Apple Will Replace the Battery in Your iPhone 6 or Later Even if It Passes a Genius Bar Diagnostic Test

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2018.

1. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Whether Poole meant these or not, he forgot to mention;
    Low quality battery.
    Undersized battery.
    These both relate to choices made by Apple.

2. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Save your receipts, or work on getting proof of purchase.

Once Apple begins losing suit by suit, they will settle to the tune of billions of dollars, and all iPhone users affected by this will be paid out retro checks, or possibly given a new device. Depends what the courts decide when they find Apple at fault.

3. HugoCatarino macrumors newbie

HugoCatarino

Here it goes.. apple is already starting to ad "ifs" and greyness in the replacement process...

I'm sure if I would bring now my iphone 6 with the ifixit battery I installed a month ago, the "geniuses" would find somee excuse to not replace it and make my device not applicable...

Welcome to the sad apple reality these days... :(

4. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Uh, no. It’s always been a thing if you have your phone serviced from an outside vendor that it voids your warranty or any part of Apple’s obligation to help you. That was your own stupid decision, & they absolutely will not replace your battery now.

5. netslacker macrumors 6502

Apple already doesn't repair a phone that has 3rd party parts in it, why would that change now?

6. mi7chy, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

7. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

LOL @ all the suits, and they’re just getting started.

Anyone else believe Tim Cook will remain as CEO? Especially once the disappointing sales of the iPhone X are released in their Q earnings report? Lollllllllll...so naive...

10: First Class Action against Apple from Chicago Surfaces Claiming 'Intentional Sabotage of Older Model iPhones'

09: Apple Hit with a Lawsuit over Slowing iPhones in France and a Pair of Law Firms in Korea are Preparing Class Actions

08: The 10th Class Action against Apple Claims they Fraudulently Omitted Information about the Battery Issue in order to sell new iPhones

07: The 9th Lawsuit against Apple for Purposely slowing iPhones Points to Fraud, Unjust Enrichment and 9 other Causes for their Class Action

06: The 7th and 8th Class Action Lawsuits have been filed in New York and California with one Suit demanding an insane $999 Billion Payout

05: Apple Hit with a $125 Million Class Action in Israel over Purposely Slowing iPhones

04: Apple hammered with Class Action #5 for slowing iPhone Battery Issue

03: The Fourth Lawsuit against Apple regarding the slowing iPhone Battery Issue was filed in New York on Friday

02: Apple has been hit with a Third Battery Issue Related Lawsuit by a Bay Area Resident

01: In the Blink of an Eye, Apple's Admission of Slowing Batteries on Older iPhones turns into a Class Action Lawsuit (this report covers two class action lawsuits)

Five Counts against Apple

Count 1: (Illinois Class) Illinois Consumer Fraud And Deceptive Business Practices Act

Count 2: (Illinois Class) Trespass to Chattels

Count 3: (Illinois Class) Breach of the Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing

Count 4: (National Class) Computer Fraud and Abuse Act

Count 5: (Illinois Class) Illinois Computer Crime Prevention Law

8. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I think he will remain for three reasons;

CEOs and prominent people very rarely fall on their swords.
    The public have short memories.
    The public are easily satisfied.

9. Baymowe335, Jan 3, 2018

Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Not even close to all of them power off by themselves. Are you serious? And if he's gone in 5 years, you won't be right. He needs to be gone in the next year and I'll bet all my AAPL shares (by holding them) he won't be for anything related to this.

You couldn't be more wrong or overreact any more. We are talking about 800M devices.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Funny you think a lawsuit claiming for $999B should even be taken seriously. Look up any company's pending lawsuits. They are being sued all the time.

Apple isn't worried about class action. They rarely go anywhere. Here are the biggest class actions of all time.

• Enron Securities Class Action (2006): $7.2 Billion. ...
    • WorldCom Securities Class Action (2005): $6.2 Billion. ...
    • Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Litigation (2001): $5 Billion.
    Even Exxon Valdez only cost $5B and on appeal was reduced to $500M....Enron/WorldCom defrauded investors out of billions.

Apple is going to make $20B in profit this quarter and has $270B in cash.

10. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

I had a battery replaced on an iPhone 6 in January of 2017. I inquired for a refund for the difference between $79 and $29 and it was denied given that the repair happened prior to the release of the respective iOS version (summer that year). Hence, if you are looking for a partial refund of the original repair cost Apple will likely honor it, if that repair happened after iOS 10.2 (??) was released.

11. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

To your first point, yeah they aren’t shutting off - because they’ve been throttled and crippled not to.
    Yes, the defective devices were only made/shipped after iOS 10.2

That will also be the cutoff date for the retro payment/new device you will be issued when Apple settles one of the largest mobile industry lawsuits of all-time.

12. Tec972 macrumors regular

This basically confirms what I always try to tell people. Apple are the biggest ripoff artists out there. The fact they can cut the price from $79 to $29 is very telling about how Apple rips people off so bad they don't even know it. People are fooled into thinking Apple charges fairly for their products. I'm always on here telling you otherwise, yet still get lambasted by lots of other people.

13. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Oh, now you caveat with largest mobile industry lawsuit. So maybe they settle for what, $1b? I mean, what is the largest mobile class action of all time? They don't care. Exxon Valdez ended up $500M. This is not Exxon Valdez and you're just being silly if you think it's going to be bigger than that.

When you're wrong, what will you do? That's the trouble with these predictions...you just throw them out and see what sticks.

I'm betting this will be a non-issue with real money invested in AAPL shares. Where is your bet other than meaningless words?

14. DA Lavery macrumors newbie

DA Lavery

I had my iPhone 6 battery replaced on 24 November at a cost of £79-00. Exactly the same issue - diagnostic test showed battery deterioration leading to frustratingly slow performance, particularly since the most recent software update. I called at the Belfast Apple Store this afternoon to ask about a goodwill refund as they are now replacing batteries for the reduced price of £25-00. I was met with total indifference. The manager advised me to wait for an update from the Apple website (although he also suggested keeping an eye on MacRumours as well!). In other words, he effectively told me to go away. This is really not good enough. There is no difference between a customer replacing a battery in November and a customer doing so now - in either case the phone's performance has deteriorated due to software changes introduced to compensate for battery deterioration. If they don't change their tune in the next week or so I may issue Small Claims Court proceedings to get the £54-00 refund I believe I am entitled to.

15. HugoCatarino, Jan 3, 2018

HugoCatarino macrumors newbie

HugoCatarino

Last week they said they yould replace the battery outside the warranty...
    Apple products were in the past known for it's durability and long lifetime. Replacing a battery outside warranty is not a warrany obligation but a normal maintenance service outside warranty that Apple provides. I would expect apple to be more conscious about circular economy, allowing me to keep the lifetime of my device for a reasonable duration for a reasonable price instead of artificaially increase prices of serviceability and pushing me for an upgrade.
    The price reduction of 79 to 29 evidences once again the artificially increased pricing, specially when considering the apple parts supply scale.

About your statement of stupid decisions i prefer to not answer.

16. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I bet stocks drop significantly after the release of iPhone X sales. I bet they fall further on lost customer loyalty from this battery problem and I don’t expect it to go away as easily as you think. European countries have very strict anti-trust and anti-consumer laws. It will far surpass 1B in those areas.
    You’d definitely get it, and more. Everyone will. For exactly the very rational and logical reason you just mentioned. They slowed down the phone’s processing speed or they didn’t - doesn’t really matter when. All that matters is they deceived the public and profited directly from the hidden performance drops. Phones were not sold as advertised.

17. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Your first mistake is there will be no breakout of iPhone X sales, so what metric will up you use to determine a failure?

You start throwing out how much they will lose in Europe like you know. Impossible to know. I gave you some of the biggest class actions in history and none of those amounts would be anything but a bump (more like a pebble) in the road.

Consumers are resilient and forgiving when they love a product. Even Samsung has recovered after literally selling phones that explode. Think they didn’t have battery concerns?

Apple sells 225M iPhones per year and it’s goung to take A LOT more to erode that most in a meaningful way. You have no concept for what a beast Apple is and their earning power. Their customers are extraordinarily loyal and their ecosystem is incredibly sticky.

Cook will be there for years and this will not be a big deal. They already killed most of the negativity with the $29 fix.

The stock is near an all time high, so the market certainly has decided it doesn’t matter.

I want you back in this thread when they report FQ12018 in a few weeks.

18. Doc C macrumors regular

No no no -

it would be like designing the vehicle software so the car could no longer accelerate as fast (because you really don't want the car to shut down in the middle of that acceleration).

The phone can still do everything it could do before, it just can't push the CPU full-tilt, because the battery isn't capable of drawing sufficient current. In your example, the acceleration would be dependent on current, not the top speed.

So I have a few questions (truly trying to understand whether I am not interpreting the information available...)

Firstly - If Apple had positioned the phone as having a base CPU speed of 600-800MHz, but that "under certain conditions" it could turbo to 1.2-1.4GHz, it would be basically the same thing. Nonetheless, would this have been a more acceptable situation to the general public? (assume that this was done equally for the last several generations, so there would still have been the gradual increase in clock speed that we have seen).

Second question - How long did people typically keep using a phone 5 yrs ago?
    Keep in mind that Apple has several generations of devices already in the works, and likely is building the OS upgrades at least somewhat in parallel. This means that when they made a decision to throttle, it would have been made at least a year before the 6s came out, meaning at least 3 yrs ago. In order to establish how long people had been keeping their phones, they would have been looking at the longevity of phones from at least three years before that (assuming that people keep their phones for two years, with a standard deviation of 1 yr, they may have had to look at data regarding phones as far back as the 4s, likely even the 4 or 3G). The longevity of those phones was very different from the more recent ones.

Third question - Some people have suggested that this was an intentional act by Apple to push people to buy new phones. Would Apple really do something like that while concurrently continuing to design the OS to work on the older phones? (Note that I'm not suggesting that iOS works well on old phones, just that this is being touted as one of the benefits of being on iOS)

For what it's worth, my suspicion is that this was done in a misguided attempt to prolong the life of the phones, as they had been pushing the CPU speeds (as demanded by the public) and the battery (or technology) could not keep up. The biggest problem is how Apple has handled the situation - they can no longer rely on the Steve Jobs "Reality Distortion Field" to bail them out. Apple is going to have to either find someone else who can spin like Steve did, or they are going to have to change their approach to transparency.
    The profit margin that Apple has typically charged is public knowledge.
    If people are "fooled" then they have made a conscious decision to ignore the data available.

The bigger question is what the device is worth to YOU (as in, the user purchasing the device).
    If it is worth the $1000 price, either immediately or over the usage lifespan of the device, then it is a worthwhile purchase. If you derive less than the sticker price in real or perceived value, then it is a bad purchase, no matter what that sticker price is.

In case I'm not explaining it properly, here's an analogy. I may be able to purchase a Mac truck for $20K, but if I have no use for it, nor any way to profit from it otherwise, then it still isn't a good deal (though my truck-driving patients might argue that it's a steal in their eyes.)
    Apple will do what it has to in order to weather the storm. The current legal and economic climate in the US, and several other countries, lean towards the benefits of the corporations over the individuals, so even if a lawsuit were to make it to trial, it is highly unlikely that it would be successful unless there was evidence of actual intent (and assuming that Apple's legal army didn't find a way to stall, obfuscate, deflect, or otherwise make the suit moot). And then, even a massive payout sustained after appeal is unlikely to be more then $15B. This is barely two months profits currently (likely to be even less than two months by the time any of this ends, given historical growth). It represents barely 6% of their current cash on hand - companies this large see these types of numbers as costs of doing business. Wall Street certainly hasn't considered this an issue, as the stock has continued its climb without even a hiccup.
    Are you sure about this?
    I have colleagues with relatively current (less than 18 month old) Android phones who will often have their phones lock up or reboot or just shut down, seemingly randomly. I don't have data to prove either side, but it seems to me that it is plausible this is the same issue, just that Google hasn't addressed it or tried to mitigate it in any way.

19. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

I agree with you that it won’t be a big deal but there is no way in hell it will be even near $15B. Whatever the judgement, it will be appealed endlessly until it’s 10 cents on the dollar like the $5B ruling against Exxon that was ultimately $500M.

These people are way overreacting.
    He is just riffing and has no idea what he’s talking about. I had a Samsung Note that shut itself down all the time.

Google Android or Samsung bootloop and have fun reading.

So many people here just say stuff like it’s fact and so many have absolutely no idea what they are saying and/or they just hate Apple so much that they’ve convinced themselves of the lie.
    How do you just say something ridiculous like this and have literally no basis for it?

You wrote that and honestly believed Androids and Samsung don’t have this issue?

Google Samsung or Android bootloop.

My Note had this EXACT problem and constantly shut down at 50%. No support, no update, no idea what was wrong until now that Apple has educated the market.

20. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

The 4s isn't affected by this. You have no grounds for a class action lawsuit with respect to this issue.

No phone before the 6 is affected.

21. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

22. godrifle macrumors 6502

godrifle

But iPhone X Face ID sucks wearing winter headgear, and woe be to the user with a long password when it fails to recognize his face. I really miss the speed and convince of my old phone’s TouchID.

23. cmaier macrumors G4

Touchid doesn’t work with winter hand wear.

Faceid works as long as the upper face portion is exposed.

24. smock Suspended

They need to go back to using Samsung batteries not the cheep china ones. They use now!

25. Machead2012 macrumors regular

FYI and Heads up! - In Europe the price is 44.00 euros at Apple Authorized Stores and when you do the math vs. USD rate there is no real bargain here. I'm officially going Android for Mobile Phone from now on and when it comes to Computer I will remain w Apple but NEVER upgrade to new builds. That should keep me safe from their unsavory, despicable greed.
    Typical.