Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I have and also owned the last few nexus phones as well—warmed Over crap.

As for bias, Not nearly as much as you or the reviewer. Thanks for conceding the points with your ad hominem admission. Enjoy losing arguments much? That’s a rhetorical question.

Owww I see your views are based on owning an android device that is not the pixel... looks up definition of bias....

You think I'm bias cause I see pros/cons of both devices.... i see the problem now.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Owww I see your views are based on owning an android device that is not the pixel... looks up definition of bias....

You think I'm bias cause I see pros/cons of both devices.... i see the problem now.

I did and it referred back to your post. I played with the pixel. Subpar piece of junk. Oh, you must have looked in the mirror.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Tired of these long winded reviews/comparisons ending with its your decision.Don't compare the phone if you aren't going to give a winner. We all kn ow that there are two different OS's.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
@arn

so biased

this review SUCKS !

Hahaha really??? You are going to call out this sites founder as ‘so biased’ simply because someone posted a comparison review, you DO realise reviews are opinions right? And I bet you’ve never even seen a Pixel 2 XL have you? Yet you’ll proclaim it’s a biased opinion because it’s not YOUR opinion.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Tired of these long winded reviews/comparisons ending with its your decision.Don't compare the phone if you aren't going to give a winner. We all kn ow that there are two different OS's.

They have to do that otherwise the iPhone would win by default because of iOS. It hurts the Android guys feelings. We all know that iOS is far superior to Android but reviews have to pretend otherwise because they get flamed by the Android guys otherwise.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
My opinion of the Pixel 2XL is that the sub par quality of the screen is a door closer, regardless of how the rest of the device performs. Certainly with any hand held device, it’s the screen that you’re looking at and interacting with first and foremost.

If it’s grainy or has poor color rendering, it should shut down all other conversation points, because who would accept a device with a flawed screen? So the 2XL has a great camera...but don’t bother looking at the photos you take on your own device’s screen because it will not do the photos any favors. That’s sad.

Reactions: MrX8503

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
In the video of this MacRumors review, the author clearly states that he gets 7-8 hours of screen-on time with the iPhone X and 4-5 hours of screen-on with the Pixel 2XL.

I’m getting 8-9 hours of screen-on time with my iPhone X. As I type this on my iPhone X, charge remaining is 16% and screen-on time is 7h20m.

The video is wrong.. the iOS "usage time" is not SOT. I don't know why the macrumors guy who did the video is not aware of that.

I'm pretty sure the battery life on the X is great, but just for your information, it's not the same

Reactions: nzgeorge

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
It's fine until you need to message a friend who uses Android ;)
Fortunately that's just an US thing... No one I know ever uses iMessage.
People around the world use different messaging apps. From my experience most people in the EU use WhatsApp (even the old people ^^), or you just use the ol' SMS. No proprietary iMessage needed.

dukeOfPrunes

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Quite diplomatic review, especially in terms of ecosystems. But it lacked emphasis on several key iPhone/iOS features

-Force Touch. Superior and more versatile than squeezable edges (which I consider awkward gimmicky)
-Taptic engine
-FaceID is a major feature. Not only for security and convenience, but also third party apps!
-Dedicated telephoto lens with OIS is to my understanding superior for zoomed images, and offers advantages in for AR as well! Dedicated lens is better than software (although google seems to be slightly ahead in portrait mode processing)
-Wireless charging

Also, iPhone X has less bezels, is smaller, same or better battery, same or better performance. Better screen (may be fixed in XL).

What was it the 2 XL had again — 4gb of ram?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
The video is wrong.. the iOS "usage time" is not SOT. I don't know why the macrumors guy who did the video is not aware of that.

I'm pretty sure the battery life on the X is great, but just for your information, it's not the same

Due to iPhone (misleading) way of calculating usage time (which includes time when user is not using the phone), that is why many iPhone users think that they have superb battery life and all Android phones have lousy battery when compared to SOT. But this comparison is wrong.

To equate iPhone usage time to Android, we have add the time when Android is not in sleep mode.

e.g. for my S8+, I usually get about 6hr SOT over a period of 25-28 hours. So non SOT is about 20+hrs. Out of this 20hrs, the phone is in deep sleep about 70% of the time.

Using iPhone usage time calculation method, my usage time is SOT=6hrs + 30% * 20hrs = 13 hours "iphone usage" time.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I did and it referred back to your post. I played with the pixel. Subpar piece of junk. Oh, you must have looked in the mirror.

While the pixel has pros/cons it is not sub par junk. Have a good day
[doublepost=1510402352][/doublepost]
Hahaha really??? You are going to call out this sites founder as ‘so biased’ simply because someone posted a comparison review, you DO realise reviews are opinions right? And I bet you’ve never even seen a Pixel 2 XL have you? Yet you’ll proclaim it’s a biased opinion because it’s not YOUR opinion.

He he he , the problem is you, and a few others that just don't understand what bias means :) Not seeing any positives in a competing product is blatant bias !!!

It was a good review.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
  • Removed headphone jack after making fun of Apple...loses all credibility
Wasn’t it Samsung that teased Apple about removing the 3.5mm headphone jack?
Regardless, yes on quality. With only a couple of exceptions, iPhones have always been the Benz to Android-running Kias.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Android.. enough said, regardless how good the Pixel is. For me iOS is superior but each to their own.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
I think the real winner for me, is the iPhone X. Gesture control and Face ID are two huge capabilities that make the new iPhone X an entirely different experience.
Aren't "Gesture control and Face ID" just a result of Apple saying "erm, yeah, we don't want an ugly button"?

BetaRayBill

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
NJ
Ships with no operating system? Yes I hate trolls too... :rolleyes:

Oh look on the front page, a story about green lines on faulty iPhone X screens...

It’s not easy to blindly bash other phones these days when you support Apple only, because it’s own devices are far from perfect or free of defects.
From CNET
"As more consumers get their hands on the iPhone X, Apple's most expensive phone by far, various issues continue to emerge. Electronics warranty company SquareTrade demonstrated the iPhone X's fragility by scuffing and breaking its screen, and CNET's own test unit cracked on the first drop. Apple has also said that it will address reports of the X having issues while operating in cold weather through a future software update"
I know the Pixel 2 isn't perfect, but some of the X users should be careful throwing stones when they live in such a fragile glass house.

Reactions: nzgeorge

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
While the pixel has pros/cons it is not sub par junk. Have a good day
[doublepost=1510402352][/doublepost]

He he he , the problem is you, and a few others that just don't understand what bias means :) Not seeing any positives in a competing product is blatant bias !!!

It was a good review.

Awww, you mad bro? Bias is ignoring that the pixel screen is crap, that it doesn’t have an optical 2x zoom, minimizing that the iPhone lasts 70% longer on a charge, and that the pixel doesn’t get timely updates.

You know, what you and the reviewer do. That.
[doublepost=1510404192][/doublepost]
From CNET
"As more consumers get their hands on the iPhone X, Apple's most expensive phone by far, various issues continue to emerge. Electronics warranty company SquareTrade demonstrated the iPhone X's fragility by scuffing and breaking its screen, and CNET's own test unit cracked on the first drop. Apple has also said that it will address reports of the X having issues while operating in cold weather through a future software update"
I know the Pixel 2 isn't perfect, but some of the X users should be careful throwing stones when they live in such a fragile glass house.

The cold issue will be fixed in software. Agreed, the fragility issue is for real. This thing needs a good case. It’s fragile jewelry. You had more insightful analysis than the reviewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BetaRayBill

Zuniga

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
- similar price points
- $150 difference

pick one

Similar means resembling without being identical. It doesn’t mean to be exactly the same. So be cause both are priced high they are similar in that regard no matter what you are dropping some hefty money for a phone if it’s the iPhone or the pixel. Once the price tag starts to spike price similarities drift farther apart. If your buying a car for 27,599 or 28,999
The prices aren’t that far off compared to the high amount of cash that is already being spent if you buying a home 1.3 mil vs 1.2 mil homes are priced similar yet they’re 100 thousand dollars apart. Now you can feel stupid.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Don't now about the five years of upgrades but it is not relevant when you consider your iPhone will run like sh|t within two years because of battery degradation and updates on IOS which will slow it down significantly.

I️ see a lot more people using old iPhones than old Android phones.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Sure...Google's 2.0 product miraculously matches ten years of refinement/development of the iPhone. It's not believable, even if you're being fair-minded.

Yeayeayeas

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
Google: Green Line of Death. Not to mention if you live anywhere it gets cold, your screen will stop working. Ouch thats $1000 down the drain.

Last edited:

Zuniga

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
From CNET
From CNET
From CNET
You can’t count the iPhone being fragile as an issue to the iPhone X. The iPhone X is designed by a legit designer. Jony Ive is a legit artist he not only designs the iPhone but even all the Apple stores the campus’s he designs nearly everything in Apple he’s won plenty of design and art awards even one for designing a museum. He designs other products from time to time that are not Apple other buildings that are not apples. So yes the iPhone X is fragile it’ll break its made out of all glass besides the chassis. Of course it’s going to break it’s glass. But that’s not an issue with the phone because when your buying an iPhone you aren’t just buying a phone your buying a piece of art designed by a legit artist/designer. iPhone users do live in a glass house but it’s a darn beautiful one. Because the iPhone revolves around the smooth user experience and the exterior design in its products the price will show it. When your buying a iPhone X buyers need to understand they are buying a glass art piece that’s a cool phone. You can’t buy literal glass art and be upset it broke when dropped them call it an issue with its design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.