Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
I'm not sure why people are all fussed up about Apple doing original content for its Apple TV. It makes perfect sense if they're trying to put out a box that is meant to replace cable, and be the product of choice for consumers when considering a streaming box. This means exclusive content, but also the ability to stream Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and all that crap in one place.

Reactions: Gasu E. and mejsric

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I don't think we need new content, I think we need to consolidate how we get current content - and on our terms.

Reactions: 5105973

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I still don't like it and people hate exclusives. Plus I don't think Apple needs to be wasting a lot of time supporting other platforms which they surely would have to if they get into the exclusive content business. If Apple is trying to figure out what to do with all their cash how about making entry level storage on iOS devices 32GB and how about making iCloud more competitive with Google, Microsoft and Dropbox.
People pay for exclusives. That's HBO's and Showtime's business models.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Apple is getting into everything these days. Do you all think they appear to have a solid game plan or are they just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks?

Military, music, automobiles, wearables, home automation...
It's all grist for the rumor mill, IMO intended to maintain the image of a company so big, so wonderful, and so creative, there are no limits to what it can do. Maintaining this fairy tale is what levitates the share price, and God knows TC is interested in that levitation -- at least until 2017.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
"Music"? You might as well have listed "smartphones" or "desktop computers". I don't think a 12 year old business counts as a "throwing things against the wall" situation.
Apple Music in its current trial iteration is new. The argument could be made for or against any of their new endeavors being a "throwing things against the wall situation". We are on the outside looking in so we can't really know for sure how and why all of these rumored or known endeavors are going to fit in with the Apple brand. I just know that the rumors are coming in fast and involve an interesting mix.

So far Apple hasn't been rumored to be undertaking anything that couldn't fit in comfortably with their brand with sufficient effort and planning. It's not like they're getting into delivering Halloween costumes while building cell phones like Amazon.

Now Amazon is a company that's become one big scary blob with no real identity. Some beloved local businesses in my region went under because they couldn't compete with Amazon, which has gotten into everything. Well, I'm not here to complain about Amazon, or Apple for that matter. There has been a lot of insightful commenting and speculation in this thread and some humor, too. I don't intend to take away from that by injecting any negativity.

I just hope that through it all, Tim remains cognizant of the fact that Apple has a unique identity and a lot of good will built by Steve. And that's as precious as hoards of cash and must not be squandered. The hoards of cash were built on the foundation of Apple's reputation as a company dedicated to giving us a better experience of their products than other companies give for their products.

tknelson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Wait another 10 years, Apple, that way you'll be sure you're too late.

Seriously. I was suggesting this almost five years ago as a way to light a fire under an improved Apple TV (and before Netflix started doing this) and I wasn't the only one. I think they have waited too long to get into this game and claim they are "perhaps not the first but the first to do it right".

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Seriously. I was suggesting this almost five years ago as a way to light a fire under an improved Apple TV (and before Netflix started doing this) and I wasn't the only one. I think they have waited too long to get into this game and claim they are "perhaps not the first but the first to do it right".

You say "waited too long" as though no one else is allowed to make TV anymore.

While our viewing habits have changed over the last 3/4 century... there will still be a need for television production.

Honda was "late" to the automobile industry... they made their first car 60 years after Ford.

But aren't you glad Honda jumped into the game?

Tacitus

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2004
UK
I also don't want device sales threatened because some faction out there finds their programming offensive and I don't want the programming to be bland because they're afraid to offend someone.
And that's another reason they should spin off Beats music. In terms of brand management, I really don't see Beats and the rap crowd being a good fit with Apple. Spin Beats off and run it as a wholly owned, arm's length subsidiary.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Not a fan of this at all. Apple doesn't need original content and Eddy Cue should be focused on making iCloud, Apple Music and Siri best in class. They're not right now. If he really wants to do this then Apple should spin off Beats into its own company and Cue can go run it. Then Cook can poach someone from Google, Microsoft or Amazon that really understands internet services.

I don't know about Siri being best in class. While it's great for what it is Google's just too big. I don't think its Android voice assistant will ever be topped by Siri, in the same way that Google Maps will never be topped by Apple Maps

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
I worry about Apple being stretched to thin and having too many irons in the fire. We've got the Watch now; who knows how that will evolve and where else Apple will go in the wearables space and what the future is for ResearchKit. We don't know what Apple's plans in the home automation space are. Apple Music is still far from great. Siri could be so much better, same with Apple Maps. Apple has made lots of changes to iOS and OS X over the last 3 years that require more polish. We have Apple making a big push in the enterprise. There are rumors about an iPad "Pro" and of course the Apple car rumors. I think Apple has a full plate right now and I worry they're trying to take on too much and the user experience suffers because of it.
I think Apple is going to have to refactor itself if it intends to release a new major product every few years. Businesses that get too big for their own good tend to have to do this after awhile. Perhaps they'll spin off a company, maybe one dedicated to the watch.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
I guess you are unaware that Disney owns Pixar and comparing Apple to either of these makes no sense whatsoever.
Well... Disney may own Pixar, but Disney is NOT Pixar. They have managed to keep a clear distinction between the two companies over the years. Although they are financially linked, their products are very different. I personally think Pixar>Disney though. :)

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
They need to change how those services work, they aren't reliable. Maybe Cue needs to be set aside in order to fix them.
What's interesting to me is people bash Apple for outages because the are held to a much higher standard. Google who's services people have to completely depend on because they are all cloud based instead of being local and just having a Cloud component, has more outages. The difference is how the media portrays it. They congratulate Google for fixing a problem after an extended period, while saying apple finally fix a problem in their faulty system.

Reactions: kds1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.