aware that there may be minor fixes not worth noting, but they usually add a line such as "Performance and security fixes" to the release notes. They did no such thing this time, only mentioning two high-level bugs, and that was it. So that suggests it may indeed only fix those issues, and the rest of the fixes are coming in 11.2 That would make sense to me.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I'm a software engineer.
So am I. But not one working for Apple, so I wouldn’t presume my understanding translates to this circumstance.

I'm well aware that there may be minor fixes not worth noting, but they usually add a line such as "Performance and security fixes" to the release notes. They did no such thing this time, only mentioning two high-level bugs, and that was it. So that suggests it may indeed only fix those issues, and the rest of the fixes are coming in 11.2 That would make sense to me.
You may well be correct, but the only scenario I can imagine is if they have some engineering efforts dedicated to quickly patching these specific issues with early releases while other more general work is dedicated to a future release (e.g. to speed release and minimize potential for new bugs). Although I wouldn’t draw conclusions strictly on whether they include a generic line in the patch notes.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
When it comes to freezing temperatures, yes I do. Its not something you can easily, or normally test in a lab. Apple's own specs say operate between 0C-35C.
I'm not equating an iPhone X to a vehicle. I was just highlighting that all X owners don't live in Miami and Apple surely knows this when engineering a telephone.

It's going to be in the 20's tomorrow night where I am and colder for a few months. Good thing I don't have an iPhone X I guess :rolleyes: What a weird, rare event, huh?

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
iPhone X is a warm climate smartphone before the new iOS update! Just keep the X close to your body for warm and go inside a heated enclosure to use.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Does it fix the wi-fi glitch where it doesn't turn off completely? I am on 11.1.1 on my X and I have that issue. It's a minor annoyance and livable, but should be fixed?

Reactions: Rhartford

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
So just for iPhone X or all iOS devices (especially with the mention of "for your iPhone and iPad")?
i imagine this:

- Addresses an issue that could cause distortion in Live Photos and videos captured with iPhone X

is for all iOS devices.. at least, that's my interpretation of it.
[doublepost=1510876875][/doublepost]
Does it fix the wi-fi glitch where it doesn't turn off completely? I am on 11.1.1 on my X and I have that issue. It's a minor annoyance and livable, but should be fixed?
turn off wi-fi in Settings-> Wi-Fi.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Great- I’m stuck on public beta 11.2 and can’t get this update on my X... guess I’ll have to live a bit longer with that unresponsive screen...

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
i imagine this:

- Addresses an issue that could cause distortion in Live Photos and videos captured with iPhone X

is for all iOS devices.. at least, that's my interpretation of it.
[doublepost=1510876875][/doublepost]
turn off wi-fi in Settings-> Wi-Fi.

Yes, that's what I do, but Control Center is designed to make settings a little more intuitive because of screen brightness, airplane mode, etc.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
It's not a huge difference. iOS 10 was on 10.1.1 at this time (which came out even earlier than 11.1.1 did this year), while iOS 11 got 11.1.2 just now. iOS 11 is with one bug fix more at this point. And that's without putting it in the context of there being a whole brand new and different iPhone in addition to all the same ones that are there from before.

This whole thing about it being a huge difference and some 100% increase is a nice spin. On the one hand we are suddenly talking about how many times people had to update the phone, and then on the other hand we are counting actual releases saying it's the "SEVENTH" release for iOS 11, comparing number of updates to releases, which aren't the same. You might say that in that particular case it's only off by 1 there, but then apparently a difference of about 2 is "huge" so surely 1 is significant then. Why not put the hyperbole to the side and simply say that there's a difference there?

Depends which way you look at it. I think looking at how many versions have been released/number of times people have had to update the phone is more meaningful than misleadingly using the version numbers. For example iOS 5.1.1 was the 4th (& final) version of iOS 5, whereas iOS 11.1.1 was the 6th (& nowhere near final) version of iOS 11. Comparing the two, simply because they have the same version number, doesn’t tell the real story.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I'm a software engineer. I'm well aware that there may be minor fixes not worth noting, but they usually add a line such as "Performance and security fixes" to the release notes. They did no such thing this time, only mentioning two high-level bugs, and that was it. So that suggests it may indeed only fix those issues, and the rest of the fixes are coming in 11.2 That would make sense to me.
Not quite:

iOS 11.1.2 includes bug fixes for your iPhone and iPad. This update:

• Fixes an issue where the iPhone X screen becomes temporarily unresponsive to touch after a rapid temperature
drop
• Addresses an issue that could cause distortion in Live Photos and videos captured with iPhone X

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.