Apple Working on Fix for Bug Causing iPhone X Display to Become Temporarily Unresponsive in Cold Weather

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. pallymore macrumors member

pallymore

I noticed that today...

I was waiting for the train outside this morning (it was around ~36F) and I found the screen to be extremely unresponsive - I thought I had too many Apps open or it was something with my finger :/ I guess it's the screen.

2. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

20 and snow in Ohio. Nothing at this point. Watching this closely.

3. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I agree with everything you said until the last line. My family has had no issues with our 3 iPhones X. I guess the moderate PNW has kept us from this temp issue, and the phone seems to be working just fine otherwise. Over generalizations make the rest of your argument seem weaker.

4. NMBob macrumors 6502a

Designed tested and used in California inside a nice comfy building where the walls are dark colored and the lights aren't too bright always facing away from a window which looks out at multiple cell phone towers with a WiFi access point over the door and a GPS repeater transmitter antenna in the middle of the room on the ceiling. They've had to simulate this real life since they can't trust employees to even take the things to a local bar.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I posted here earlier I have not experienced this due to cold, however twice now while inside I’ve had to reboot my X due to it being unresponsive.

My 6 plus did this as well and I chalked it up to Touch gate.

6. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I was going to buy one. What a neat phone. I will get it around the end of March when it starts warming up outside. Sell it in the fall before the value drops in the winter.

7. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

This just happened to me waiting for my wife to pull the car up outside in NY. 36F

8. Altis macrumors 68030

Electrical current in your finger, huh? :rolleyes:

9. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors regular

Jimmy Bubbles

To clarify, they don't have external temperature sensors that could be used to gauge the weather around it, but they do have one that measures the temperature on the processor (internally). Otherwise, are these Geek Bench tests and other apps that tell temperature of processor just arbitrary numbers? Furthermore, the phone does have a means of shutting down to protect itself when it senses that temperature is too hot for it to continue operating safely.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    So much for this global warming theory, eh?

10. Derekeys macrumors regular

I'm confused by this, don't they still have to swipe up with Face ID? Requiring a hand?

11. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Weather app memory leak.

12. camelia macrumors regular

camelia

But you want to have the new iPhone before your friends hum? :cool:
    Here is your reward :p
    Do not complain :D

13. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

That’s correct. How do you think your nervous system works? Get back to me once you educate yourself on this topic. Until then, stop trolling.

14. wanderlust19283 macrumors newbie

wanderlust19283

Just happened to me in chicago. Snowing this morning.

15. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I just found this with mine. i think its only in the low 40's today and mine was doing it. Glad its a known thing and a software thing atleast

16. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

A touchscreen not responding to touch is very similar to a a 4wheel drive not responding to the only function it supposed to do. Your analogy is of carplay would be similar to Bluetooth not working.

17. drewyboy macrumors 65816

They must, but those chambers typically ramp the temp down with the device in. Not a drastic room temp to cold change.

With how much money they have you'd think they can create an indoor fake small village to test out the most crazy environment scenarios.
    Apparently they've never heard of an EKG either.

18. jamesbilluk macrumors newbie

Just been for a walk with the dog here in the UK, quite a breezy day, but 9 degrees C. Ive had the same problem, various letters becoming unresponsive, and the Taptic engine coming on at random.

19. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Scott please come back to Apple. Craig has lost control of the process. :apple:
    $1,145 to be Public Beta Testers. Both Hardware and Software. Just pathetic. Tim needs to go. Are you reading this Arthur? :apple:

20. Bagaholic macrumors member

Bagaholic

Oh so this is why! My screen wasn't being very responsive a couple of days ago and I read this post yesterday but didn't connect the dot until this morning when it stopped working under NYC's 37F/3C weather :D:D:D

21. Bacillus macrumors 68000

Bacillus

Now with your brain equally impeded, the overall situation might become bearable

22. ThatSandWyrm macrumors regular

ThatSandWyrm

Which is why you never buy the first version of any Apple product.

Back when the Titanium MacBooks first came out in '02-ish, a friend of mine bought one. Turned out, that if you picked it up by opposite corners, the battery fell out. Oh, and it had 2 dead pixels that Apple said was within their tolerances.

23. Andreas56938 macrumors member

Andreas56938

LOL

iPhone 8 = #SplitGate

iPhone X = #ColdGate

24. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

We were in lower 20's today, still lower 30's so far I cannot reproduce this my X seems to not respond this way. FYI

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes, I live in California, up where Apple is in Cupertino in can get cold enough in winter that you need to trade shorts for long pants. (Today at 7:00am to go outside, I put on a shorts, sandals and because it is getting colder, a long sleeve flannel shirt.) So it is understandable the engineers who carried the prototypes around never would experience cool enough temperatures to cause this problem

That said, I'm sure Apple someplace has a large walk-in freezer where they can simulate winter temperatures typical of the Eastern US and Europe where it gets cold enough to freeze water solid. But then I wonder if it ever occurred to an engineer to continue to use a phone as he walks into the freezer. In the environmental testing I've seen the protocol is to let the device cool off until the internal temperature is the same as the freezer, then test. Otherwise the engineer thinks he is testing a still-warm device and the test is invalid.

Who there would have though to use the iPhone as it was brought into the freezer. That is not how test engineers think, the test would be so uncontrolled and not repeatable.

Had Apple built its headquarters in a place where it snows then walking from a warm to cold environment would be norman and likely caught when they did their internal beta testing.