Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Apple will add all iPhone 4 models, the late 2010 13-inch MacBook Air, third-generation AirPort Extreme, and mid 2009 AirPort Time Capsule to its vintage and obsolete products list starting October 31, according to Japanese website Mac Otakara.

So my 2010 MBA refurb that I got a short while back is thrown in the dumpster? Thanks Apple! At least Microsoft still shows it a little love with Windows 10.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Well my late 2010 Air is still kicking *knocks on aluminum*. For $1300, I'd say it was a great investment. Here's to another 6 years ;)

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Apple! Great at discontinuing products. How about actually making them? I'll go back to the Apple store when I'm in the market for a fancy looking watch band. Oh that's right. I don't wear a watch.

There's this thing called the iPhone... you might have heard of it, I think they still make those. The iPad as well. There are still plenty of Macs as well, hopefully they will update those but with the way Intel is going currently there isn't a huge reason to do so anyways.

sniffs

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
From an OS updating standpoint, does this mean the 2010 MBA will no longer get updates? Or just that they no longer will service the hardware?

If it no longer is receiving OS updates that's a pretty ****** stance for Apple to take. Imagine if Microsoft made Windows so you couldn't install it on a Core 2 Duo? The world would revolt.

I still use my 2010 MBA daily on the latest Sierra 10.12.1 Beta 4 and it works great.. I use dual monitors on it and it works for all I need..

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
OMG people relax already! Your Macs won't all of a sudden stop working on Halloween!
I still use a 2008 MBP and still hustles like a champ.

This topic is like a broken record whenever Apple announces that they are adding models to their vintage and obsolete list.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Ugh. Late 2010 air. That means I got s year or so left on a 2011 mbp? :(
Early or late 2011? Early 2011 was discontinued October 2011, so could go on the Vintage list as early as next month. Late 2011 was discontinued June 2012, so mid next year.

It's not like they're just pulling products out of a hat to add to the list, it's a defined term. "Vintage" means discontinued over 5 years, "Obsolete" means discontinued over 7. https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201624

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Aw my late 2010 MacBook Air works beautifully still. I'm on it right now. My 2010 Mac Pro too. Such great machines, well worth the investment.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
and still it's the best iPhone ever :)
and I hope next iPhone will change this :D

I've just ordered an iPhone SE to replace my trusty iPhone 4.

i gave my mom an iPhone 4. after a month, her icloud contacts got erased out of nowhere. searched online, there's a huge thread of this unresolved icloud bug. seems to happen every month in which i have to do an icloud restore. annoying.

i filed a radar but apple closed the radar and said to simply update to iOS 8 (which iPhone 4 cannot do). dick move by apple.

Sounds more like user error, or a cloud error, rather than being related specifically to the iPhone 4 model.

Not sure I get it. The iPhone 4 was cut out of the loop ages ago. It's stuck on iOS 7.1.2, released in June 2014. It was already obsoleted in all the ways that matter. So what's with the future tense? It's like issuing a death certificate 2+ years after the funeral.

I've been using an iPhone 4 up until this weekend, when my new SE arrives in my hands. It's continued to functional well in all the ways that matter. Apple has been supporting that device well, and it's only been the app developers choosing to require newer-generation models out of policy, not technical capability.

I'll continue to use my iPhone 4 as a non-phone device for some time.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
I'm currently rocking an iPhone 6 but still have my old iPhone 4 which is primarily a music jukebox now.

My pristine iPhone 4 (yeah, it has the antennae issue) is an iconic beauty. I still marvel at it, and its dinky 3.5" screen, today.

Asianpork

macrumors member
May 12, 2016
My 2008 MBP welcomes the new editions to the retired senior citizen center. No updates will call or come to visit and moving around is tough...all you have are your memories. Your death can be as dignified as you choose. iphone 4 was the hottest dame back in her day, so she'll be received with honors.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
My iPhone 4 was my first iPhone (that I owned - I've used almost every model to some extent) and still my favourite overall (unless we count the 4S just for the improved specs I guess). I never updated to iOS 6 on it because I didn't see anything I liked better about iOS 6, and then iOS 7 came out and everyone said the iPhone ran like a pig on it, plus I don't like the iOS 7-10 look in comparison anyway.

I use mine as an iPod now, forever staying on iOS 5.1.1, where the music app was so much nicer than the Apple Music monstrosity we have now. Every time I use it I wish iOS 7-10 would look and behave a little more like iOS 5 did.

Weirdly OS X 10.5 was my favourite too. Is it something about the number 5!? Looking forward to macOS 10.15!

On the Mac side, I certainly hope my 2010 cMP is supported for a while yet (being so similar to the 2012 model I expect it should be). The current Mac Pro is in such need of an update or price drop, or both. I just wish they'd go back to the cheese grater design with the next update (if we get one).

salmacis3

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Turns out I don't own a single Apple device that isn't obsolete. It's too late for me, I've already moved to a new ecosystem.

Dannyshing27

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2013
United Kingdom
Stay tuned.

tim-cook-611.jpg

I remember the day when if you wanted an image like that you would have to do the decent thing and make it in photoshop.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
From an OS updating standpoint, does this mean the 2010 MBA will no longer get updates? Or just that they no longer will service the hardware?

If it no longer is receiving OS updates that's a pretty ****** stance for Apple to take.
If you stay on an OS that was supported previously then you will still get patches for it until they obsolete that OS.

Unfortunately you won't be able to go to a current OS without workarounds. Apple has been doing this for some time and they publish a list of supported hardware for each release. e.g. Sierra is not listed for a 2009 Mac Pro - installation fails unless you apply a patch first.

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475
Apple said:
macOS Sierra requires one of the following Mac models and versions of OS X. It also requires at least 2GB of memory and 8.8GB of storage space.

• iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

Last edited:

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Apple products on the vintage and obsolete list are no longer eligible for hardware service, beyond a few exceptions. Apple defines vintage products as those that have not been manufactured for more than five years but less than seven years ago, while obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Each of the products added were released between 2009 and 2010.

IMO, you need to not only look at when a product was released, but when it was last sold as new by the company. Apple sold the iPhone 4 as new several years after it was initially released and wasn't stopped being sold as new until 2013. That means, someone who bought a brand new iPhone 4 in early September 2013 is finding that their iPhone isn't able to get any service just 3 years after being purchased. You can say all you want about it "obviously" not being state of the art, but to the average consumer, that just means that the phone wouldn't have the latest and greatest specs - not that it would stop being supported sooner.

In order to truly qualify for Apple's own definition of vintage model, Apple should be extending support for iPhone 4 until 2018.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I wonder what is going to happen to my 15" 2012 MBP (top model) in a couple years. It's still running as strong as ever and I've never had the need to want more speed or power from it. it does everything I need. It's the first year apple released SSD's on their MBP's and last year for discrete graphics for the entire line up. I think this MBP still has a lot of life in it so I hope apple supports it as long as the internals can handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.