Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
But the general condition is definitely known: large peaks/valleys in power draw relative to voltage remaining.
That is what iOS is now programmed to monitor the system for and smooth out if it occurs.

Is it possible to know every possible combination of functions relative to voltage that might trigger that type of behavior? No. But you can say what the most likely battery state is required to trigger it, and that's the info that Apple has provided: old battery (EOL), low charge battery (voltage drops below nominal), or cold battery. In all those situations, the voltage supply isn't going to be as predictable, thus the significantly increased likelihood of the battery not being able to supply the current the CPU needs.

And here are the "basics" of CPU power draw in combination with lithium ion batteries...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/18...k-and-how-apple-manages-performance-over-time

no.....no.....stop these links..... You are not demonstrating any knowledge on this issue, you are just spamming links :(

If you are unable to articulate how something works, needing to link to someone else article, it means you don't understand it.

You have made it very clear about 20% and EOL, but posting this over and over and over? why?

Apple have created this throttling that works all the time, irrespective if the battery is EOL under 20% over 80%.....99% ..... its not just EOL, EOL is most likely when it will manifest itself ....it does not make the issue less dire that throttling happens in less than 12 months, and how sever the throttling is.....which is insignificant to the fact that apple did not tell the user the throttling was happening at all.

Anyway, good luck - maybe a mod will pull you up on reposting the same thing over and over, or not....

Last edited:
Reactions: Narcaz

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Apple is still doing iPhone 5s battery replacements (and I think the iPhone 5c too) and those phones are probably affected even WORSE!

What gives Apple?
My son uses my old 5s and the battery goes from 79% to 30% then dead literally ....
I'd gladly pay $29 for a new battery, besides that the 5s phone serves his needs.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
My iPhone 4s is still working ( apart from the Wifi/BT/volume control design issues, which Apple never stood up to ) ,

How about a battery replacement at a reasonable price for that one ?
Or any electronic device using a battery, which is a disposable by its very nature ?

One day law makers will grow a pair, and easily replacable, standardized batteries will be mandatory, along with universal chargers ; which really is the only thing worth talking about here . In my humble opinion .

Meanwhile, a hairdryer keeps my 4s running when the Wifi/BT/volume controls act up again .

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
My son uses my old 5s and the battery goes from 79% to 30% then dead literally ....
I'd gladly pay $29 for a new battery, besides that the 5s phone serves his needs.

My old 5s does the same thing. However, I don't think it will be covered. The article states 6 or better. So that would leave the 5s out.

I asked earlier whether the 5s is not being throttled, even though it runs the latest iOS. I have not received an answer. If it is being throttled as well, I'm not sure why Apple doesn't include it.

I assume the SE battery will fit into a 5s, if so, then ordering an SE kit from iFixit for $29 should work just as well.

I took my 5s in after an iOS update broke the Touch ID within a year after Apple claimed to replace my original defective one with a brand new replacement 5s. Despite it being brand new, it was still under my original warranty which had expired. Apple did test my 5s and found the battery to pass it's test, despite several Apple employees observing first hand the rapid battery drain. They wanted me to pay $250 to replace it. So instead I waited until the SE came out a few months later and upgraded. Hopefully, the battery drain is JUST an old battery, and not something more flawed with the 5s hardware. For $29 I'm happy to find out.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Apple have created this throttling that works all the time, irrespective if the battery is EOL under 20% over 80%.....99% ..... its not just EOL, EOL is most likely when it will manifest itself ....it does not make the issue less dire that throttling happens in less than 12 months, and how sever the throttling is.....which is insignificant to the fact that apple did not tell the user the throttling was happening at all.

John Poole of Geekbench: the throttling is used to "mask battery deficiency".

Apple: the battery is deficient in these scenarios...end of life for the battery, low charge on a healthy battery, cold battery.

What does that mean? It means two out of the three scenarios where there is "battery deficiency" could happen with a healthy battery and aren't related to age or defects. Both of those are related to the limits of lithium ion technology though, not to Apple. The reason you're so dismissive of the link that I previously posted is that it proves exactly what both Poole, and Apple, and myself are saying.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
My iPhone 4s is still working ( apart from the Wifi/BT/volume control design issues, which Apple never stood up to ) ,

How about a battery replacement at a reasonable price for that one ?
Or any electronic device using a battery, which is a disposable by its very nature ?

One day law makers will grow a pair, and easily replacable, standardized batteries will be mandatory, along with universal chargers ; which really is the only thing worth talking about here . In my humble opinion .

Meanwhile, a hairdryer keeps my 4s running when the Wifi/BT/volume controls act up again .

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Does the 4s run the minimum software in which the throttling algorhythms were introduced? And if so, do you know if they are designed to operate on the 4s, or just newer phones?

There are obvious legitimate reasons why older batteries for legacy products cost more. Fewer people are using the 4s and have upgraded for faster phones, and better features. Therefore, demand is lower, and the custom batteries will cost more.

I hope lawmakers never mandate easily replaceable, standardized batteries. If those laws already existed, then we wouldn't have the amazing phones we do today, as they would be limited by size, and accessibility, and perhaps even features until new standards provided for the support needed for them.

I've always had AppleCare on every Apple product I've owned, except my ill-fated 5s, and Apple has never once hesitated to replace my phone when a physical defect appeared under warranty. I've found that while I can still use my older Apple products, upgrading has been the only reasonable path after every few years, if only to maintain proper functionality in a modern world. Despite my disagreements with Apple, they've done far more than any other electronics maker to keep me coming back every few years.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Nobody is complaining about batteries deteriorating. Hell nobody even wanted a discount on battery replacement before this episode began. Apple screwed up by miscommunicating the rollout of power management feature. They should have been transparent about it and given people an option of opting in or out. It’s a software feature and hence can be entirely user controllable. The main complain after this became public was that Apple sometimes does not replace battery even when people are willing to pay $79 for it just because it fails their diagnostic test. Hence the only options for people are to keep using a laggy phone or buy a new one. The appropriate response from Apple should have been to rollout a feature that allows people to opt out and allow people to replace battery at their will. They are going a step ahead with battery replacement with also providing a discount. However they also need to provide the opt out feature.

This sums it up succinctly and elegantly. Apple appears to have promised the disclosure at least and potentially an opt-out feature as well, just as low-power mode is optional.

I’m still sceptical how this occurred and why so many iPhones (as to be measurable in Geekbench results) required throttling after as little as one year. All I can say is thanks Geekbench for exposing the problem and helping to retain my phone’s performance.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
John Poole of Geekbench: the throttling is used to "mask battery deficiency".

Apple: the battery is deficient in these scenarios...end of life for the battery, low charge on a healthy battery, cold battery.

What does that mean? It means two out of the three scenarios where there is "battery deficiency" could happen with a healthy battery and aren't related to age or defects. Both of those are related to the limits of lithium ion technology though, not to Apple. The reason you're so dismissive of the link that I previously posted is that it proves exactly what both Poole, and Apple, and myself are saying.

And the 3rd Scenario?

I am dismissive because you are blaming the whole issue on Battery technology, that is not the issue . The way Apple dealt with the existing ........and what has never changed..... that batteries will die over time......fact..... is to Cripple the phone in step with the battery dieing. Something others do do, and they actually inform the user of the real battery health, so they can replace it!

Apple hid form the user the real health of the battery, by crippling the device, decieving them into thinking the battery was okay and that the deceive overall was getting slow - THIS is the ISSUE.

Going on and on about that batteries loose power....yeah the pop is catholic, we get it, that is not the issue here.

FYI - My iPad original.....does not crash.......the battery just lasts a lot less, how is this possible? an old battery.....in the original iPad, that does not crash running geekbench? Its cause apple messed up the iPhone 6 / 6s design around the tolerances.

Please explain to me why my iPad 1 with its original battery can avoid crashing , with tis battery EOL....??

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Do you understand the word bias? I criticized Apple and Samsung. How can that be biased?

Your bias is you see Apple defense where none exists. You see a statement “Samsung is purple” and read into it that I said “Apple is green.” Since I said not a word about Apple, you reached this conclusion based on your own preconceived notions. Hence bias.

PKUSMC

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
Tampa
Did you show them this article and point out that Apple has said to replace it anyway? Honestly, it is a new policy and it is possible that not everyone had been told about this yet, give it a few days and try again.
I didn’t see anything that said they would replace it whether it passed diagnostics or not. I guess I can make another appt and push the issue. Thanks...

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Normal phones? (iPhone 6/7 and most likely 8 have design flaw and slow down is cover up of it in order to avoid recall).

Most of the phones don't have that problem. And apple did not fixed it, but used ugly hack at user's expense.Complete insanity to proclaim the iPhone 6, 7, 'most likely' 8 have a "design flaw." I mean, LOL!!! There are probably close to 800M iPhone 6, 6s, 7, and 8 out there. Do you know how many phones 800M really is? This would be a WAY WAY WAY bigger problem if there were ANY "design flaw" in these phones.

You're literally making stuff up based on a vocal minority.

ALL batteries degrade over time and Apple has decided to support the situation with a $29 fix even for 3.5 year old devices.

You can debate how we got here, but there is no design flaw on a mass scale.

ISanych said:
1) Why iPhone 1/3G/4/5 did not need that "solution"?
2) Do you think that it is normal for $1000 device to stop operating normally after a year of usage ($29 fix is a temporary defense from lawsuit, normal approach was $79 and only if approved by Apple)?

Let's see. Now this is going to be hard for most people to grasp, but let's try.

Battery tech has not increased as quickly as mobile processing tech. It's really that simple. Not before you just quote me and offer a rebuttal, think about it.

Phone applications demand FAR more computing power, are far more capable, and the phones themselves have far more computing power than previous models. The iPhone X is as powerful as some laptops.

There are situations that today's phones are doing processing that requires higher draw on a battery that is in sub-optimal shape. When this occurs, the phone could shut down or need some kind of power management to mitigate these situations.

You might not like it, but it's reality with every phone and every lithium battery. Search Google for Samsung Note shutdown or Android bootloop and see that's it's not just iPhones. The difference with Apple is they are actually facing the problem. Was their power management perfect? Maybe not, but I know plenty of people with iPhone 6 and 6s that have no idea this problem is even going on. I still believe the people really experiencing pain have batteries with far more cycles and in overall worse shape than others.

That's why 800M people aren't complaining. If they were, you'd know it and the problem would be WAY more publicized.

Last edited:

Dean_UK

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2018
Genuine question. I don't use iMessage, but my whole family are all on different ecosystems, e.g. Windows, IOS and Android and my teenage daugthers all are using something different, but spend their lives messenging each other [Whatsap and Facebook messenger I think?]. What is it about iMessage that means it is difficult to leave IOS? - Genuine question as I have seen this said before many times.

Couldn't really tell you mate, Mario stickers maybe? :)

If you use iMessage a lot on an iPhone and have a Mac the fact it all ties together nicely might be hard to give up but like I mentioned most folks I know are on WhatsApp and that has a good Mac app which provides the same functionality.

I prefer apps which are platform agnostic where possible precisely so I'm not tied into a service I can't take somewhere else or easily switch to an alternative.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Apple hid form the user the real health of the battery, by crippling the device, decieving them into thinking the battery was okay and that the deceive overall was getting slow - THIS is the ISSUE.

The problem with what you're saying here is that battery health is not the only situation where voltage can become too low for the CPU load. Low charge (20% or lower) and cold can both cause issues with voltage supply. Neither requires the battery to be old or defective. It's due to limitations with how standard lithium ion technology works in small form factors like phones. Larger sized batteries for iPads have more overhead for supplying voltage. It's less likely to be a problem with a healthy battery. Your EOL iPad battery will eventually get too unstable for voltage though, just like with a phone.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Whilst I didn't like it and won't switch to Android any time soon it was a perfectly more than useable handset/OS.
Apologies in advance but I just had to...

Pick one:
...it was a perfectly usable handset/OS
...it was a more than usable handset/OS

Sorry again :(

Mike

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
The problem with what you're saying here is that battery health is not the only situation where voltage can become too low for the CPU load. Low charge (20% or lower) and cold can both cause issues with voltage supply. Neither requires the battery to be old or defective. It's due to limitations with how standard lithium ion technology works in small form factors like phones. Larger sized batteries for iPads have more overhead for supplying voltage. It's less likely to be a problem with a healthy battery. Your EOL iPad battery will eventually get too unstable for voltage though, just like with a phone.

Then the throttling "feature" should have been implimented across the board to ALL iPhones (and would have been included for the 7 in 10.2.1 update, and in included in the 8 in 11.2 update), and not just implemented in the previous generation phones.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Apologies in advance but I just had to...

Pick one:
...it was a perfectly usable handset/OS
...it was a more than usable handset/OS

Sorry again :(

Mike
Sorry, it wasn't clear but now that I've read it back it's both of what you suggested. I personally didn't like it and if I'm honest used my own phone, (5000 mins/month and unlimited data), instead of the business one because of it.

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
False. It was implemented in he iPhone 6 and greater only. Earlier iPhones are not slowed down. They just crash a lot when the battery gets worn out.

It's surprising how no other portable device ever has had this problem. Not Androids, Samsung, or even iPads.

808Thompson

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
My 4s goes from 100% to 65% then dead. My phone was working fine until Apple created this mess. Why should I pay for anything? How do I add my name to the lawsuit?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
they will replace everyone's battery regardless because they are still making a profit on them

How are they making profit on a $29 battery replacement? You mean from a big picture perspective? Or long-term profit through customer retention?

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Normal phones? (iPhone 6/7 and most likely 8 have design flaw and slow down is cover up of it in order to avoid recall).

Most of the phones don't have that problem. And apple did not fixed it, but used ugly hack at user's expense.Complete insanity to proclaim the iPhone 6, 7, 'most likely' 8 have a "design flaw." I mean, LOL!!! There are probably close to 800M iPhone 6, 6s, 7, and 8 out there. Do you know how many phones 800M really is? This would be a WAY WAY WAY bigger problem if there were ANY "design flaw" in these phones.

You're literally making stuff up based on a vocal minority.

ALL batteries degrade over time and Apple has decided to support the situation with a $29 fix even for 3.5 year old devices.

You can debate how we got here, but there is no design flaw on a mass scale.

Let's see. Now this is going to be hard for most people to grasp, but let's try.

Battery tech has not increased as quickly as mobile processing tech. It's really that simple. Not before you just quote me and offer a rebuttal, think about it.

Phone applications demand FAR more computing power, are far more capable, and the phones themselves have far more computing power than previous models. The iPhone X is as powerful as some laptops.

There are situations that today's phones are doing processing that requires higher draw on a battery that is in sub-optimal shape. When this occurs, the phone could shut down or need some kind of power management to mitigate these situations.

You might not like it, but it's reality with every phone and every lithium battery. Search Google for Samsung Note shutdown or Android bootloop and see that's it's not just iPhones. The difference with Apple is they are actually facing the problem. Was their power management perfect? Maybe not, but I know plenty of people with iPhone 6 and 6s that have no idea this problem is even going on. I still believe the people really experiencing pain have batteries with far more cycles and in overall worse shape than others.

That's why 800M people aren't complaining. If they were, you'd know it and the problem would be WAY more publicized.

“There is no design flaw on a mass scale.”

Oh yeah? Then why do the devices power themselves off. Do you know of any other mobile phones that turn themselves off and require being connected to a power device to power back on? Any at all? Yes ALL batteries degrade over time - only newer iPhones are shutting themselves off. That’s a design flaw, which was remedied by throttling the devices to near-levels of previous iPhones.

Apple will lose billions, and Tim Cook is going to be replaced as CEO. Time reveals all.

Reactions: Ladybug and mi7chy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.