Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The GUI lost the features then... What you have to remember is that a lot of people are not comfortable using terminal.
Guess why those advanced options are now cli-only ;) It is for this very same reason: it requires knowledge in order to operate it properly and/or make sure you don't mess up your system. People who are scared/not comfortable with the cli are usually also the ones that lack the appropriate knowledge and thus are far more prone in hosing their systems. Some things really are rocket science and thus require a rocket scientist so why bug a carpenter with it?

Reactions: LV426

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I waited long enough for the update to apply.
Forced a reboot and ta-da, Apple logo flashes twice and login window appears..

Gonna download and apply the combo update to be safe.
Anyone knows if that applies to the recovery update too?
Phew. That looked damn scary!

Each of my computers seems to have a different set of updates somehow. None of them gave me that beautiful glitch art screen though... Hope it's gone for good!

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Phew. That looked damn scary!

Each of my computers seems to have a different set of updates somehow. None of them gave me that beautiful glitch art screen though... Hope it's gone for good!

Scared the crap out of me, finding a HD and turning on time-machine as we speak ;)

Reactions: navaira

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
so anyone tested usb or flash drives yet in all the usb ports for proper operation? I'm afraid to try this yet after all the troubles prior.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm having some serious freezing that often requires hard rebooting, I just hope this fixes that. One thing I'm promising to myself though: next year I'm not upgrading until at least 6 months after the release of 10.12 for sure! Looks like the new fad is that OS X spends 1.5 years in beta and then 6 months being useful.

Reactions: Chones cajones

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Good News! It fixed (at least in icon view) the issue where finder view would not return to your original position, but default to the top, when clicking on a folder then clicking back. Working has been unbearable the past several months due to this issue.

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Everything since Yosemite makes the UI pretty darn laggy if I put my resolution to "More Space". They still haven't fix anything in El Capitan regards to that (Especially App folder animation). Not to mention both me and my wife still find the green button for maximize/minimize function to be a huge cluster ****. It's entirely pointless and awful for people who are in software development.

No laggy UI for me and the green button is awesome (and I'm in software development)

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Good News! It fixed (at least in icon view) the issue where finder view would not return to your original position, but default to the top, when clicking on a folder then clicking back. Working has been unbearable the past several months due to this issue.
DUDE!! I have been getting that problem! I'm glad i'm not the only here with the issue. I thought i was going crazy.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I'm having some serious freezing that often requires hard rebooting, I just hope this fixes that. One thing I'm promising to myself though: next year I'm not upgrading until at least 6 months after the release of 10.12 for sure! Looks like the new fad is that OS X spends 1.5 years in beta and then 6 months being useful.

Yep, same here. I haven't had any major problems with El Capitan but the older I get, the less understanding and patience I have for buggy software releases. It really is better to wait till they squash out the multitude of nasty bugs they are in a habit to ship as of late. Next year I'm waiting for 10.12.2 and its iOS counterpart.

Reactions: karltc

gario1

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
The update screwed up my wife's user account (no others were messed up). System response on her log in is very slow and applications will not launch nor will system preferences. (both giving errors) Any suggestions on how to fix would be great.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Had that too, removed Microsoft Silverlight, problem solved.
Needed it for a site to watch live TV, later on reinstalled silverlight, no freezing occurred since then.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Did they fix Preview or is it still broken? (open PDF, zoom it a lot, crash, display corruption, and even system crash sometimes)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The update screwed up my wife's user account (no others were messed up). System response on her log in is very slow and applications will not launch nor will system preferences. (both giving errors) Any suggestions on how to fix would be great.

Hold down Shift instantly after logging into her account, if that solves the problem go into Users and Groups Preference pane, locate Login Items, one of them might cause problems.
Remove all of them, log out and in again without holding Shift key, problem solved, if so one of your login Items is causing it.
Add login item one by one, each time log out and in again until it gets slow, this way you know which one is causing the slowliness.
See if there is an update.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
My MacBook Pro wont restart, it was on the update screen and then it kinda just was going on/off to that screen. Now it won't boot anymore at all!
This can't be happening, it's literally the day after my apple care expires!!

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Is continuous-scroll in Pro Tools still jagged? Quartz Debug tools don't allow "Disable Beam Sync" in ElCap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.