Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
The problem with 4K right now is that there really isn't much content that takes advantage of it. Most Hollywood movies these days are filmed and/or processed in 2K or less, so 4k releases are essentially up-conversions that often don't look much better (and sometimes worse) than standard Bluray. In fact, there's a good chance that your local movie theater only projects in 2K. Of the 4K films that I've seen, a small number of them I'd say are really noticeable improvements. Logan and The Revenant come to mind. In fact, I think The Revenant was shot in 8K.

Having said that, I'm still going to get a 4K Apple TV :D

Reactions: Cigsm

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Curious to see how this pans out now that ISP's are capping their data and charging extra.

I have Cox. They implemented a 1TB data cap but I can get another 500gb for the low low price of an extra $29.99 per month. I read Centurylink had done away with caps, so I contacted them to sign up. Guess what, in my area they have the same 1TB data cap. They would be happy to sell me more data for an extra cost.

I use 400gb to 700gb a month now without 4K. There is no way I could stream 4k content and stay under 1TB per month. Too bad. I wonder if this will affect the popularity of 4K devices?

Obviously there is no reason for me to buy a 4K Apple TV if I can't use it. At this point the only way I would buy one is if they improved the audio and supported more formats.

Reactions: Cigsm
Jun 28, 2017
I hate the way that MacRumours is full of ungrateful brats complaining all of the time. It's great news that Apple are launching this. ATV3 and ATV4 are the nicest looking of ALL streaming boxes / BluRay players / Sat boxes. If it's not for you, great get a plasticky Roku or a BluRay player but don't bitch like sad losers about this wonderful device. When Apple launch it, it will work well, 4K HDR streaming will probably be reliable with little or no buffering. They've taken their time because they are releasing a great, reliable device. Imagine the bitching from you if it was released 2 years ago, was half baked and didn't stream 4K h264 (at the time) well!!!
Please people, appreciate what you are getting or simply move on!!! So many sad brats on this forum that it truly ruins the Apple experience!

Reactions: Brenster

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Any news on the Amazon Prime Video app?

It irritates me every time they announce new products and features to much fanfare, but then we have to wait months for it to be available.

Funny thing is sometimes in the amount of time it take Apple to announce something new, to the time it's actually available, other manufactures, come up with a new idea, announce it, build it, and start selling their products before Apple's stuff even hits the shelves.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Too late, I already bought an Nvidia Shield TV a long time ago which I'm sure will still make the next Apple TV obsolete on the day it's released.

The Nvidia Shield TV uses a Tegra X1 with 3GB of RAM. Nvidia used the A8X as the comparison when it first came out, so I don't think it's going to be making anything obsolete in 2017.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I hate the way that MacRumours is full of ungrateful brats complaining all of the time. It's great news that Apple are launching this. ATV3 and ATV4 are the nicest looking of ALL streaming boxes / BluRay players / Sat boxes. If it's not for you, great get a plasticky Roku or a BluRay player but don't bitch like sad losers about this wonderful device. When Apple launch it, it will work well, 4K HDR streaming will probably be reliable with little or no buffering. They've taken their time because they are releasing a great, reliable device. Imagine the bitching from you if it was released 2 years ago, was half baked and didn't stream 4K h264 (at the time) well!!!
Please people, appreciate what you are getting or simply move on!!! So many sad brats on this forum that it truly ruins the Apple experience!

My complaint was about internet providers. I too am excited for a 4k Apple TV, but then my provider implemented data caps. Pretty much leaves me out at this point from buying ANY 4k box. Wonder if Apple has had any talks with providers about this issue.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Gurman has really gotten into a habit of regurgitating the same info into these unnecessarily long articles during his time at Bloomberg. I guess they want it dumbed down for the general public, but it feels like he milks every bit of info over and over.

I mean, iPhone 8, cellular Watch and 4K TV have been rumoured for a while, and now he makes it sound like a whole new story.
I get what you are saying - but to publish anything in Bloomberg they required 2-4 sources to confirm - so if they said product x is coming you can bet it will be released.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015

Nvidia released the Shield TV two years ago and it's still the best streaming device on the market and will more than likely be even with the next Apple TV.

Please don't make false accusations.

Sputman99

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017

apple_tv_diagonal-250x244.jpg
Apple will introduce a fifth-generation Apple TV with 4K video support at an event planned for September, reports Bloomberg. The device is said to feature a faster processor to support 4K streaming, which is twice the resolution of the 1080p streaming supported on the current fourth-generation Apple TV.

In addition to 4K support, which will only be available on a 4K television, the new set-top box will support High Dynamic Range (HDR) video for brighter, more accurate colors.

Apple is also said to be testing a new version of its TV app that is designed to better highlight live TV content, aggregating live shows from apps that offer live streaming, and it is establishing deals with content makers to provide 4K video.We've known Apple has had a new Apple TV with 4K support in the works for some time, and while there were hints that a launch was imminent, there was no confirmation that the device would be introduced in September prior to today.

The Apple TV was last updated in October of 2015, which is when the redesigned fourth-generation set-top box with Siri Remote and a full App Store was introduced.

Along with a new 4K Apple TV, we're also expecting to see a third-generation Apple Watch with LTE support and three new iPhones, including a radically redesigned 5.8-inch iPhone with an OLED display and facial recognition at Apple's September event.

Article Link: Apple to Debut Apple TV With 4K HDR Support at September Event
[doublepost=1503610642][/doublepost]Where's my Mac Mini Pro

Reactions: bopajuice

kruegdude

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
I've actually grown to love the remote of my 4th gen Apple TV. I hated it at first, but now I think it's excellent. The iOS app specifically for the 4th Gen is also much better than Apple's old "Remote" app.
I'm glad to hear that someone else likes the Apple TV Siri remote. I do too. As far as which side to use I bought their Loop strap and I always know which side is up :)

Reactions: varunsanthanam

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Curious to see how this pans out now that ISP's are capping their data and charging extra.

I have Cox. They implemented a 1TB data cap but I can get another 500gb for the low low price of an extra $29.99 per month. I read Centurylink had done away with caps, so I contacted them to sign up. Guess what, in my area they have the same 1TB data cap. They would be happy to sell me more data for an extra cost.

I use 400gb to 700gb a month now without 4K. There is no way I could stream 4k content and stay under 1TB per month. Too bad. I wonder if this will affect the popularity of 4K devices?

Obviously there is no reason for me to buy a 4K Apple TV if I can't use it. At this point the only way I would buy one is if they improved the audio and supported more formats.
Same situation here.
Cox said if I went fiber, there would be no cap.
Granted fiber costs twice as much as my current plan (150Mbps).

Century Link can't even get me 40Mbps service at my house, so I'm stuck with Cox and the 1TB cap for now.

BrendonButler

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
Wrong.

If you take the resolution of 1920x1080 and you multiply it by 2 (you know, TWICE) then you get 3840x2160. Because it is TWICE the resolution in each direction you get four times as many pixels. Twice the resolution, four times the pixels.
Looks like we have a lot of marketing folks here today.
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but 8,294,400 is 4x 2,073,600, correct?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I get what you are saying - but to publish anything in Bloomberg they required 2-4 sources to confirm - so if they said product x is coming you can bet it will be released.

I don’t deny that the product is coming. Someone like Gurman was rarely ever incorrect.

It’s just that the stories are almost all fluff these days.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Same situation here.
Cox said if I went fiber, there would be no cap.
Granted fiber costs twice as much as my current plan (150Mbps).

Century Link can't even get me 40Mbps service at my house, so I'm stuck with Cox and the 1TB cap for now.

I have the same Cox plan. CenturyLink in my area goes up to 140mbps, so it would be doable. To me this data cap thing is pure greed. One provider does it, they all do it.

I wonder if Apple and other 4k device makers realize how much of an issue that is for more and more people and how it could affect sales?

I would love to buy a new 4k AppleTV, but with data caps I will not be able to use it without having to pay more for internet.

Reactions: rjohnstone

glennQNYC

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
Do any of these people who are posting charts and claiming 4k only makes a difference within a certain distance actually own a 4k TV? I have two 55 inch 4k TVs, both of which I sit more than 8 feet away, and I can easily tell the difference.
If they owned a UHD display they'd agree. It's kind of a moot point when any new tv 50" or larger is going to be UHD these days.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Personally, I can't see any *noticeable* difference between an upscaled DVD and a BR, so 4K (for me) is more a marketing gimmick than a content quality improvement. The only reason I've bought BR titles is for the dramatically better sound. Streaming a movie, in HD quality, doesn't even provide DVD-quality sound, IMO. In short: none of these "improvements" mean a nit to me, so I'll happily keep my money in the bank, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.