Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
iPad mini is not a phone, and between 4.7 and 7.9 there are many mainstream phones and phablets, so we can't really generalize.

I think at this point it's all about iOS. Apple already started making steps to make it resolution independent. Developers will probably follow suit.

Out of interest, has anyone ever hacked iOS and put it on a non-Apple bit of hardware?

I always wondered whether iOS for iPhone on a 9.7" display automatically adjusted to look like an iPad, or whether Apple built a modified version of it for iPad.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
And then people will come here and complain that Apple's product line is too complex with too many SKUs. I'm sorry but I don't want Apple morphing in to Samsung.

Normally I would agree with this, but there is something like controlled scaling of the product portfolio. Apple does not have a complicated product lineup, with basically only two really different phone versions, with differences in color and ram not requiring different manufacturing and QC processes.

If you compare this with Nokia, which had at their heyday more than 100 different phones in production (I counted them once). It's impossible to assure product and manufacturing quality with such a diversity, not matter the scale of the company.

Considering the size that Apple has grown, I see no issues with the expansion of the phone product line with a few other sizes. The only problems that they could run into might be related to component availability and production capacity.

freefall722

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Can't we just tell all these supply chain sites that we know when they're just trying to cover themselves?

Product is delayed = product never existed and our assumptions were wrong.

Every time without fail this is true.

----------

Out of interest, has anyone ever hacked iOS and put it on a non-Apple bit of hardware?

I always wondered whether iOS for iPhone on a 9.7" display automatically adjusted to look like an iPad, or whether Apple built a modified version of it for iPad.

I want to guess auto adjusts - based on the iOS simulator and what happens when you put custom sizes in.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Can't we just tell all these supply chain sites that we know when they're just trying to cover themselves?

Product is delayed = product never existed and our assumptions were wrong.

Every time without fail this is true.

----------

I want to guess auto adjusts - based on the iOS simulator and what happens when you put custom sizes in.

That's hilarious. I was just about to post the same. This is without a doubt due to Apple's efforts to throw people off. And I bet they have a decent idea of which supplier partner is leaking what.

Who knows, we may still see two sizes. If there's only going to be one, it'll almost certainly be the 4.7, with perhaps the 5s or a 6c still selling as the 4" alternative.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Seems these rumors change from day to day…. coming one day and not the next… guess we won't know until it's official. :) Personally, the 5.5 is seems too big for me anyway.

----------

iPad mini is not a phone, and between 4.7 and 7.9 there are many mainstream phones and phablets, so we can't really generalize.

I think at this point it's all about iOS. Apple already started making steps to make it resolution independent. Developers will probably follow suit.

I don't know why they just don't add "phone" capabilities to the 4G iPads. Then the phablet deal is done.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I am absolutely shocked at how many delusional fanboys there are around here. The next iPhone will absolutely have a bigger screen. Has there been ANY smartphone released recently with a screen less than 4.5 inches?

It's especially annoying to listen to the constant banter about how "4 inches is the perfect size for a screen" coming from people that have never used anything other than an iPhone. Form a real opinion before acting like you know best.

Last, why is a 5.5" iPhone such a big problem for some people? It would still be SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than an iPad Mini, and as Samsung proved, there is a huge market for big phones like that. The Galaxy Note line has been a huge success, and for good reason; because contrary to what the fanboys say, it does make sense for a lot of people. I'm quite looking forward to a big iPhone, because the only flaw I see in the Galaxy Note 3 is the fact that it runs Android [Touchwiz]. Other than that it's quite possibly the best phone you can buy today.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I despise 5.5" phones, and think that 4.7" is the perfect size for me. BUT I think I would want to at least see & hold the 5.5" version before I made my decision. So even if it is delayed I hope they announce it at the same time. But either way, I will be camping out for the 4.7" (assuming that's the 1st phone announced) no matter what happens.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
4.8 would've been perfect. With seriousness, I like 4.7 size which is a good compromise between iPhone and Phablet phones. I have a gnote 2, while I like the bigger screen, it's bulkier to carry around in summer. Especially with Safari's 'Reader' feature, I think 4.7 will be perfect. September can't come soon enough. :D

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Am I the only one here who wants a 2.5-3" iphone mini? I don't want a fat brick in my pocket all day long, just something big enough to browse the web in an emergency. Just a touch bigger than the current ipod nano would be perfect. If i'm going to watch something or use the web a bunch i'll grab my ipad mini... :mad:

With over 7 Billion people on the Earth Im pretty sure this question can't be asked anymore.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I knew it was going to be 4.7" .. Just like the HTC One. Perfect size IMO. And it shouldn't go bigger unless it's released under a new name, iPhone Mega. :cool:

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
But if those loud and whiny blowhards buy the larger iPhone... and like it... then what's the problem?

I admire Steve Jobs and his many visions... but I think he's wrong about this one.

The problem is that I don't want Apple listening to its customers and giving them exactly what they want. I'm serious. Leave that crap to Google. Apple is here to give us what we didn't know we wanted or never even dreamed of.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
well at least we know it is not because they can not figure out how to get a white phone out, now it must just be delayed until Apple has time to get some ridiculously priced cases out on the market before all the other vendors have a chance to?

The one thing I hate about Apple is they come out with a phone and you have nothing to protect it with for 3 months because they do not give anyone a prototype to created cases with, I am so happy LifeProof is quick to come out with cases.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I am absolutely shocked at how many delusional fanboys there are around here. The next iPhone will absolutely have a bigger screen. Has there been ANY smartphone released recently with a screen less than 4.5 inches?

It's especially annoying to listen to the constant banter about how "4 inches is the perfect size for a screen" coming from people that have never used anything other than an iPhone. Form a real opinion before acting like you know best.

Last, why is a 5.5" iPhone such a big problem for some people? It would still be SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than an iPad Mini, and as Samsung proved, there is a huge market for big phones like that. The Galaxy Note line has been a huge success, and for good reason; because contrary to what the fanboys say, it does make sense for a lot of people. I'm quite looking forward to a big iPhone, because the only flaw I see in the Galaxy Note 3 is the fact that it runs Android [Touchwiz]. Other than that it's quite possibly the best phone you can buy today.

You don't have to use a 5.5" phone to know it won't fit comfortably in your pocket. No one has a problem using large phone screens except those of us who want to walk around with it (not feel like a brick slapping your thigh ever step), quickly pull it out of pocket (not fumble with a giant phone) and use it with one hand (anything larger than 4.5" usually requires two hands).

Oh and then there's the statement it makes when you pull out your giant phone in public. You look like a fool trying to compensate for something else in your pants that is disproportionately sized. Kind of like those people that take pics and video with giant tablets.

That being said, if Apple can make a 4.7" work with one thumb and stay slim, I'll try it.

bdhokie

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
USA
I'm not sure I want a 5.5" phone, but I'm baffled. How is it Apple is incapable of creating larger phones at this point in time? Are they that far behind their competition in technology and know-how? Or is Apple just producing so many more phones that the production challenges are greater?

Perhaps it's not so much technical barriers but rather they do not feel the need to release a larger display yet.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
There are pad mini and pad air which are much larger than 5.5. Why news always says difficulty making larger screen???

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The most annoying things to read on here are from the whiners claiming the 4" screen is perfect. Well, it's NOT! Using Safari in landscape mode is miserable. I also love how people so are so dumb and think 4.7" is phablet territory. What's sad, is most of them are guys. Wow! I just keep laughing and lauhging reading some of the comments in favor for the current form factor.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
4.5" would do me. Although 5" would be nice.

Really should have been 4.5" 2 years ago, but Apple got a pass because of the weight reduction. Can't not do it this time, or Samcopy might get a second look, because that's the only thing that Apple understands - loss of sales.

If there's no size change, there's only speed advantage, and my 5 is good enough for another 2 years until Apple finally gets the message - grandma can't see that nice photo I just took, and no amount of explaining how much better the Retina screen is helps her see her photo!!!
________

What everybody seems to be forgetting, is that it's time for a new external design, as well! Seems to be unquestioned that the 6 will look like the 5, when the 4 didn't look like the 3, and the 5 didn't look like the 4.

If Apple rumour control (yes, I believe they're all official leaks, to dampen expectations) stays focussed on calming the bigger screen nervousness, they can sneak through an external design refresh and still surprise everyone at the announcement.

I'll be happy if the screen actually makes it ≥4.5" and wouldn't whinge if the design didn't change -- but I do think it's time for a change. Kick the rounded corners for starters… so 1980s. Didn't the great man say, 'Don't do what I'd do', or something like that?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Normally I would agree with this, but there is something like controlled scaling of the product portfolio. Apple does not have a complicated product lineup, with basically only two really different phone versions, with differences in color and ram not requiring different manufacturing and QC processes.

If you compare this with Nokia, which had at their heyday more than 100 different phones in production (I counted them once). It's impossible to assure product and manufacturing quality with such a diversity, not matter the scale of the company.

Considering the size that Apple has grown, I see no issues with the expansion of the phone product line with a few other sizes. The only problems that they could run into might be related to component availability and production capacity.
Look at Apple's current product lines - you have two display sizes for Macs and iPads. That's what I think they should do with the iPhone. Keep the current size for those who want something smaller and increase the size to, say, 4.7" for those who want something bigger. To me 4.5" - 4.7" would be the sweet spot. And presumably we will be seeing completely new hardware this year (wearables, fanless MacBook etc.) in addition to their normal updates. Then you could see Apple's product line getting quite complicated. I think Apple does better when they have a simplified product line. I think they can find an optimal larger screen size for iPhone that will satisfy the majority who want a larger screen.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Am I the only one here who wants a 2.5-3" iphone mini? I don't want a fat brick in my pocket all day long, just something big enough to browse the web in an emergency. Just a touch bigger than the current ipod nano would be perfect. If i'm going to watch something or use the web a bunch i'll grab my ipad mini... :mad:

Oh the irony. Now that the market has acclimated to these bigger mobile phones, I occasionally get people "oohing" and "aahing" at my "new, smaller" phone...my iPhone 4S. "Is that the new iPhone? I really like the smaller size."

:D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The most annoying things to read on here are from the whiners claiming the 4" screen is perfect. Well, it's NOT! Using Safari in landscape mode is miserable. I also love how people so are so dumb and think 4.7" is phablet territory. What's sad, is most of them are guys. Wow! I just keep laughing and lauhging reading some of the comments in favor for the current form factor.

Not any more annoying than posts like this, calling people dumb if they don't agree with your preference.

----------

Apple finally admits that they do not have the know-how nor the technology to make a 5.5 inch screen phone. Maybe they should spend the time hiring away from Samsung and HTC. Those two advanced companies can show Apple a thing or two.:mad:

And Apple admitted this when exactly? :confused:

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
This is good news. The iPhone screen needs to be the same size as the average wiener for optimal satisfaction (hard, not hanging). Size does matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.