Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M4rcs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
leeds
Apple will have bad year in Europe. Increasing interest rates push up mortgage payments and electricity prices are sky high with at least five fold increase.

Even though the price would have remained the same many people will most likely have to cut spending. With the increased price I feel that it is over the pain point for many of those who don’t get it from their work.
totally agree! most people don't have the disposable income to justify such a high price for a phone

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
I actually have to say that I am quite disappointed this year. The Purple colour and the rumoured Astrophotography features were the two things I was looking forward to the most in this year’s release.

The new purple color looks awful. I was really hoping for a rich dark purple color but instead we got this bronze looking thing with a shade of Lila. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The only real new camera upgrades is that of the main camera with the 48MP lens, the action video feature, new front camera and the low light scenario improvements. That’s it, no Astrophotography features whatsoever. Only slight and incremental Improvements with no new real added features.

The new dynamic island and its features is what impressed me the most in this announcement, got positively surprised here, good job on that one Apple. Got to give credit where its due.

I was looking to upgrade from my iPhone 12 Pro Max because of battery life and aggressive brightness dimming I have been experiencing, which is pretty correlated. But now after having seen all Apple has to offer this year in terms of their mobile devices, I dont even know to be honest. Not very eager to upgrade this year, especially given what we’ve got.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009

Apple today announced the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, featuring the "Dynamic Island" to surface alerts and activity in a new way, a brighter display with always-on functionality, the A16 Bionic chip, a more advanced camera system, new color options, and more.

iphone-14-pro.jpg

The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max offer the "Dynamic Island" thanks to a redesigned TrueDepth camera array and software integrations across the system. An improved Super Retina XDR display is brighter and features always-on functionality for the first time.

The A16 chip is the first Apple chip built on a 4nm process, featuring 16 billion transistors. The A16 supports the Photonic Engine to improve low-light performance across all of the device's cameras, as well as Action Mode to stabilize video.

The rear camera system features a 48-megapixel quad-pixel camera with a 65 percent larger sensor. The 48-megapixel wide camera also delivers a 2x telephoto view. The Ultra Wide camera is also improved. A new adaptive rear flash features nine LEDs and is up to twice as bright with up to three times better uniformity.

The iPhone 14 Pro also features an improved front-facing camera with autofocus, Crash Detection, and Emergency SOS using satellite connectivity.

The iPhone 14 Pro continues to deliver "all-day battery life." The new devices are available in new color options, including Space Black and Deep Purple, alongside Silver and Gold.

The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max continue to be priced at $999 and $1,099, respectively. Pre-orders begin on Friday, September 9, with availability beginning Friday, September 16.

More to follow...

Article Link: Apple Unveils iPhone 14 Pro With Dynamic Island, Always-On Display, 48MP Camera, and More
I know there are limits to what is possible within the constraints of physical size of a phone and antenna and I'm thankful for the added satellite SOS capability but it is a shame that it has to have line of sight to communicate. I know it is better than nothing and will be useful in many cases but there are many, many situations where this requirement will render it useless. Such as hiking / biking in the woods, crashing a car off a road into the woods, etc. Maybe there will be improvements as more satellites are launched and the tech improves.

Reactions: jmpstar

rme

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Apple will have bad year in Europe. Increasing interest rates push up mortgage payments and electricity prices are sky high with at least five fold increase.

Even though the price would have remained the same many people will most likely have to cut spending. With the increased price I feel that it is over the pain point for many of those who don’t get it from their work.
The expectation is that this only going to get worse the coming years in the EU. I've been telling people in the EU to buy the 13 pro.

Reactions: Samut

Orizaba

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I noticed the colors include Space Black instead of Space Grey, however it doesn't look much darker on the website...

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wow 2000 nits outdoor. Must be useful, except that my iPhone 13 Pro keeps overheating after 5 minutes direct sunlight (northern Europe , not Dubai) and turns down the brightness with 90%. They must be joking...
Exactly I want to see how long these 2k can resist the sun before the screen going uselessly dark like all the others. At least the temps are getting lower; although, that also means we go nowhere that we need a bright screen in the sun

Reactions: klasma

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
Love the new 14 Pro Max, but after being wowed by the design of the new Apple Watch Ultra, I was secretly hoping that they’d introduce an “iPhone Ultra” with the same “rugged” design. I think it would be a hit!

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I did get what I wanted/speculated with the price increase being a test balloon or incorrect rumor. Didn't see any reason for them to let go of $999 at this time.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
No US price increase is pretty amazing. I thought for sure they would do that.

On the other hand there is a bigger gap than ever between the Pro and non-Pro so in effect a defacto price increase.

Very familiar with this tactic on the Mac. They made it so you're sort of a fool if you don't pay $200 more to get the Pro model now.

Also amazing was the $200 price drop on the 13 no? Wasn't it $100 drop for last year's model before?
Plus the pulled the BS I called weeks ago to delay the regular Plus so people will just cough up the dough for Pro Max.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I did get what I wanted/speculated with the price increase being a test balloon or incorrect rumor. Didn't see any reason for them to let go of $999 at this time.

The prices did go up in every country except America. Its going to make people evaluate their upgrades I think. Not good at all and so many rumours suggested it would go up that I thought it might not.

Reactions: klasma and Samut

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I don’t know, the pill looks absolutely annoying for watching movies or anything else full screen with the screen held horizontally. Way worse than the notch.
Personally don't see how this would be much more annoying than the notch it might be a bit lower but it's smaller. I don't watch a lot of video on my phone so not much of a concern for me, but if you do then an Android phone probably provides the best experience for that technically vs and iphone with a notch or pill.

Clarke_G

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2020
The prices did go up in every country except America. Its going to make people evaluate their upgrades I think. Not good at all and so many rumours suggested it would go up that I thought it might not.
The sad thing is not that they got up, but that they will NEVER go back down again in the EU, no matter what happens from now on. This isn't temporary. It's a new standard price. That's hard to swallow.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
This is the one to buy. Don’t care for that purple, I thought it would be a richer color. Silver it is, for me.
What? Gengar doesn't want a purple phone? Blasphemy! ;)

Kinda interested in what the new black looks like in real life. Probably won't upgrade till at least next year so hoping for a better colour next year.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The sad thing is not that they got up, but that they will NEVER go back down again in the EU, no matter what happens from now on. This isn't temporary. It's a new standard price. That's hard to swallow.
Same as US for everything but gas. Gas is two cents higher than before the spike, but nothing else follows it down. I'd rather have iPhones rise and groceries and other needs drop :(

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Yeah exactly. I think the iPhone 12 will be the last launch iPhone I will buy and it’ll from now on be a case of buying last years model to justify even upgrading at all. Hopefully it impacts sales here so much that that does something to make them realise. I doubt it though.

Reactions: klasma

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Same as US for everything but gas. Gas is two cents higher than before the spike, but nothing else follows it down. I'd rather have iPhones rise and groceries and other needs drop :(

The mad thing is an iPhone 14 is nearly the cost of 2 months gas and electricity in the UK now. Heating our homes is now a luxury product and I’d laugh if it wasn’t so tragic lol.

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
The Gold color seems to be new too, much shinier and brighter than all of the previous ones, or is it the renders 🤔

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.