Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I'm not going to upgrade until I find out what the 8 actually has. I have the 4 so so probably yes, but will wait until the announcement.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m going for the S7, if the S8, don’t have a temperature sensor. Other than that there’s no difference to me. I might as well save some money along with the way if I could.

Reactions: JesusSaves

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I guess Apple should adopt a once-every-two-year upgrades for their watch. I’m sure most of us wouldn’t complain if they did that. The original AW never got an upgrade until 2016.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Most of the time we don’t need a device to tell us if we are feeling feverish or not. A qualitative approach doesn’t make sense, in my opinion.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
According to Gurman, the S8 chip will feature the same specifications as the S6 and S7 chips. This means that the chip is unlikely to deliver significant performance or efficiency improvements as the ‌Apple Watch Series 7‌'s chip.

If this is the case (unfortunate), why on earth make a new chip instead of re-using the S7? I don't think processing speed is a huge issue these days, but more battery life is never a bad thing.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
It may not look pretty, but gets the job done. Obviously not for everyone.
Again, making it look good wouldn’t have impacted battery life.

I don’t think it’s intended for anyone. Might as well just use your phone if checking the time on your watch takes two hands and looks that bad.

Edit to add: The current power saver mode just turns your watch non functional 10% earlier than it needs to as far as I’m concerned. Although I understand it’s finally changing this time around. Looking forward to that

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
Again, making it look good wouldn’t have impacted battery life.

I don’t think it’s intended for anyone. Might as well just use your phone if checking the time on your watch takes two hands and looks that bad.
Fair enough, obviously the feature is not intended for you. Also if your phone isn't available (say across the room or on a charger out of reach) it does work. The entire point of low power mode is to extend the battery life as long as possible. using more pixels to show the time to make it "look pretty" is probably not Apple's goal. I'm sure they did the R&D for it and have their reasons.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have a Series 4 and am perfectly happy with it. I won’t upgrade until a major new feature like blood pressure or blood glucose sensoring arrives and those are probably a few years away.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
This is one of the worst Apple product upgrades ever. Why even release a new Apple Watch then?

Unless you have an AW4 or older, you really should consider skipping another year, if you can.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Blood sugar level would be the real deal here. Otherwise I keep my stainless steel watch 6. Body temperature is not that useful.

Fast charging on the 7 was worthwhile.

People here always posting why they wont buy the latest model - what a world. How does apple keep selling more and more each year I wonder. Lol.

There’s something for everybody - we all realize that.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This is one of the worst Apple product upgrades ever. Why even release a new Apple Watch then?

Unless you have an AW4 or older, you really should consider skipping another year, if you can.

Why? To save your money? Is that the reason? thrift pride stuff gets boring

precogincog

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
I have a Series 3. I love the notifications. I just want a 3 week battery life and no new features.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple updates their devices every year, but consumers generally shouldn’t.

If you have the money then why not upgrade? It’s a no brainer unless it’s affecting your financial goals so a lot of this discussion amounts to talking about thrift - that’s how it looks to me

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I have a Series 3. I love the notifications. I just want a 3 week battery life and no new features.

Fast charging feature helps. Sh*t, shower, and shave, and fast charging is done.

Most people can handle that I think

Yer missing out rocking that antique

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

Waterproof? Fast charging. Always on display? O2 saturation? ECG? Gps? Cellular? Don’t want none of that?. Lol.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I’ve had my Series 3 for almost 5 years now. Still going strong!!

I may buy an S7 in a few days. In Australia, I’m expecting Apple to introduce a price hike when the S8 is released, and for Apple to discontinue the S7. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I can pray that another seller will sell me an S7 at a steep discount, but I likely won’t get the band that I want.

Most of the time we don’t need a device to tell us if we are feeling feverish or not. A qualitative approach doesn’t make sense, in my opinion.
I said the same thing about sleep tracking, unless we’re tracking snoring patterns or sleep apnea. 🤷🏻‍♂️

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
In the 7 years the Apple Watch has existed there has never been a legitimate reason to upgrade if that person has the previous years watch. People do it because they want to usually.

I’ve had my S4 for almost 4 years now and am finally ready to upgrade it. I could hold onto it for another year, but the battery is really bad. I can do one 2 hour workout and hit under 50% before 2pm. I have to carry a charger with me to charge before it dies around 5pm.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not sure exactly how people are using their Apple Watch, but it's purely for notifications for me personally. A pro variant adds nothing to the experience. A massive jump in battery would be the single biggest addition, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.