Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
So am I the only one concerned that the npu in m3 is too weak compared to a17 pro?
Interesting, I’d have thought they’d be the same but yeah it’s 18 TOPS for M3 vs 35 TOPS for A17 pro (per Wikipedia), so like double. I wonder if iPadOS will lag behind iOS on AI features for a year? Or maybe they’ve been working on this for years and they’ll surprise us and everything back to M1/A14 will be supported haha 🤞🏻

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Tyrios

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2022
I have the M1 Pro, edit photos with it and would like more power …
BUT the faster M2 and M3 Chips get hotter and throttle… if they even make it thinner …
How can there be more power if the damn chips can’t get the heat off of them. Put in a cooling pad that spreads the heat more … The iPad Pro is a damn furnace that’s choking already … I want more power Apple not a thinner iPad

Maigrais

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
BUT the faster M2 and M3 Chips get hotter and throttle… if they even make it thinner …
How can there be more power if the damn chips can’t get the heat off of them. Put in a cooling pad that spreads the heat more … The iPad Pro is a damn furnace that’s choking already … I want more power Apple not a thinner iPad
That's a very good point. That's why my plan is to test them together in house M1 vs M3 and closely observe the quality of life improvements.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I gave up waiting. To be fair I have a price limit of what I want to spend on an ipad and every time I upgrade it edges up slightly. But I‘m not paying the new prices. So I just got the 4th gen ipad pro 11 as my iPad Pro 2018‘s battery had really deteriorated I was only getting about 2-3 hours screen on time and even at home it was a inconvenience to keep charging.
My battery on this model sucks now too. I’m charging it 2-3 times a day, and that’s after overnight charging. I hate replacing an entire unit just for a battery. And I REALLY hate spending extra doing it for the Apple gen-up premium price bump…

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
OpenAI was working on the backings of ChatGPT since December 2015 (~8 years) before it hit the world like a fast-moving train. Since then, other companies have jumped into the mayhem. Meanwhile Apple has taken their time to plan and develop it in a way that fits best with their long-term strategies. Nobody is rushing this, and you don't have to worry about that.
I believe they are.... everyone is rushing.. because AI has become the next big thing, that is selling products and services. Apple wants a bit of that pie, 100%.

When someone says, you don't have to worry about that. You know your concern is valid. I have a concern, not a worry. It is sensible to be concerned... otherwise we open ourselves up to anything.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
My battery on this model sucks now too. I’m charging it 2-3 times a day, and that’s after overnight charging. I hate replacing an entire unit just for a battery. And I REALLY hate spending extra doing it for the Apple gen-up premium price bump…
If it's backed up in iCloud, just time it so that it has minimal impact. Apples battery replacement program is great.

• Wow

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
You may need a Macbook Pro, yo. I see more posts about the iPad Pro being overpowered than underpowered

WKurtz

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2024
The OLED iPad Pro models also need "complex new manufacturing techniques,"
Of course, OLED is an unique and innovative technology…

The last few weeks have been challenging to Apple. Let’s see if there’s some real innovation coming this year.

iSteveo

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2023
I am upgrading from the 11” to 12.9” (hopefully 13”). I am old enough now to need the extra real estate. I am trying to hold out for the upgraded chip. Hoping that it has MagSafe charging (something like the MacBook Pro has), I like the way the connector magnetically connects. I’m hoping there is some gee whiz improvement to the rumored new magic keyboard.

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
It's the perfect way to sell a load of iPads... by restricting the new AI focus to the most recent iPads. I believe the performance gains in the ML aspect of the upcoming SoCs is about twice that of the last gen... thats significant.
Yes, that’s what concerns me. But as I say, because the Vision Pro has an M2 chip I’m hoping that means that Apple will include that chip in any advances going forward For a while. They wouldn’t want that $3,500 device to look bad..

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Helps me feel a little better about my Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra I purchased as a stop gap waiting on a new iPad Pro. The new iPad Pro might come out before they upgrade the Galaxy Tab again. Or it might not. Or it might. We can all be Gurman if we decide the most minute amount of accountability is not necessary.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
Betting they'll announce these at WWDC to pair with a total iPadOS remodel. It makes sense from a marketing perspective. Like "this is a brand new way to think of the iPad." / "Next gen iPad" ... or something.

Did I say "betting"? Sorry I meant to write "hoping".
Please hope that the mini is included too!

b99g51

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016

Apple will introduce new iPad Pro and iPad Air models in early May, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Gurman previously suggested the new iPads would come out in March, and then April, but the timeline has been pushed back once again.

iPad-Pro-OLED-Feature-2.jpg

Apple is working on updates to both the iPad Pro and iPad Air models. The iPad Pro models will get OLED display technology and the new M3 chips, while the iPad Air will come in the standard 10.9-inch size and a larger 12.9-inch size.

According to Gurman, Apple's suppliers are ramping up production of the new iPads at the current time. Apple initially planned to launch the iPads in March or early April, but is apparently working to "finish software for the new devices." The OLED iPad Pro models also need "complex new manufacturing techniques," which Gurman says has contributed to the delay.

Article Link: Apple to Launch New iPad Pro and iPad Air Models in May
Still there’s a hope from yet. I’ll wait a bit longer but not too long to hold that long awaited sucker in my hands. Software and OS in general is the greatest dilemma for the iPad Pro to date, that makes the iPad Pro look like a giant iPhone. With the competing hardware on board and lavish price tag, iPad Pro supersedes the capacity of most laptop and desktop computers. But The ridiculous mobile version of operating system is the one that puts the iPad Pro on the bottom of even the mediocre computers.

Platforms like MacRumors and others should constantly apply virtual pressure on Apple’s tailbone and make the Apple think vastly about its superstitious tablet with ridiculous operating system. Especially when iPad Pro is going to be the base computer platform for all computing needs, for the next 30-50 years To come. The OS of current iPad Pro is not enhanced enough to surf the WorldWideWeb. Most websites are requiring a full-functional browsers to access those sites. But if iPad Pro is going to be your preferred platform for your daily computing needs/demands, then you want to ensure, that for the price that you pay for iPad Pro can do lot more than just play Apple Music.

instead, you marginal reporters are emphasizing the things that even kids don’t want on their iPads. After you have succeeded with your demands for the imaginary iPad Pro to be, in the end what will your desired iPad Pro will do or can do for your daily computing needs? What will be the end results? Most of you are demanding a higher battery capacity, yet ending up using the power cord attached to it. Ain’t that something?
Think vastly, not diminutively!

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
It really doesnt matter... the current iPads are great for practically everyone...

The only reason there is so much fuss is because this is a rumour site... and the people on here are a tiny fraction of Apples customer base.

And I'm on here too... but increasingly I just get bored... there just doesnt seem to be the juicy rumours there used to be. It's all become a bit boring.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Is anyone keeping track of Gurman's track record? I could be misremembering but seems like he's had quite a lot of misses the past few years.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

Apple will introduce new iPad Pro and iPad Air models in early May, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Gurman previously suggested the new iPads would come out in March, and then April, but the timeline has been pushed back once again.

🤣🤨🤣😂🤣🤣 good old Gurman, next it’ll be June, July, August, 2026, 2227… the guy hasn’t got a clue, really hasn‘t, his track record proves that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.