Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but a similar issue was present on some models of the iPhone 6s, including mine. In cold weather, the phone would become very unresponsive and eventually would not start up again until connected to power. This would happen more often if the battery was somewhat depleted. Fixing it involved getting a new battery. I'll bet this is a similar issue.

kingestkong

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Yup. An issue for me today.

It’s -9 in Toronto and I was working outside today and the screen was unresponsive on certain areas.

I finally got to some warmth and googled oled and cold temperature and these articles began popping up.

I expect better of a $1700 plus phone

Reactions: JonnyIreland

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014

It’s -9 in Toronto and I was working outside today and the screen was unresponsive on certain areas.

I finally got to some warmth and googled oled and cold temperature and these articles began popping up.

That's quite a chunk of change for a phone. Ugh.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada

Same here, I had this issue within a few seconds of going outside. I just hope it really is a software issue.

Nfvogel

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Electrical current in your finger, huh? :rolleyes:
Yes your body gives of an weak electrical field which distorts a sensing field in the screen to determine where the touch came from. Quit rolling eyes and learn something before commenting. I’m no genius but will learn a little something before making comments I know absolutely nothing about. This is why over half of the posts here are useless to read. And half is being nice. I like this site to know a what’s going on, but reading what people type brings me so much laughter. And if you specifically are referring to the use of the word “current” cause you do have a basic understanding doesn’t mean you have to be sarcastic to those that did some reading and made a comment and used the wrong word.

Last edited:

nafai23

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2008
I’m surprised this isn’t dominating the news sites more than the green line issue.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Electrical current in your finger, huh? :rolleyes:

Haven't you seen Thor Ragnarok?

oz7zbvvqwmimvlglm7ud.jpg

Rakurai

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015

Over the course of the last week, there have been a growing number of complaints from users who have discovered that the display of the iPhone X becomes unresponsive in the cold.

Users on both reddit and the MacRumors forums have noticed that their iPhones immediately refuse to recognize some touch input when exposed to cool outdoor temperatures. As it turns out, there is a software bug causing the issue, which Apple says will be addressed in an upcoming update. From a statement to The Loop:

snowyiphonex2.jpg
Apple says its iOS devices operate best between temperatures of 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F), but some of the people who are experiencing issues have seen display problems within these temperature parameters. Reddit user darus214, for example, had his iPhone X act up when it was 45 to 50ºF outside.Not all iPhone X users are experiencing problems with the display in cold weather, and those that are see the problem occur as soon as cold exposure happens rather than after a period of time, which does indeed suggest a software issue. Most affected users have said that the problem clears up after a few minutes. From the MacRumors forums:It's not clear when Apple will fix the cold weather bug, but a fix could come in iOS 11.2, which is currently in beta testing. Apple this morning released iOS 11.1.1, an update that addresses an autocorrect bug that caused "i" to correct to "A[?]" on some devices.

Article Link: Apple Working on Fix for Bug Causing iPhone X Display to Become Temporarily Unresponsive in Cold Weather
Watch the fix be a 100% cpu thread that warms up the phone.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
36F where I am today. As I stepped out of the car touch sensing was glitched, responding inappropriately or nothing at all
[doublepost=1510377684][/doublepost]
I was not aware phones had temperature sensors inside them, so you could use software to change what happens based upon hardware.

This seems to be what some are saying here.
Is this true?

Can software access this to tell you the current temp?
IMG_0362_zpsd8b1c1e8.jpg

You've never gotten this screen?

nextuser

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
In all fairness - as we joke in the Development industry , thank god us developers don't build bridges or cars :p

The tolerances and testing in cars is really thorough as people's lives are at stake , and there is not over the air patch to fix bugs .

In software , we ship unfinished first versions of software that have some ....bad bugs.... we than spend x release fixing them.

It's a very different mindset , and very different consequence , hence why car analogies and phones don't really work..... and nope , iPhone is no Ferrari :p

Remember a short while ago when Apple was planning to build a self-driving car?

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2017
Look , who cares, i know we will never talk actual facts....

I certainly don't care to read your pointless 'car analogies' for dozens of posts.

Perhaps take an example from people who are actually providing useful info in this thread...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.