Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
I wonder if it magically devours batteries like the Magic Mouse?

( The magic mouse has the worst battery life I've ever known. Still, its a great mouse )

Maybe you are using bad batteries or something but I use my magic mouse every single day for 8+ hours and it takes at least a month before I have to recharge them. (I use eneloop NIMH but Apple's batteries/charger may be just as good)

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Only use for this would be if the software you can use on the mbp trackpads to turn it into a graphics tablet of sorts works...

Which is should do (Cant remember the name of the software now but it comes with a pen etc too) sketch pad? or something im not sure

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
I am a long time mouse user but after using the trackpad on the MB and MB Pro I miss it when I connect it to my monitor and go back to the mouse.

It is not a complete mouse replacement but for scrolling and other features I could easily get a lot of use out of it.

I too wonder if it'l be in stores today, I'd pop by and pick one up to try it.

For HTPC it'll be a perfect piece, a simple slab that will run Plex or Frontrow. I wonder how ergonomic it is to hold in your hand.

Apple needs the software to setup a dead zone, so if your holding it with your thumb on the track pad surface for balance it doesn't register.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
This is great for me on Saturday - I'll be using a glass desk again and won't need a mat to be able to get it to 'see' the position of the red light.

I've been waiting for one of these :D

shaynes

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
oh my... they are now offering a simple battery charger and make it sound they reengineered lunar lander. It's just a battery charger, and it even doesn't look different than others, really. Sometimes it would be nice to not overshoot in the PR department *all* the time.
Imagine the guy who was tasked with providing the text for a full web page.

"Vampire draw"... ROTFL!

Do some research on batteries and chargers. Not just a marketing idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_draw

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Huh, and the thing most people I know dislike about laptops is the trackpad, so they use mice...

For me, a mouse with programmable buttons is just so much more comfortable to use, my hand always starts to feel cramped after using a trackpad. (yes, Macbook Pro trackpads included) That being said, I kind of want this to use as a controller if I'm leaning back and watching a movie or something. Is that convenience worth $69? I'm sure my gadget lust will figure out a way to justify it.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
This is great for me on Saturday - I'll be using a glass desk again and won't need a mat to be able to get it to 'see' the position of the red light.

I've been waiting for one of these :D

I would cut some vinyl and stick it to the under-side of your table, maybe frosted vinyl, i think that would work. Just an idea.

townerboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
SF
maybe its only me, but i find the multi touch gestures too hard, and prefer a mouse. so i won;t be buying one.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
not a big fan of this thing, a traditional mouse feels much more efficient and comfortable.

Have you spent any time at all with the similar trackpads on the laptops? There are definitely reasons to use a mouse with certain apps, but for general use, the current trackpads are head and shoulders better than a mouse. I've yet to encounter a single person that doesn't find a mouse arcane after using the trackpad for a while.

shaynes

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
I would cut some vinyl and stick it to the under-side of your table, maybe frosted vinyl, i think that would work. Just an idea.

I'm no expert, but it seems like sticking something on the underside of the desk would be akin to hovering the mouse above the surface of a normal table, depending how thick the desk is. I can't see this working well.

jkane08

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Are you just implying that this is a baby step in the full picture of eliminating the mouse altogether? If so, that's what I was thinking as well, as I said they would "evolve" it to eventually replace the mouse.

I think what the person may have meant by "multitouch training.." is that the people who think the mac computers are innovative, and use them, but don't care for the iphone/ipad (hard to believe, but i know mac people who are not interested in either), this would offer ample use of the multitouch, and make them more familiar, and more biased towards these products then in the long run.

I also agree with the evolution of the mouse though. I don't want to lift my hand to my 27inch computer screen and drag stuff around. a pad sitting on my desk or lap to do it on is much more comfortable.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
THIS.

should be between $35 and $50, max.

You obviously haven't used the trackpad on the new MacBooks(Pro). $69 is a very good price for the size and quality of the trackpad. People also seem to not get that you can PHYSICALLY CLICK anywhere on the trackpad. It feels just like a mouse button when you do this.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Absolutely. The stock functionality is nice, but BTT really makes my MacBook Pro trackpad a joy to use. When web browsing, I use three finger swipe gestures to go back and forward on the site, I use four finger gestures to invoke Expose (though Snow Leopard later added that). It's so much faster and more fluid than using a mouse, or any other trackpad by any other company.

The one thing that still sucks about the MacBook Pro trackpad is its Windows support. I have a newer model that doesn't have a separate physical button, and Windows keeps registering both the finger I initially use to navigate and the finger I use to click (often my thumb). Mac OS X is smart enough to ignore the second finger input within a certain range of motion, knowing it's for clicking, whereas Windows does not. But it's a great experience in OS X.

I do the same thing and I added three finger down swipes to close browser tabs and some more gestures for certain apps to make them work more fluid. Apple's trackpads really are the only reason I have stuck with their laptops over their desktops. Now I really might consider getting rid of the Macbook Pro and getting an iMac instead for real work and supplementing it with an iPad for my mobile needs which rarely if ever involve doing hardcore work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.