Apple Said to Shift to Lower Power IGZO Displays for MacBook Pro Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2017.

1. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

It does, doesn't it?

You totally missed the point of my post :(
    I want thinnest possible. Make it look like a plate, behave like a plate, and function like a plate. Coz that's the way Apple is heading :D

2. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I realize you are joking but the relentless clash of "thinner" and battery seems to inevitably culminate in the battery getting jettisoned. I mean, we just rationalized the headphone jack getting jettisoned on arguments like "antiquated/outdated." Well guess what is an OLDER technology than that headphone jack?

And Apple seems to be "innovating" heavily around the idea of add-on stuff (sold separately of course) to deliver what used to be built inside... so why not eject the battery and then sell small ("thinnest"), medium ("thinner") and larger ("thin") add-on packs so that people "can get whatever amount of battery they want."

Apple would get their 5 seconds at the big reveal to spin "thinnest MB ever" AND the increased revenue on each MB transaction since pretty much everyone would need to buy a battery pack of some size. Make it so that the pack must connect via a proprietary, patent-protected jack so that only Apple has supply for the first X months the new MB is out... and licensing keeps third parties from being able to roll out much cheaper alternatives.

Of course, with iPhone Apple learned they can eject that thing and raise the price, so why not eject this thing and raise the price? And they learned they can make the thing ejected connect via a proprietary jack for anyone that wants the functionality that used to be built inside, so Apple gets paid (extra) either way.

Bad dream? Or "the future" coming to Apple laptops near us all? :eek:

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Now we know why Apple didn't wait for it.

4. Luscious Suspended

"as soon as later this year". Oh, really, that soon huh? LOL. How about just "later this year" since if later this year is Q4 of 2017 it won't be happening "soon".

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Just let me know the price so I can have up for it. I'll sell/give away my 2016 15" MBP.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    According to your siggy you didn't upgrade as there was no need to remember?
    You keep telling yourself that... you really think Apple was going to go up forever even as they've been the one of/most valuable company for years now.

6. hajime macrumors 603

Does that mean we have to wait at least until the end of 2017 to be able to purchase the next round of MBPs?

7. NufSaid macrumors regular

NufSaid

I would like better battery for most things and railed against thin, but now that I have it - this simply is the most amazing machine I have ever owned.

I am blown away at the precision. I am stunned at how well the trackpad works. And .....the touch bar is getting touched - it is useful.

8. Larry The L Suspended

In comparing the platforms, you can't just look at battery life. How about all the other features that come into play when comparing? What good does better battery life do for a windows machine that can't do all the things the mac does?

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I'm in love with my 2016 MBP for sure. It's amazing!

10. Appleaker macrumors 68020

No, it is not wrong to say that increasing efficiency and capacity will solve the battery issues. Even if it was solely due to drivers (which is ISN'T), it would result in better battery life.

The battery life is repeatable. It is clear that you do not own a new MBP and so do not have the experience to say that. The Consumer Reports tests (which were obviously software related) aren't the only battery tests in the world.
    Compared to the true battery life of the new MBP, their battery life is decent.

However, I wasn't talking about those. I was talking about newer Windows notebooks that have 12-18 hours of battery life. I believe the new Surface Book has 16 hours, although its probably 12-13 in reality.
    I did not compare platforms. I didn't say that a Windows laptop should be bought instead of a MacBook Pro.

I did say that some newer Windows laptops have better battery life than any notebook Apple has produced.

For most people, theres really not much that a PC can't do and a Mac can. In fact, it's often the other way round due to application support and better internals (although those notebooks do not have better battery life).

11. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Or, they can reduce the battery capacity further to make the notebook thinner and lighter.

12. Appleaker macrumors 68020

That won't happen for another few years. The 15" might get thinner, but they might be more likely to get slightly thicker (~0.2mm) if there will be any change to thickness.

13. macTW Suspended

Adding those back would be beyond stupid, according to the direction the tech industry wants to go. even if they could add them back while maintaining thinness, they wouldn't.

14. citysnaps macrumors 601

That's true...

I suspect 99%+ Apple customers will not be doing or need to do that kind of photo processing on their laptop. Speaking as a photographer, I suspect that's true for 99% of photographers as well.

Apple knows who their customer base is.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Thats apple. They will just make the laptop thinner instead cuz who needs battery life on a portable machine

16. ralphthemagi macrumors member

ralphthemagi

The battery life is really not that bad. And by not that bad, I mean it's actually pretty great considering the intensity of the display.

The whining on these forums is pretty disastrous. I've been running off a 13" 2012 MacBook Air since… well, since 2012. It served me fantastically, but the display was getting a bit splotchy. I just bought a decked out 15" 2016 MBP. It takes a few days to settle. iCloud, Mail, Photos, Spotlight, Messages, iTunes, Time Machine… all this background **** running basically nonstop for days. After that, battery life is a good 8+ hours. The display is incredible. I don't even know what to do with it honestly, since my external display is crap by comparison now.

Even the dongles… really not a big deal. I just need one—USB-C to USB-A for a hub. Everything else is a few dollars on Amazon for a new cables (USB-C to DisplayPort, USB-C to USB-MicroB, etc.). Carry an extra USB-C to USB-A adapter in the bag just incase. People make a big deal out of the silliest things.

This "disaster" of a notebook is the best computer I've ever owned. If the battery goes to hell in a year I'll hand it in and get another one, NBD. That's the glory of AppleCare. Maybe I'll get the new display an an extra 30 minutes of battery life.

17. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

This is highly unlikely. A notebook computer without power is useless. Not useless in the sense that a computer without a floppy drive is useless to someone whose livelihood or self worth is dependent on having a built-in optical drive. I mean truly useless as a notebook computer. The only way the battery would be removed would be if it were replaced by some other technology (e.g., capacitors instead of batteries, or ubiquitous wireless power).

18. Investor27 macrumors regular

You just know that Apple will use the IGZO panels as an excuse to put in a smaller battery in order to bolster their bottom line. A 10% reduction of the battery saved them billions of dollars in the new Pro, which translate into higher profit margins for Tim Cook and Apple.

19. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

If this is coming out later this year, my guess would be that it'd already be priced into the latest MBPs so they can avoid introducing a price increase on an "incremental" upgrade.

20. thasan macrumors 65816

Perhaps... for me, it's a deal breaker. I see some options in the market now. Hopefully they get more reliable within the next few months when I finally considering buying an MBP with touch bar.

21. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

This should make everyone who just shelled out $3000+ for a new MBP 2016 feel real warm and fuzzy that they will soon have an inferior MBP.

22. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I wouldn't put it past Apple. The first Retina 13" was made thinner in less than one year I believe.

23. Investor27 macrumors regular

Please post your tweaks and stripped out functions. It can help a lot of people on here.

24. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

[citation needed]

25. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

I bet you are right. The current price seems high compared to the hardware utilized. I bet they are thinking ahead (with their wallets). I think with a better screen it will be closer to a fair (Apple) price for what you'll be getting.