Apple Will Replace the Battery in Your iPhone 6 or Later Even if It Passes a Genius Bar Diagnostic Test

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 1k9 macrumors member

Anybody know if the slow down applies to iPad Air?

2. MN7119 macrumors 6502

My wife's iPhone 6 has been draining battery like crazy. It stays in the charger all night long and it shows 100% in the morning. She drives 20 minutes to work and without even using it it gets down to 30% by the time she gets to her office. She took it to Apple 2 weeks ago and the Genius said the battery was good at 85% of its life. :( Well, today she called the store to get an appointment to replace it after the news she can get it replaced for $29. First appointment available is for next week as she was told everyone is calling in to get a new battery.

Question: if you have a 1 or 2 year old phone that has no battery issues, should you get a new one for $29 just to have a new battery?

3. kdarling, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    We do NOT know exactly how it works yet. But Apple will have to give more details during any trials.

This is not about a battery “going bad”. That’s handwaving. It’s about when and why current based throttling is enabled.

Google doesn’t have to say anything. Much of Android is Open Source, after all. Yes, Android phones throttle when necessary, but as the major makers have stated, they do not enable current based throttling because of battery age like Apple does.

They also don’t enable that throttle above charge levels of 10-40% (depending on make), also apparently unlike Apple.

I don’t automatically think Apple upper management was conspiring, but I do wonder who at a lower level decided this way was necessary... and why. And then why upper management backs it. We’re probably missing some critical piece of iDevice specific info.

4. cmaier macrumors G4

But probably not to us.

5. tooloud10 macrumors 6502

Ha, this is totally true and the exact method that I use. You have to be polite but act mildly dumb about how things work while throwing out just enough jargon that they think you might know what you're talking about--kinda 'country bumpkin'-ish, but one that is reasonably familiar with smartphones.

They'll give you whatever you want if they feel a bit sorry for you but think there's a chance you'll know when they're trying to screw you. I can't believe anyone gets aggressive with retail people any more--I'm in sales and I just shut down and go completely by the book when anyone gets super mad like that.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

if you choose to upgrade instead of seeking support, and it sounds like you did, then that's on you not Apple.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I would say no. This brief demo does not indicate whether or not this issue is iOS 11 related or some other bug or do to this battery throttling. I have had similar sluggishness on my iPhone 6 Plus, but I haven’t really suffered from the battery throttling. As I indicated earlier my performance has improved with subsequent iOS 11 update. I really think the problem is with iOS 11 in this battery throttling issue is just a red herring. I’m not saying that makes it any better, because it’s still apples problem.

I repeat, turning on Low Power Mode significantly ramps down my processing speed, but doesn’t really have a noticeable effect on lag through the system. I would suspect similar behavior from this battery throttling issue

8. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

It’s funny you actually believe they will have any big financial impact as a result and that they’ll fire the outstanding Tim Cook.

Unless this is a troll account, I can’t even take you seriously. If it is, well done.

9. Altis macrumors 68030

No.

First, Apple throttles the CPU well above the 80% that Apple still considers the battery "Healthy" and won't replace.

Second, Apple didn't disclose any of the throttling based on battery information to the user or even Apple techs. So even if they took it in and said it performs poorly, they'll have said it's fine and there's nothing that can be done.

10. rootee macrumors regular

rootee

so is this post -- seems like anyone with an opinion you disagree with is whining

11. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I stand behind everything I post. Not a troll account at all. Apple will lose multiple billions of dollars and the shareholders will panic and Tim Cook will be let go for his mishandling of it all. You will see.

12. Makayla, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

Makayla macrumors regular

Makayla

How did I miss this thread? This is good news. I hope it applies to 8 and 8 plus.

From a consumer's point of view one the most disconcerting details of the whole throttle gate was people reported being refused batteries replacement even if they were willing to pay.

13. MH01 Suspended

MH01

It's a benchmarking tool..... maybe by the end of 2018, you might realise geekbench has nothing to do with his throttling being a really bad decision by Apple , and it was just a tool to prove the throttling existed. One does not have to use geekbench to have throttling..... what you are trying to prove is ridiculous, that if you don't run something like geekbench , this throttling is a non issue.

I've already had an exchange with the developer who you are quoting, and you are ignoring our follow up conversation. Stop the pathetic cherry picking of info on these forums while ignoring the facts.

Everyone one of just posts just boils down to ...battery....EOL.... 20%..... geekbench bad....

Deflect all you want - no **** people do not run thier iPhone under geekbench conditions..... Apple is throttling your phones. And drop the 20% EOL , cause frankly you or anyone else does not know the exact conditions under which Apple has written the software to throttle. It's all assumptions right now, and the amount of links you have added to your threads that are not relevant , in understanding the actual issue, I would suggest you actually sit down and start with the basics of how CPUs draw power, how batteries supply power and how a benching program works . Invest less time just spamming the Same EOL, 20% message post after post . This Is a great opportunity to learn something .... my 2 cents worth
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    Nope. Those are not covered.

14. Makayla macrumors regular

Makayla

:confused::(:(
    Darn! :(

15. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

Seemed you missed my point, neither do I, that is I am here because I own Apple products.

16. don pianta macrumors regular

What you’re talking about is considered physical damage. If the liquid contact indicators (LCI) on the phone have been tripped there are NO repairs that can be done. There is a chance that the liquid that was inside the phone may have caused internal damage. A battery replacement may fail if there is internal liquid damage. As for the “scratches” you mentioned... Apple will perform a repair on a phone as long as the phone turns on, there is no liquid damage, the rear camera glass is not cracked and the casing of the phone is not bent. If you had a cracked display they would have been able to first replace the screen and then fixed the battery (all in the same repair- the screen needs to be removed to replace the battery. If the screen is cracked, removing it will cause more damage and may leave it in an unusable state post-repair. Therefore all repairs must have a functioning screen or Apple will offer to replace the screen as well).

17. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Agreed. I don't mind the throttling, I do mind though being told that I cannot replace a battery in a device I own. This to me really does help apple denying pushing people to upgrade.

18. michalrock macrumors newbie

michalrock

apple has made official statement for this or it is just a fake. It will replace battery for all country iphone or ipad or just usa. what about canada and uk iphone ipad.

19. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

True. Yet we’re still plagued with duplicate messages received from android users into iMessage.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's worldwide. There's a link to this message and apology on the Apple UK homepage. The same statement is also on the Canadian site.

21. MH01, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

MH01 Suspended

MH01

Well said, and this is a very similar situation in the EU. I suspect Apple knows that they have a huge issue , that could turn into one of the biggest product claims of all time......

Bad year for Apple and Intel . Going to take a long time to build up the good will again.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    It's advertising, of course it's deceptive and lieing , it's just a question of how much :p

Unless you actually believe in magic..... otherwise one can can come to a conclusion that apple's pushes the boundaries when it comes to ads ;)

22. tresmith macrumors 6502

With my previous two iPhones, whether I had cause to complain or not, I would go into the Apple store a week or two before the warranty was up and complain about "performance and battery issues". And every time they would just swap my phone out and give me a "fresh" phone (most likely a refurbished phone with new battery).

I thought I was being a jerk for using the warranty to get a new phone but this latest revelation proved me right in what I was doing.

I bought the SE last year and it's the first time I didn't go back and try to get a new phone with a new battery under warranty and boy do I regret it.:(

23. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

But the general condition is definitely known: large peaks/valleys in power draw relative to voltage remaining.
    That is what iOS is now programmed to monitor the system for and smooth out if it occurs.

Is it possible to know every possible combination of functions relative to voltage that might trigger that type of behavior? No. But you can say what the most likely battery state is required to trigger it, and that's the info that Apple has provided: old battery (EOL), low charge battery (voltage drops below nominal), or cold battery. In all those situations, the voltage supply isn't going to be as predictable, thus the significantly increased likelihood of the battery not being able to supply the current the CPU needs.

And here are the "basics" of CPU power draw in combination with lithium ion batteries...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18...k-and-how-apple-manages-performance-over-time

24. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I don’t know, that’s a good question.

I’ve been on an iPhone X for the last few weeks. I just put the sim back in my 7 Plus yesterday. I just woke up and took my iPhone 7 Plus off the charger about 15 minutes ago and started reading this thread while getting warmed up to get ready to start my day. My battery has dropped 3% on less than 25%brightness. That’s faster than it used to drop. I need another day to get a feel for it but my battery definitely drains faster than this time last year when it was brand new.

25. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

Do you understand the word bias? I criticized Apple and Samsung. How can that be biased?