Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I use this at work for connecting an iPad to Ethernet. That's a bummer.

Is this a joke? lol.

I don’t have time anymore to read
Up on Apple updates.

Also not to mention all the memes and misinformation out there online makes my head cloudy.

I literally just yesterday purchased the aforementioned camera 3 Apple adapter in the main thread. My iPhone is at 16.4.1 (a) so I won’t be updating.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
It's so frustrating that they don't push the new security fix out as a Rapid Security Response. Now, unless the fleet of users I manage holds off on updating for days/weeks, all of our iPads will be vulnerable.
It’s 5am and I got to bed late (rewatched Heat with Al Pacino/Robert DeNiro… excellent film… forgot it was 3 hrs long) so can you clarify your wording here to me?

My understanding is that you’d prefer a Rapid Security Response pushed out for security fixes while skipping the superfluous additions including this adapter bug.

If so, why is your entire fleet vulnerable to security flaws “unless” they hold off for several weeks?

The only way my sleep deprived brain can reconcile this you’re saying “vulnerable” in relation to the adapter bug… but by not updating they would also still vulnerable to the security flaws for which you wanted the RSR, right?

Sorry if this doesn’t make any sense.

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Strange, SD card reader wasn’t working for a month or two there but now it works, yet this now doesn’t.

Excited for USB-C.

Reactions: Homme

kiv.atso

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2021
It hardly worked for me even before the 16.5 update, depending on the device connected ofc.

For example, it worked fine with my Cambridge Audio Hi-Fi amplifier but it didn’t work with Schiit Modi+ DAC.

The smaller Lighting to USB-A adapter works just fine with both.

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
What about all the "Beta Testers"? It's no use to bitch at Apple about this. They are aware of it now, and a fix will come.
They were aware about it before, as you can see in this thread one person alone from this thread reported it, who knows how many out of here did, too? Doesn‘t even matter.
They knew and didn‘t fix it, that‘s the tagline. It‘s been like this for the past few years

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
What is disappointing, actually, is not Apple QA, but that people jump blindly into subscriptions and gadgets which behave more like a service than like a product, and when they face reality (i.e: the lack of freedom inherent to services), they protest. Sorry, but that's what you bought: a service which you don't own. Get a real product (like a Mac), and you won't have these problems (well, that's it, until Apple turns the Mac into a service, which is their goal, they are pushing slowly but firmly, and will likely happen given the lack of resistance shown).

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
This is known as Eternal Beta, the state most software nowadays is in.
Well, it’s the state ALL software that’s being developed is in. :) And, for the software not being developed anymore, I guess it’s in perpetual beta because it’s GOT bugs, just no one around to care enough to fix them.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I keep winning everytime. Still on 15.7, I will wait until 16.5.1 before I upgrade my least critical device which is my iPad. Likely not gonna upgrade my iPhone X until 16.6.1.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
this is a prime example of why usb-c would be beneficial to iPhone. because users would not need to rely on a (broken) proprietary lightning solution made only by apple, and could instead use one of several usb-c based hubs that have Ethernet, hdmi, usb ports, etc.

The interesting part is the iOS kernel already supports such hardware like the Realtek gigabit Ethernet lan.

Usb-c full steam ahead!

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
It's so frustrating that they don't push the new security fix out as a Rapid Security Response. Now, unless the fleet of users I manage holds off on updating for days/weeks, all of our iPads will be vulnerable.
Am I missing something here? My understanding is iOS 16.4.1(a) was the rapid security response that had all the security fixes that later came out as iOS 16.5. As I understand, there are no additional security fixes included in iOS 16.5

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Well, it’s the state ALL software that’s being developed is in. :) And, for the software not being developed anymore, I guess it’s in perpetual beta because it’s GOT bugs, just no one around to care enough to fix them.
In earlier times when software mostly wasn’t distributed over the internet and new versions were only released every 2-3 years, more care (and time!) was taken to eliminate as many bugs as possible before the release, and after the release the software remained stable for a long time, with only remaining bugs being patched but no new features (and thus new bugs) being introduced. Eternal Beta means giving up on that quality standard, and, enabled by continuous distribution of new versions over the internet, fixing bugs while implementing new features (and adding new bugs) simultaneously, usually with higher priority given to the new features, resulting in an overall higher level of bugginess, and a lack of stability because everything continuously keeps changing. Known bugs are often consciously shipped under the pretense hat you can always fix them later.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Pretty much everyone on these forums, LOL. Check out the beta threads, this is where most of the action is. ;)
The betas will still be there with every point release. Of course beta threads would be busy, that’s where problems tend to show up.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Time to kill the Lightning port. With USB-C this accessories is totally not needed. Any card reader will do.

Guess what? Most recent iPads have the USB-C port already and have been supporting generic card readers very well.
So much faith on USB-C ports/plugs providing power. Were you around when USB A (regular USB) also provided power? It was not necessarily reliable, depending on the manufacturer and other factors that I don’t even know about.

Yes, in theory USB-C would provide the power. But a lot depends on other things…

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine

Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter does not work with iPhones and iPads that have been updated to iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5, according to several users across the MacRumors Forums, Apple Support Community, and Reddit.

Apple-Lightning-to-USB-3-Camera-Adapter.jpeg

The adapter has a USB-A port for connecting a camera, microphone, or other USB-powered accessory to an iPhone or iPad, along with a Lightning port for charging the iPhone or iPad. As of iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5, however, affected users say the adapter no longer powers any devices connected to both of the ports.

The issue is likely due to a software bug that will need to be addressed in a future iOS version, but the underlying cause is unknown. Apple seeded the first beta of iOS 16.6 to developers today, but the update is likely many weeks away from being released, so an iOS 16.5.1 update might be necessary if the company wishes to fix the bug sooner.

Apple released iOS 16.5 on Thursday following seven weeks of beta testing. The update is a relatively minor one, with additions including a Sports tab in the Apple News app, a new Pride Celebration wallpaper honoring the LGBTQ+ community and culture, and bug fixes related to CarPlay, Screen Time, and Spotlight. Apple is expected to announce iOS 17 with bigger changes during its WWDC keynote on June 5.

Article Link: Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter Not Working With iOS 16.5
Damn, and the price of these adapters😝

Reactions: klasma

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I hope you’re joking.

Neither Apple nor the E.U. want to “kill” Lightning.

-You will find all varieties of Lightning iPhones and accessories in stores up to and beyond the deadline for the switch.

Apple just isn’t allowed to produce and sell new Lightning-only iPhones post the deadline.

But all the Lightning products that hit stores before the deadline are completely unaffected by the legislation.

Additionally, Apple is free to ship all its outdated Lightning only products to countries like the U.S. and sell all its proprietary gizmos there until he’ll freezes over.

Either way, Apple most certainly won’t be blocking any Lightning products from operating to any extent.

This is just them not doing proper testing before releasing a new update.

Apple welcomes the day when consumers see the “get the new USB-C iPhones with USB 3.0 or better data transfer speeds. First time for iPhones -Wow!” headline all over the news and look to their old iPhones and realize they should upgrade from the decades old USB 2.0 tech that Lightning offers.

The shift to USB-C is an opportunity for Apple to get hundreds of millions to upgrade just to escape the proprietary hell that is Lightning.
I’m hoping that they make USB-C wired headphones like they did for lightning. I have some cheapo Samsung ones that work with my iPad but I’m wondering what will happen when the iPhone 15 comes out?

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Apple seems to have a lazy attitude when it comes to security. They have been security lucky for one reason only. The bad guys have not chosen to take advantage of Apple. A numbers game that played well for Apple in the past. Today a different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.