Apple's iPhone Easily Named 'Best-Selling Tech Product of 2017'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2017.

1. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

No surprise

Apple will always destroy the comp in sales.

3. Wildhope macrumors member

Wildhope

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

You pointed out 2 FALSEHOODS of iPhone X hardware.

5. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

So $50 phones with Galaxy in their name should be included?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Please. That’s a contract price. Samsung sells new phones as low as $50 WITHOUT a contract. As in that’s the full retail price.

6. MacBebe macrumors regular

And yet it still sells well. Isn’t that amazing? :D

7. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

I’ve always claimed the iPhone outsells the Galaxy S and Note by several times over. Just more proof to add to the list.

Samsung ASP is too low for them to sell any more than 60-70 million flagships a year (current and previous models combined).

8. Baymowe335, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Dude, you're really struggling. So DXOMARK didn't rate iPhone X the top still smartphone camera?

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-x-top-performer-stills/

Let me help you. The iPhone scored a 101 for stills and the Pixel scored a 99.
    Anyone who knows anything about mobile processing knows the Apple A series chips lead the industry by a wide margin.

I was right about everything I said. Why do you think I said STILL camera? I know the Pixel scored 1 point higher in their overall score. Look at the date of your link versus mine.

9. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

Apple has redeemed itself in the best tradition of American companies. Kudos on selling more product than anyone on the planet.

10. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

You win the Internets.

11. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

I’m wondering how long the momentum can go though. It seems like Apple is unstoppable.

12. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

Wait until you see their Christmas quarter sales.

13. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

True but a bad quarter for Apple usually equals out to what most companies wish they could make.

14. Michael Scrip, Dec 29, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I agree that $50 Samsung phones should not be on ANY list with iPhones. :)

However... if they're gonna count ALL iPhones sold the entire year to add up to 223 million units... at least make the comparison somewhat equal.

If they are basing it on price... fine.

Apple iPhones have retail prices ranging from $349 to $1149

But they have to use the same criteria for Samsung too. There are PLENTY of Samsung phones in that price range.

Again... we'll ignore the $50 phones... but Samsung has many phones at $349 and up.

I'm not one to defend Samsung here. I'm slamming the whole premise of this article.

I guess we need to decide what is a product... and what is a product family.

Yeah... Apple will get a huge number if you add up all these phones that were sold throughout 2017:

SE
    6+
    6S
    6S+
    7+
    8+
    X

It's just a little weird to say "iPhone is the best-selling product" when the iPhone is actually 10 models spanning an $800 price range.

Echo Dot is a product... but the iPhone is a family of products.

This whole article is flawed. :p

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I appreciate your optimism and I agree. And it's more than just selling a product to anyone on the planet, it's the customer service behind their product. I agree Apple makes very well-made devices, but if and when an issue arises, it's crucial that they have the customer service that meets the customers expectations, in which they do.

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

The score yes totalled 101 (X) vs 99 (Pixel2); yet it's WHERE the numbers show the only 3 areas of strength vs 6 other areas ... and each has to do with using 2 sensors vs one. Personally I'd say that isn't "The Best"
    Source from both our links btw.

[iPhone X vs Pixel]
    Exposure & Contrast:
    90 vs 95
    Color:
    79 vs 86
    Autofocus:
    78 vs 98
    Texture:
    65 vs 73
    Noise:
    69 vs 59
    Artifacts:
    82 vs 64
    Flash:
    85 vs 88
    Zoom:
    58 vs 32
    Bokeh:
    55 vs 45

many of the failings could be refined by algorhythms and some of the strengths in any also could be negatively affected. This is why I go by overall ratings, not just one, or sorry 3 ratings. This is not reaching ... Zoom (and how it affets noise and artifacts) would be 'reaching'. But I'm no shutterbug.

17. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

You sound like a few who demand a new design, get one and then complain how it's missing all the parts/features of the old design. Apple will always be the damned if you do, damned if you don't company to some. Either you want a new design which it seems you do since you complain about how the 8 looks like the previous models OR you want the same design because you don't like the notch which is necessary because of the sensors for face ID. I say don't complain, just buy whatever phone floats your boat and be happy =).

As for the 8, it's way more advanced than the 7 or 6. It's got the same guts as the X except for the Face ID hardware. My wife has it and it's fast. It ain't no 7s and she can't wait to try the wireless charging.

18. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

I’ve been impressed by the sound quality (noticeably better than the wired versions- lightning and non-lighting) and by the build quality. With the build quality, it’s all the little things where you can tell the engineers put a lot of thought into it.

Things like the magnetic tips at the ends of the earphones, which are “grabbed” by the case when you slide them in to charge and holds them firmly in place. Or when you open the lid and the battery stats pop up on your iPhone. Or the sound confirmation when you place them in your ears. And taking one out makes the music pause- love love love that.

Hell, even the “click” of the case lid. I showed off the AirPods to my brother (who is an Android guy) and while checking out the case he also played with the lid a few times, grinning and nodding. His remark?

“Ooooh, that’s satisfying.” :)

19. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Disagree. If ever there was an example of an iterative design approach to a car, and I mean ever, it’s the Porsche 911. It’s what it’s known for. Sloping back, rear-mounted flat 6, eyes in the fenders around a lower, flattish hood ... all those photos basically look the same. The design cues of a 1963 911 are the same as a 2017 911. Ferdinand Porsche found a successful design and, for better or worse, has stayed with it. Just like Apple.

20. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

So you can’t even admit I was right and you were wrong?

21. Superhappytree, Dec 29, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

The hardware may be good but the software certainly isn’t worth 1k at all and is why I returned mine. No matter how advanced the tech is inside and outside, the software, which is the true heart of the phone, isn’t. And I’m not paying such a high asking price for a phone that lags out of the box. There’s still frame drops and micro stutters in apps and around the OS itself. Heck, Apple had to issue a statement on their site because of those well-known-by-now reports of slowing phones which even they admit isn’t just the battery but that piece of junk iOS 11.

This once Apple loyalist switched to Android (Pixel 2) because of it, and I don’t care if 200m others bought a new iPhone, that doesn’t equal quality software (see 90s Microsoft). Samsung is the highest selling Android phone and it certainly isn’t because of TouchWiz. Like Apple, it’s because of the aesthetics and the cool factor of owning one, plus they are the most popular and most of their friends have one.

People continue to buy iPhones because of the quality reputation that they once had in the past, so they continue to buy expecting the same. They put up with these nagging slowing-down issues and can look past them because they are loyal to the brand and because they like the positives which, thankfully, still remain at Apple. Things like the customer service, privacy + security, iMessage, the app variety/quality and the secure and simple OS (which isn’t even so simple anymore). It for sure isn’t the quality software, that died over 4 years ago.

22. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

iOS is the major differentiator for iPhone and has been the main reason people choose Apple over Android. It’s only been with the iPhone X that the hardware has caught up to rivals like Samsung.

Samsung sells phones over $900, so let’s stop talking about $1k like it’s on its own island. The Pixel 2XL is almost $900.

You’re just totally mistaken if you think iOS is not a huge factor for iPhone buyers. I’ve been on both sides and iOS is far superior in my experience. Even with iOS 11hiccups, it’s gotten much better and will continue to be supported by a company that actually supports its products.

23. Superhappytree, Dec 29, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

You obviously haven’t tried a Pixel 2 then because honestly, based on solely the software it blows iOS away. I’m not talking about app selection and things like that, I’m talking about how smooth it operates, the fluidity of the animations which have almost zero hiccups, how there is no lag and none of this slowing down nonsense no matter how long you own one.

This used to be Apple, and it pains me to say all of this because I never thought I’d ever find myself going to the dark side. I loved Apple and defended them at every chance I could get, but that was Apple back then when the software was quality which backed up the reason why I was so defensive.

It’s mainly those positives I mentioned in my previous post as to why many people are loyal to Apple. The software has been on a steady decline since iOS 7, but because of those positives people can look past it and put up with it. Also, there’s many casual phone buyers out there who aren’t as sensitive to or don’t care about UI lag, and if they do it isn’t too bad to distract from everything else they love about the phone. It’s important to me though because as a techie and once Apple loyalist, I notice things like that right away. I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6 and it is shocking seeing and feeling the difference between that and the latest iPhone running the latest iOS version. Snappy, smooth, fluid transitions, a UI which was less of a mess - all of this has been lost, no more attention to detail. People just don’t remember how good it was back then because we’ve been accustomed to the iOS 7> way of things for over 4 years now.

Anyway, apologies for my rambling but that’s just how I see Apple now. They’ve completely lost focus for me and don’t sweat the details that once made them special and set them apart from the rest.

24. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502

Greenmeenie

I am hoping Apple will aqueeze an ipad mini update in there somewhere. Preferably sooner rather than later. Perhaps March. And if its not too much to ask, the ability to use an apple pencil on it. Heh heh heh.

25. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

I’ve tried the Pixel 2 and find Android inferior to iOS 11.2.1 on my iPhone X.

The screen on the Pixel 2 is bordering on horrible.