Apple Updates AirPods Pro Firmware to Version 2D27

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Hi all,

Iv had AirPod pros for about a week now. Very impressed so far. However, I’m not quite sure if the ANC working properly. They don’t seem to entirely block out sound, but I’m not sure what level of suppression to expect as Iv never had headphones with ANC before. Also, every now and again it sounds like they are almost amplifying sound. Especially when listening to something quiet. For example, it sounds like they pick up footsteps from upstairs and I can hear/feel those sounds in my ear. I’ve checked and I’m not accidentally using transparency mode...
Any thoughts?

PruneTracy

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
San Francisco, CA
did they make you pay? They told me that it would cost me $100 to replace them

This is odd- was it a temporary charge as a "hold" to ensure you shipped the faulty ones back? I did a replacement in April/May (purchased in Jan of Feb). They put a CC hold of $120(ish) and refunded it when I sent the faulty one back. They should be warrantied, regardless.

macpanzer

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
There is definitely more bass, needs a bit more listening to determine whether they tuned it up too much. On the previous firmware it was too weak.

Ear tip test still fails no matter the tips, used to pass 100% when I bought them with medium tips and also most of the time with smalls.

Reactions: Luke10702

j3x

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
I have the crackling sound in the left ear. The moment you walk or cycling, you hear this sound almost non stop.
Hope this firmware fixes the issue otherwise it's time to visit the Apple Store.

Edit: updated to 2D27 and the crackling sound is still.
Contact Apple support and ask for a replacement for that AirPod. This happens every couple of months for me, it’s the hardware 9/10 it feels like and not the software. However, when it’s “Off” it stops the crackling/static noises

misha24

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
There is definitely more bass, needs a bit more listening to determine whether they tuned it up too much. On the previous firmware it was too weak.

Ear tip test still fails no matter the tips, used to pass 100% when I bought them with medium tips and also most of the time with smalls.

same here definitely more bass. Before update I played a nice EDM on Spotify with lots of bass. Then after update much better. Also ANC has that suction feeling. Still doesn’t drown out my 12 year old screaming while playing.

Reactions: eboychik

Jasonstevens

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
For anyone who’s had the crackling and popping issue there’s a really helpful write up about it I found on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/airpods/comments/g7mvu2
if any of you paid for yours to be repaired you’re entitled to a full refund for your repair costs. At this point all AirPod pros are available for a full refund if you want it.

the ANC initially was great but it was causing speaker and microphone damage which has been causing the popping. Now that Apple have lowered the quality of the ANC to not burst the speakers the device is now significantly altered since release and are eligible for a refund if you feel you would not have purchased these given the quality of the ANC currently

Reactions: reggoboy

Da-Aaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Apple is adding this feature, allowing you to decide when you update. And it will remind you that there is an update available every hour, announcing over your music. Kind of like the iOS model of updating.
[automerge]1592946347[/automerge]

It’ll probably give people vertigo and cause them to vomit.

source?

edit: nevermind. I didn’t read past the first line til right now

Da-Aaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
in iOS 14 (and I think iOS 13):

You can check your AirPods Pro firmware by following these steps:

Go to Bluetooth
With AirPods Pro connected tap the i
look under About

simple

It’s new in iOS 14 but I haven’t seen the site report on it yet. Perhaps they don’t know about it yet.

Attachments

• DBEF042B-C165-4D0D-A0D0-475675266F61.jpeg
    DBEF042B-C165-4D0D-A0D0-475675266F61.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 123

MrMojo1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
New England
How the Dafudg does the update work?

Just read about this NOW!

Checked... iPhone...

Settings... About...

APP...

Firmware 2D27!

How do hell did it update? WHEN did it update?

Will now have to test the APPs to see if I can hear any differences!

Put in a 'manual update' feature for the APPs!

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Can’t get these to update.. anyone on iOS 14 successfully update?
yep I did. Sounds great, works great. ANC still fabulous. One thing I did notice is that the phone showed as the 2D15. I forgot device and re-paired, then the update properly showed. That may have been a minor bug with early release of iOS 14 (I don't know for sure)
[automerge]1592957212[/automerge]
How the Dafudg does the update work?

Just read about this NOW!

Checked... iPhone...

Settings... About...

APP...

Firmware 2D27!

How do hell did it update? WHEN did it update?

Will now have to test the APPs to see if I can hear any differences!

FU Apple!

Put in a 'manual update' feature for the APPs!
Works great HU haters. Seriously, why all the hateful vibe for something so easy and benign?
[automerge]1592957375[/automerge]
For anyone who’s had the crackling and popping issue there’s a really helpful write up about it I found on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/airpods/comments/g7mvu2
if any of you paid for yours to be repaired you’re entitled to a full refund for your repair costs. At this point all AirPod pros are available for a full refund if you want it.

the ANC initially was great but it was causing speaker and microphone damage which has been causing the popping. Now that Apple have lowered the quality of the ANC to not burst the speakers the device is now significantly altered since release and are eligible for a refund if you feel you would not have purchased these given the quality of the ANC currently
Sounds like you just made that up. Mine work great, no popping (except on Spotify, and that's because they require you to stream compressed, decompress and then recompress as AAC) and some really old AAC files. Other than that best pairing, least interference, best sounding earphones ever

• Disagree
Reactions: Johnny907

Banks73

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Sound quality for me has degraded since last FW.
I feel like I am listening to some cheap headsets.
I cleaned and replaced the tips eventually but still the same.
Hopefully this update will fix that.

Apple today released a new firmware update for the AirPods Pro, upgrading the existing 2D15 firmware to 2D27.

No details are available on what's included in the refreshed firmware at this time, but there have been ongoing complaints from AirPods Pro users about issues with Active Noise Cancellation and crackling or popping sounds.

Apple is also adding a new spatial audio feature to the AirPods Pro in iOS 14, so there's a chance the firmware update is related to that new option. Spatial audio essentially provides surround sound using advanced motion tracking and device location techniques.

There's no clear cut way to upgrade the firmware of the AirPods Pro, with the new firmware installed over-the-air while the AirPods are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ to an iPhone or an iPad should force the update after a short period of time.

You can check your AirPods Pro firmware by following these steps:
  • Make sure the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌AirPods‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
It's been over a month since Apple released the 2D15 firmware, and there were mixed reports about whether that update helped with some of the issues that people have been experiencing.

‌AirPods Pro‌ firmware updates often include performance improvements, bug fixes, and feature tweaks, but we may not find out what's new for some time as Apple does not provide any kind of release notes for ‌‌AirPods‌ updates.

Article Link: Apple Updates AirPods Pro Firmware to Version 2D27
they sound great! Listen to this

• Love
Reactions: Blowback

Jasonstevens

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
I'm updated.

Any good source links to test the surround sound??

do we know if this feature is actually available yet? I don’t remember apple mentioning this would be out for testing during the AirPods segment. I figured when the feature was being pushed we would see an option for it in the AirPods settings or a pop up about how to use it. I feel like if apple doesn’t mention this feature anywhere before implementing it in a firmware update people would freak out thinking they’re broken or they’re going crazy or something 😂

Reactions: iL15hts

mihike

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
Hi all,

Iv had AirPod pros for about a week now. Very impressed so far. However, I’m not quite sure if the ANC working properly. They don’t seem to entirely block out sound, but I’m not sure what level of suppression to expect as Iv never had headphones with ANC before. Also, every now and again it sounds like they are almost amplifying sound. Especially when listening to something quiet. For example, it sounds like they pick up footsteps from upstairs and I can hear/feel those sounds in my ear. I’ve checked and I’m not accidentally using transparency mode...
Any thoughts?

ANC is mild on these (at least in what I believe is most people's opinion), so my guess would be that they are not broken. But there is some level of ANC... So, find an area with some moderate background noise, such as light traffic or wind blowing through trees. Put them in your ears, and try turning ANC on and off in the Control Panel (Bluetooth, click on the info next to your Air Pods Pro). The difference should be noticeable, just not dramatic like, well, every other ANC device.

I've frequently thought mine weren't working and had to check, but they always have been. Just not well.

Reactions: jon1987

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
AirPods Pro user for ~ 1 month now. Meh. For $220, I just don't think they are that great. 4 hour battery life or less. Constantly having issues with them not connecting properly (only one ear).

Noise cancelling does a little bit but not a ton.

Kind of feel I should have just picked up a generic $25-$50 set of whatever.

tobybrut

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
I have the crackling sound in the left ear. The moment you walk or cycling, you hear this sound almost non stop.
Hope this firmware fixes the issue otherwise it's time to visit the Apple Store.

Edit: updated to 2D27 and the crackling sound is still.
Try rubbing it with a non-static cloth. I had the same problem in my left AirPods Pro. I rubbed a cloth on all the black grills vigorously (not gentle at all), took off the eartip, cleaned that and the grill underneath that, and I don't seem to have the problem anymore. The firmware was still 2D15, so the firmware version made no difference.

I would have described it as crackling, but it felt like tiny electrical shocks on the inside of my ear, making it very uncomfortable. I was afraid I had to take it in, but cleaning it a few times helped a lot. I had no issues whatsoever with the right AirPods Pro.

Blowback

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2018
VA
they sound great! Listen to this
Awesome ! Thanks for posting this...if in the fall the spatial effects are anywhere near these then Apple will have even more of a hit on their hands with Air Pods Pro. That 'Haircut' was trippy....wish I had listened BEFORE updating the Air Pods.

Reactions: simon3163
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.