Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've actually grown to love the remote of my 4th gen Apple TV. I hated it at first, but now I think it's excellent. The iOS app specifically for the 4th Gen is also much better than Apple's old "Remote" app.
I agree ... except for the damn symmetric design. It's really a pain, especially if you watch in a dark room on a projector. It would be simple to solve: Just make the lower (non-touch) part silver aluminum instead of piano black. That way you could easily see and feel which way is up.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
They are 400 bucks now. How low do you need them to go?????

400 bucks is the one with just one HDMI port, 7 seconds startup time, a singe-core cpu and a blurry picture quality. A decent 4K TV set is way more.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Gurman has really gotten into a habit of regurgitating the same info into these unnecessarily long articles during his time at Bloomberg. I guess they want it dumbed down for the general public, but it feels like he milks every bit of info over and over.

I mean, iPhone 8, cellular Watch and 4K TV have been rumoured for a while, and now he makes it sound like a whole new story.

give him a break man...his testes didn't descend until a just a couple of years ago. He'll learn to mature and stop bloviating soon enough.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I laugh when I see posts like this. If you streamed everything with any sort of regularity, simple math shows 350GB a month ... 4K\HDR content streams an average of 10GB per hour. That means 30 hours a month... aka one hour a day, would burn your 350gb without ever turning on your computer. 3 hours a day would surpass the cap without any other data use.

With that said, most companies allow you to buy packages of discount data packs on top of the 1TB cap. Like any new technology, if you want to be bleeding edge, you pay a premium. No different.
I am glad you got a good laugh. I didn't mean to insinuate that everything I watch is 4k/HDR. I watch some Twitch, Youtube, HBO GO, etc. My point was, having 4k in my life did not cause me to magically go over the cap instantly. I also don't spend a ton of time streaming anymore, getting married and moving will do that I suppose.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I'm still rockin 3 of those ancient devices in my house. Love em
I am still using my Apple TV Second Generation. I have cut the cord and have dedicated fiber optic up to the door internet provider. All I use is Netflix, Hulu and occasionally rent a movie through Apple. Its plugged into a 6 year-old fully functional TV.
Don't need to pay for anything newer. Saving money is not a crime.

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
I guess I need to buy 4k HDR TV before I get too excited about this. ;) Does 4k HDR even make a big difference compared to 1080p?

The 4K not so much, but the HDR really is outstanding in my opinion. It breathes new life even into older TV shows and movies like I've never experienced before. I love it!!

Reactions: WestonHarvey1

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Interesting difference of opinion. Since I have neither and haven't done a lot of research but from the little I know HDR provides a deeper colours and blacks while pretty self explanatory 4k a sharper picture. I'm guessing the distance you sit from the TV would probably decide which of the two will make the biggest difference overall?

A 65" 4k HDR OLED is definitely on my wish list but even when on sale for around $4500 Canadian still a bit too expensive for my liking. Unless it gets down to at least $3000 I'll probably wait till my 1080p plasma kicks the bucket.

I find the HDR color makes a VERY noticeable difference on quality source material. Greens, Reds and Blues just pop off the screen. I have an 8000 series Samsung LED, maybe the other users set is different. 4k is also a nice to have, the resolution is absolutely noticeable, but I would have a hard time suggesting someone replace a high end 1080 set with a 4k one, just to do it. If you're buying a new TV, absolutely get 4k/HDR, however.

Reactions: fulles2000

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Sounds amazing. Will be iTunes films look great on it? And my iTunes TV content?

Never heard of those services. Are they any good? To be serious though: I have a hunch they're locked down to only Apple devices which is actually why I know next to nothing about Apple's streaming services considering how they cripple so many of their products.

I have a Netflix subscription and I can access it from pretty much any device I want.

Last edited:

jonmannon

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
I'd really like PiP to be part of this update. I'd like to be able to go into settings or search for another show/movie to watch next without having to disrupt everything. Apple has built this into Mac OS and the iPad. I think it is AppleTV's turn. Of course I have other issues, but this bothers me every day.

thinkthis

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
1000 gig cap - 350gigs of normal use
4k uses 11.25 gigabytes per hour. So 57 hours of streaming a month. 3 TV's in my house, all streaming. That will be gone in 3 days.

It's just not viable

Totally agree. I have two kids and a wife who stream media every day. I do the same. We get within 1-5% of our 1TB comcast cap every single month and we only stream 1080p.

Reactions: dwsolberg

Grayfox691

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Just tossing it out there but 4K is not twice the resolution as mentioned in the article but rather four times the resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.