Apple's iPhone Easily Named 'Best-Selling Tech Product of 2017'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Vasilioskn macrumors regular

Vasilioskn

The notch is ugly and really annoying when playing full screen videos.

2. Superhappytree, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Again, you’re talking about the hardware with your last sentence. There’s many reviewers and tech people on YouTube claiming the Pixel 2 XL to be the best phone and their favourite phone of the year. This is despite heavy criticism of the screen and any of its shortcomings. All because of how good the software is. That is pretty damn amazing to me, the fact that for many the quality experience of the software negates any of its hardware issues.

As for preferring iOS 11.2.1 on iPhone X, I guess it’s subjective. I loved using the gestures on that phone, the screen, build quality etc. It’s just the iOS 11 part that I don’t agree with. It didn’t feel like I was using a 1k phone at all because of the UI inconcistencies and frame drops around the OS. I switched to Android purely because of that. Not having any said frame drop issues with my Pixel 2.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Another reason why I returned. I could look past it to an extent and my brain learnt to ignore it over time (for the most part), but I just felt like I was missing out on precious screen content when watching videos, viewing photos and playing games. It just isn’t natural and cuts into your content. No other screen in the history of screens is like that. Annoying indeed, intrusively so.

3. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

I know, right?

We are lucky. :)

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

I threw in the note about the screen because it’s a dealbreaker.

5. rpe33 macrumors regular

I almost didn't get the sarcasm. Nicely done!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Aww did the Samsung fanboy get his feelings hurt? It's ok, your phone is still good.

6. Baymowe335, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Your numbers are completely made up and wrong. Apple sold 78M iPhones last Christmas quarter (Oct-Dec) while Samsung sold 77M total (Not just galaxy) phones in the same period. You think Samsung sells 80M premium phones per quarter? Lot of junk in their numbers.

7. mebehere macrumors 6502

Who gives a **** in light of Apple’s deceptive practices?

8. thasan macrumors 6502a

I do :D

9. 1applerules1 macrumors regular

MacRumors members logic

10. fpsBeaTt Suspended

fpsBeaTt

I suspect that many MacRumors members are just desperately and abjectly spiteful Fandroids and Apple haters.

11. Ploki macrumors 68020

I said i compared MSRP not deals. I can get iphone x for 100$ if i bump up other services to 100/month...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2017 ---
    I will agree for 7 to 8 transition. glass back gives it a different feel, function and look.

6 to 7 however is what car manufacturers call a "face lift" i had both 6 and 7. you can't tell them apart aside from color (black as opposed to space gray) and antenna lines and they feel exactly the same. Unless you call removal of 3.5mm jack a new design...

12. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Lol who the hell compares iphone SE to that ugly cheap j3?

13. wigby macrumors 65816

Just sounds like a bad year for you. So you didn’t like Apple’s offerings this year. Fact is that they introduced the X which wasn’t lazy, but a complete redesign which millions of customers love. The design is distinct and will stand the test of time I believe. I never notice or think of be notch unless I am watching landscape video on my X (which is never) or reading comments like yours. I can only assume that you have not used an X for more than a few minutes and do not really know what you are talking about because I have never heard of anyone buying and using an X only to return it because the notch bothered them that much.

14. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The notch doesn’t factor in when watching videos or viewing photos (except when enlarging them to their max). Games are restricted to a given screen size so they don’t encroach into the notch. Either you’ve never handled the iPhone X before or you’re talking about something else.

15. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Best 2018 tech will be vintage apple phones. I'm calling it!

16. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

So, some random analyst said something to attract attention. Big deal. :rolleyes:

17. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

Hundreds of millions of satisfied customers who aren’t affected by this issue, or care about people trying to blow it up into a scandal.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2017 ---
    I know, right? The processor can’t even match the 5 year old A6 in the iPhone 5, and gets absolutely and utterly destroyed by the 2 year old A9 in the SE. Not to mention the measly 8GB storage and horrible camera. Or the fact in 2017 it shipped with a 3 year old OS (Android 5). It doesn’t even come with an ambient light sensor, requiring you to manually adjust brightness. Seriously?

The J3 proves the old adage: you get what you pay for.

18. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Due to Applethrottle (tm) technology innovation, After a year the j3 is way way faster ;)

19. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

No, still not even close.

20. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

They sell the others models because people still buy them...

21. xxray macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why the Apple Watch sells so well. I just don't see the use in the product whatsoever. It's only good for notifications and some health stats, why spend hundreds of dollars on that? You already get the same notifications on your phone.

22. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Companies typically operate on the “its better (cheaper) to ask forgiveness than permission” mantra. Apple is no different.

23. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Absolutely. At least, for apple's shareholders :D

24. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

No one can physically coerce others now a days! It's all mind game, manipulation and exploitation!

Those who are committed to an ecosystem for long, when directed through manipulation to a certain end, (& those who are blinded by the brand value, like typical faith systems) will end up serving the needs of their masters though unknowingly probably willingly, might even defend the brand.

25. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

Yeah either it’s an unbelievable surprise, or you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Hmmm....lesse here....which is it....