Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Obviously i know wtf i signed... I'm saying apple releasing the X at a later time then releasing it earlier the following year is messing everyone up with the iPhone plan.
Why? Is it imperative that you have the new phone on release? You can't wait for your 12 months is up to upgrade?
Don't understand the gripe?

Reactions: DCINKC

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Did you adjust for inflation? Also the new phones now do a lot more than the high end phones from 4+ years ago.

Inflation is just a few % per annum, and the iPhone X doesn't cost €400 more to make, Apple wanted/charges to much for the X and if rumours are true Apple is aware of this by lowering the prices.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
I understand what you are trying to say. You feel you should be able to upgrade sooner than a year without paying for however many months early you are when the new device is released. I do not understand how buying an iPhone X that was released in October or November and then wanting to upgrade to the next device that will likely be released in September and having to pay for the month or two that you are early to upgrade (according to the agreed upon terms) is the same as Apple preventing you from getting a new phone every year. You can get a phone every year. Or you can get a phone earlier than every year and pay the difference.
I think on that score one of two things will happen -

Apple will happily forgive the 2 months since they are going to be able to refurb/resell your phone anyways and it's a great customer service piece for the Upgrade program members. A perk, if you will.

-or-

The iPhone release cycle has moved to November. That gives them almost another two months of production, or time to iron out all the production wrinkles, and improves availability at launch.

I think they've moved the launch cycle. Maybe it was due to hardware issues. Maybe it was due to software issues. However, a longer lead between the announcement and launch lets everyone -- buyers, channel partners, carriers -- prepare for what's coming.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
Wow, I wonder if this is calculated.

Of course it is. Report lower orders/low production launch numbers to drive up demand. After launch, you'll hear "we sold out due to unprecedented demand" and "We've increased our production to meet the worldwide demand." Investors get their panties wet and stock goes up.

Reactions: KazKam

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
At what point do rumor sites stop printing this garbage? Every year it’s the same crap then Apple reports record numbers. Rinse and repeat.

Counter question: Why wouldn’t they (Macrumors) print this type of material? Even if it is conflicting or generally not true, if I were to conduct a rumored website, this is material that I would print because it still qualifies as (A)A rumor, (B) Creates controversy/speculation on an Apple related site and (C) Generates clicks, which in turn is what this website relies on the traffic for business.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
The only company in the world that can order components to build 80 Million phones and the stock drops!
80 Million multiplied by an average $600 selling price is $48 Billion in revenue. That is only for the rest of 2018.
With margins in the 35% range that's a heck of a lot of profit.

A license to print money and people still aren't happy.

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
I'm in no rush for a new iPhone. My 7 has been working perfectly well and I don't want a phone that's ALL glass. With the $29 battery replacement I expect my phone to keep working fine for another 2 years. After the 7, there hasn't been any new features that I "must have". I suspect we're nearing, or have already hit, smartphone peak.

Agree except for the phone’s design. X is new and different.

Yay the lack of availability hype begins again. Love this time of year :)

Apple hit the absolute limits of what they could charge for a phone with the X last year. The paid the price for that to some extent. They may also find that people who DID buy the X will be far less inclined to now upgrade every year. I used to but I can't justify that kind of price for something I don't need EVERY year.

The X should tide me over for a while despite the incoming incremental upgrades of marginally better camera features, faster Face ID, and pseudo 'upgrades' that amount to functionality they chose not to offer on older devices.

Having the iPhone X, there is no need to upgrade to this year's iPhone X2. 2019 iPhone X3 will be the one to upgrade to. This year's will be more of an S upgrade.

I'm not surprised that orders are expected to decline. I have an iPhone 7, and I'm very happy with it, even though this is the first time I haven't purchased a new phone every year. I'll probably get a new phone in the fall, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

Still, a 20% reduction seems huge, which makes me doubt the rumor is correct. There are other possibilities, too. Maybe Apple is trying to optimize its supply chain in some way to ensure better just in time manufacturing. Maybe there are more colors or some other reason to keep inventory more responsive to demand.

My dog, first-world problems you guys! I can’t even imagine getting a brand new iPhone every two years, let alone every 1 year.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh dear, don’t know what to say, people on here refused point blank to accept the iPhone wasn’t selling well, highlighted by endless reports of component orders for the X being slashed by 50%, now we have a report they have slashed orders for all the new iPhones by 20%...

Well I hope the do drop the price of the iPhone this year.

chappel

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
I'm in no rush for a new iPhone. My 7 has been working perfectly well and I don't want a phone that's ALL glass. With the $29 battery replacement I expect my phone to keep working fine for another 2 years. After the 7, there hasn't been any new features that I "must have". I suspect we're nearing, or have already hit, smartphone peak.

My 7Plus is also working great, and although I was tempted by the X - particularly the nearly identically sized screen on a more conveniently sized phone - I didn't consider that enough of an excuse for an upgrade either. I'm looking forward to seeing what they offer in September, but based on all the hype, 5G may be the next big thing worth getting a new phone for - and I'm sure that's still a couple years away from any significant roll-out.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It’s not really an “extra” $112 is it though? You were always going to pay $670 for the iPhone X you have and you’ll still only pay that.

If you choose to upgrade 2 months early because the next iPhone are available earlier, and bring forward 2 monthly instalments, that is your choice. But Apple is not asking/forcing you too and is still not charging you any extra over what you already agreed to pay them.

Personally speaking though, anyone who paid $999+ for a smartphone needs to give their head a little wobble anyways, so not really surprising so many struggle to grasp how their repayment plans work.
Are you insulting my intelligence just because I have enough disposable income to enjoy something that I'm passionate about? Seriously? Get off your high horse.

There are plenty of people that spend money on things that I think are ridiculous, such as high-end luxury cars. You know what my car payment is every month? $0.00. I pay cash on used cars that I get good deals on. But I don't go around on car forums telling people they have a screw loose because they bought something they're passionate about. I put my money where I want to, end of story. It's none of your concern, full stop. I understand how repayment plans work. I use it for the convenience. I don't have to mess with selling on Craigslist any more. And now they just ship me my new iPhone with a return box for the old one. Easy.

I run a very tight budget and put a lot away each month for investments, retirement, and my children's college funds. I grew up with two idiotic, abusive parents who had mental issues and were always poor because they didn't know how to manage wealth. I know how a freaking repayment plan works.

Since you're a world renown mathematician, allow me to break it down in terms that even a potato would understand:

September: $112 for old iPhone X + $56 for a new iPhone X payment
October: $56 for iPhone X payment, etc for the next year

If they had instead released last September on-time, this is what would happen:

September: $56 for new iPhone X payment
October: $56 for iPhone X payment, etc for the next year

Can you honestly not see the difference here? I'm paying $672 for a ten month period instead of a twelve month period. Over the twelve month period September 2017-2018 I'm paying $784. That is how you budget. I did not budget for that increased cost. Can I cover it? Easy-peasy-lemon-squeazy. But that's not the point. It's about them potentially screwing over their best customers who pay them annually at launch for the most expensive iPhone they make.

I always get the new iPhone at launch. Since they've had the upgrade program, the launch has always been one year apart. The framed it as being easy to upgrade every year. Last year they ran late and I had to pay two months extra on my iPhone 7 before I could get my hands on the iPhone X. I could wait until November, but why should I have to just because they ran into manufacturing problems? I've been doing this since 6-29-07.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
Did you adjust for inflation? Also the new phones now do a lot more than the high end phones from 4+ years ago.
Those iPhones weren’t less innovative in their time than today’s lineup is nowadays. Of course each new generation has a technological advantage over its predecessor due to technology evolving in the time between their releases.

PS: $700 in 2014 equal around $740 in 2018, the average inflation rate was 1.43 % over the last years. But $640 was never the price of an high end model, the base model started at $649 for the longest time of the iPhone pricing history. His memory deluded him.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Oh dear, don’t know what to say, people on here refused point blank to accept the iPhone wasn’t selling well, highlighted by endless reports of component orders for the X being slashed by 50%, now we have a report they have slashed orders for all the new iPhones by 20%...

Well I hope the do drop the price of the iPhone this year.
Seriously, what are you talking about? The amount of ignorance still on display after Apple completely refuted all these claims with actual numbers in Q1 and Q2 is just amazing.

You still spout this nonsense after Cook told us 2 quarters in a row that the X was the best selling iPhone every week since release, has all time high satisfaction rates, iPhone ASP was almost $800 in Q1, and Apple posting record iPhone Revenue and profits in both Q1 and Q2.

The iPhone X WAS and IS selling well (better than any iPhone), based on what Cook himself said and the financial performance of AAPL and is why AAPL is trading at all time highs. The reports the iPhone X cut orders 50% was wrong and so is this report, as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCINKC and mejsric

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah, and gasoline used to be 25 cents a gallon 'back in the day'

Ah, but not all things increase in price because of inflation or invention. TVs are a prime example. Our first DLP set cost ~$3,200. It’s replacement cost $1,200. Same manufacturer, larger screen, and better reliability. Furthermore, you can buy a higher res LCD for sub $1,000.

I assume iPhones remain expensive because Apple is able to exploit its brand image. On the real cost side, Apple loves to show off its engineering prowess to achieve things that aren’t obvious to the user or justifiably better (butterfly keys). Their solutions are expensive.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Bad move if the newly released OLED models is cheaper than the X. Nice way to shoot yourself in the foot again. This time for not enough supply for demand.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
I wish we could offload that computing power to a “new Mac mini” that sat on the desk or stayed in my backpack and plugged into my usb devices and hdmi tv.

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011

This is exactly how I feel at the moment.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
Why? Is it imperative that you have the new phone on release? You can't wait for your 12 months is up to upgrade?
Don't understand the gripe?
I thought they said you’d always have the latest phone, as part of the bargain. Was the 12 month wait in small print?

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Just so everyone knows, this is fake new from the Nikkei Asian Review which was wrong just a few months ago about iPhone X and has been wrong many times before.

This report cites no specific people, companies, or entities to confirm the news, just "sources."

It's garbage, wrong, and designed to manipulate the stock. This is illegal and should be enforced, but it never will be.
[doublepost=1528480767][/doublepost]
What's not good is you believe this story is accurate after similar stories being proven wrong time and again.
[doublepost=1528480942][/doublepost]
It's much better when you take an average. There are plenty of analysts who predicted 40M units and terrible results for iPhone X. Those were all wrong.

There are a lot of correctly bullish AAPL analysts. It's the idiots like Nikkei and Tony S. who are spreading nonsense all the time.

To be honest, Japan has no pulse on how Apple is doing, never have...so they shouldn't be listened to, ever.

I totally agree this could be market manipulation, and it should result it prison time for the offenders. Apple has, in the past, legitimately, not been able to keep up with demand. Though Apple doesn’t release the numbers of iPhones sold, so we will never know, but the X didn’t sell as many as previous iPhones from years. The price was more than average people could stomach. It’s not like Apple did terrible, I see and know a lot of people that chose an 8, purely on price. I rarely see X’s out in the Wild, and I live in a pretty affluent area. I’m really hoping the rumored lower priced models is true. I think it will start the next super cycle and era for the iPhone.

Reactions: mejsric

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

This "smartphone peak" nonsense has been bandied about without any logic for years. It's basically an argument that relies on things being self evident (I.e., the phone is great now, how better can it possibly get?). The same could have been said after cavemen discovered fire.

2013 We've Reached Peak Smartphone
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/07/weve-peaked-smartphone/313243/

2015 Have we reached peak smartphone?
https://www.macworld.com/article/2892316/apple-phone/have-we-reached-peak-smartphone.html

Reactions: DCINKC

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I totally agree this could be market manipulation, and it should result it prison time for the offenders. Apple has, in the past, legitimately, not been able to keep up with demand. Though Apple doesn’t release the numbers of iPhones sold, so we will never know, but the X didn’t sell as many as previous iPhones from years. The price was more than average people could stomach. It’s not like Apple did terrible, I see and know a lot of people that chose an 8, purely on price. I rarely see X’s out in the Wild, and I live in a pretty affluent area. I’m really hoping the rumored lower priced models is true. I think it will start the next super cycle and era for the iPhone.

Obviously there is a smaller market for more expensive products since fewer people can afford them. Fiat sells 8,000 Ferraris a year, but nearly 200,000 Fiat Pandas. Comparing sales across product lines is meaningless if they are not comparable products.
[doublepost=1528491658][/doublepost]

Saying stupid things about a company is not illegal, nor is it market manipulation (but even if it was there is no crime called market manipulation). And in the US at least, we have something called the first amendment that protects the freedom of speech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.