Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
You're here because of evolution. Are you superior?

No human is superior to another. Such things are a myth created by people who thought evolution proved racial superiority. Or even that evolution even proves races. It does not.

As I've said before the problem in this country is. whites were put in a false bubble of racial superiority. While the natural progression of other ethnicities were retarded.

And to the person who asked the question if whites will be treated equally when minorities are in power.

The answer is: by the time that happens. The majority of the population will not identify themselves by one ethnicity as we do today.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
No human is superior to another.

I agree with you. However, people who claim "institutional bias" are actually copping out by engaging in mere sloganeering. They're part of the problem instead of the solution.

Apple's entire Diversity Department is part of the problem, not the solution.

Again, I stand with Morgan Freeman on this. I see character, not color. I see people, not gender.

The grievance industry isn't about solving a problem. It's about not solving it so that the industry continues to thrive.

Imagine Apple employed only women. No men at all. If they're the best at what they do, I'd have no problem with it. Some people would. I'm not among those people.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I can't see Apple purposefully hiring anyone who isn't qualified. Apple looks for the best. Sure Apple will make a bad hire every now and then, every large company does. But I can't see them thinking "this person doesn't seem a good fit, but they'll boost our diversity quota, so let's hire them!"
But that's precisely what they do! Not all the time I'm sure, but I bet as soon as they get that call from HR reminding them of their slouching diversity number, all of a sudden the white candidates coming for their interview that day just had their chances of getting the job cut in half.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
I will never understand the significance of reports such as this. Yes, diversity is a wonderful thing and shouldn't even be an issue in 2016 - but surely the person most qualified should be given the job, regardless of whether they are black, white, gay, straight or whatever you like.

This is a point that I believe needs some emphasis. "Diversity" has turned into some code word for "unqualified minority". The fact of the matter is that most companies hire the most familiar candidate: meaning a friend of a friend, neighbor, or former colleagues of a current employee. If you have a candidate that has an employee that can vouch for them, you would certainly have leg up. This puts minority candidates at what I would argue is an unfair disadvantage. It's not an insidious plot to keep minorities out but it's a reality of most corporate hiring practices. There's a draw to going the easy route.

Unfortunately the result is a feedback loop that's difficult to navigate.

The most qualified applicant should receive the job. But if there are equally qualified applicants that don't hear about the position, or don't have a friend or someone to vouch for them in the company - it's a tough hill to climb. In many cases as a minority it's not enough to be "as good". You must be better in every measurable category to get the nod.

Reactions: 2010mini

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
But that's precisely what they do! Not all the time I'm sure, but I bet as soon as they get that call from HR reminding them of their slouching diversity number, all of a sudden the white candidates coming for their interview that day just had their chances of getting the job cut in half.

My God you are ignorant! The assumption that the white candidates are all qualified but only a few minorities are.
[doublepost=1470323953][/doublepost]
I agree with you. However, people who claim "institutional bias" are actually copping out by engaging in mere sloganeering. They're part of the problem instead of the solution.

Apple's entire Diversity Department is part of the problem, not the solution.

Again, I stand with Morgan Freeman on this. I see character, not color. I see people, not gender.

The grievance industry isn't about solving a problem. It's about not solving it so that the industry continues to thrive.

Imagine Apple employed only women. No men at all. If they're the best at what they do, I'd have no problem with it. Some people would. I'm not among those people.

Great. But history has shown the opposite. Whites were indeed favored over minorities for a large portion of this country's existence. To sum that up as "copping out" is frankly disappointing as I see you as intelligent.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
But history has shown the opposite.

Is history still the present? If it's still here, how did that happen?

To sum that up as "copping out" is frankly disappointing as I see you as intelligent.

I hate racism. I hate bigotry. I stand with those who want to end it. However, it really is a "cop out" to say there's institutional racism and provide no evidence to back it up. That's sloganeering and it's counterproductive.

Show me a racist policy or specific empirical evidence of racism and I'll stand with you against it. Otherwise, it's just the grievance industry doing what it does best: creating ghosts and boogiemen.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
You see what they do to whites in zimbabwe? O let's not talk about that , doesn't fit the anti white agenda

There is no way to condone racial violence. But we must understand why it happens so as to address the source.

I believe that in Zimbabwe, as well as anywhere else, racial violence against whites is the direct result of an (over)reaction to white oppressive, colonial, and/or imperialist (read: business capitalist) action and/or policies.

Make no mistake, white people "conquered" (a lot of) the world. The problem was that they did not allow the "conquered" to become equal citizens; whites of the time ( and some even today) actually felt superior, and this attitute has been in place for far too long (see Apartheid, etc). The cultural and economic consequences of this have and will continue to last over generations. Plural.

However, in many places the oppressed/disenfranchised/you-name-it, instead of seizing power and making things the way they should be, went completely the other way and are now guilty of the same stupid-ass behaviour.

Human beings and our evil nature at work.

As someone who is multi-racial and multi-ethnic, and having multi-racial and multi-ethnic children that vary in appearance greatly (white, brown, and unmistakeably black), I have a vested interest in driving a stake through the psychological vampire that we call racism. I am at war with it, from within and without.

How we win said war is NOT by taking (racial) sides.

Bob Marley described the problem (and the intellectual solution) in his song "War" quite perfectly.

Look up the lyrics (if you don't like reggae :D).

A monochrome world would suck. There is beauty to be loved in the differences between us.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

I hate racism. I hate bigotry. I stand with those who want to end it. However, it really is a "cop out" to say there's institutional racism and provide no evidence to back it up. That's sloganeering and it's counterproductive.

Show me a racist policy or specific empirical evidence of racism and I'll stand with you against it. Otherwise, it's just the grievance industry doing what it does best: creating ghosts and boogiemen.

Seriously? The evidence of institutional racism/bias is too long to list. But I'll give you one very disturbing fact:

80% of the time, qualified black jurors are turned away from serving as their white counterparts.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

I'm sorry, but it cannot be said that you hate racism and then try to shut someone up when they try to point it out. It is speaking from both sides of the mouth, as it were.

At least in the US, I could say with a straight face that if you are not white, you have all the "empirical" evidence you need. Seems you are white, so you need "proof".

Institutions are made up of people. Hiring decisions are made by people.

Again, people who are racist won't admit they're racists outright (unless they explicitly belong to a supremacist group).

The only visibility we have into the hearts of men is the result of their actions, i.e. these reports we're arguing about.

Racism is an internal disease. You can't spot it like the measels. You have to witness it.

These reports are the closest thing to empirical evidence we can get, flawed as they may be.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Seriously? The evidence of institutional racism/bias is too long to list. But I'll give you one very disturbing fact:

80% of the time, qualified black jurors are turned away from serving as their white counterparts.

Please start listing it.

Again, I stand with you against true racism. Unfortunately "Wolf" has been cried too many times and it has actually proven counterproductive to the movement to eliminate it.

Have a citation for that "80%" assertion?
[doublepost=1470325971][/doublepost]
I'm sorry, but it cannot be said that you hate racism and then try to shut someone up when they try to point it out. It is speaking from both sides of the mouth, as it were.

At least in the US, I could say with a straight face that if you are not white, you have all the "empirical" evidence you need. Seems you are white, so you need "proof".

I'm not shutting anyone up. Yes it's a "cop out" to allege racism without proof because it actually doesn't solve anything.

Facts don't care about your feelings, race or gender, or my feelings, race or gender. I know that contradicts your narrative but you'll have to deal with that.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Please start listing it.

Again, I stand with you against true racism. Unfortunately "Wolf" has been cried too many times and it has actually proven counterproductive to the movement to eliminate it.

I'm not shutting anyone up. Yes it's a "cop out" to allege racism without proof because it actually doesn't solve anything.

Facts don't care about your feelings, race or gender, or my feelings, race or gender. I know that contradicts your narrative but you'll have to deal with that.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/at-the-edge/2015/05/06/institutional-racism-is-our-way-of-life

SCOTUS ruled 7-1 on it for this case:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/us/supreme-court-black-jurors-death-penalty-georgia.html

I'm going to be very blunt... I don't have the time to list the issues you can easily find with a few mouse clicks. Suffice to say it is there. BUT..... Not every instance you hear is about bias.

Last edited:

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
And claiming there's a problem when there isn't one doesn't fix anything either.

I don't care that Morgan Freeman is a Black man. Apparently you're willing to use that as an excuse for dismissing the noteworthiness and validity of his quote on this. Why is that?
I dismiss its noteworthiness because it's a preposterous claim. My point was that people like you only think it's try twisting my words, though.

And I already explained why diversity is something worth addressing; evidently, you don't think having people from different backgrounds and of different experiences contributes to problem solving. You're entitled to believe as you please, you're just wrong on this point.

By the way, increasing diversity in the workplace doesn't imply lowering standards to do so. This an assumption made by people who view non-traditional tech employees (read: non-white, non-male) as inferior employees. All diversity increasing means is that companies make an extra effort to find qualified people of different backgrounds. They cast a wider net to find these people, that's all. Everyone of the people hired are still extremely qualified.

P.S. You don't know how straining it is to have people [who don't experience the things you do] always questioning your life experiences, as if you just make up problems for the hell of it. It would be great if you start from a place of empathy and willingness to understand, instead of a place of extreme skepticism.

Last edited:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Please start listing it.

This has nothing to do with "feelings".

You are asking for evidence of racism.

How exactly can it be provided? Where and how was "wolf" been cried, in your experience?

What do you consider proof of racism?

Should us non-whites start wearing hidden go-pros when we go into interviews, restaurants, stores, dealing with the police, just so you can have your evidence??

Diversity in the workplace, and lack thereof, is evidence enough.

The fact that you require all this "evidence" means that you and I are nowhere near the same stance against racism. Stop kidding yourself.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
I dismiss its noteworthiness because it's a preposterous claim. My point was that people like you only think it's try twisting my words, though.

People like me? What about people like me?

And I already explained why diversity is something worth addressing; evidently, you don't think having people from different backgrounds and of different experiences contributes to problem solving. You're entitled to believe as you please, you're just wrong on this point.

No that's not what I think. That's what your narrative requires you to believe I think.

By the way, increasing diversity in the workplace doesn't imply lowering standards to do so. This an assumption made by people who view non-traditional tech employees (read: non-white, non-male) as inferior employees. All diversity increasing means is that companies make an extra effort to find qualified people of different backgrounds. They cast a wider net to find these people, that's all. Everyone of the people hired are still extremely qualified.

I support increased competence in the workplace from all backgrounds.

P.S. You don't know how straining it is to have people [who don't experience the things you do] always questioning your life experiences, as if you just make up problems for the hell of it. It would be great if you start from a place of empathy and willingness to understand, instead of a place of extreme skepticism.

Unfortunately the grievance industry has lessened the credibility of many legitimate complaints about racism. Skepticism is healthy. Denial isn't. I'm not in denial. I think I'm more willing to see things from your point of view than you are willing to reciprocate. That's too bad.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
People that think like Morgan Freeman on this issue; don't try to make more of my words than is there. I inferred that that is what you think based on your posts.

And you certainly are in denial; because if you were just being skeptical, you would have done the reasearch on institutional racism. Instead, you pretend it doesn't exist and place the burden on regular people to explain it to you because that supports your worldview. The evidence is out there, if you are truly interested in learning about it.

Anyway, I think posting here was a waste of time; I don't know why I bother sometimes.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
This has nothing to do with "feelings".

You are asking for evidence of racism.

How exactly can it be provided? Where and how was "wolf" been cried, in your experience?

What do you consider proof of racism?

Should us non-whites start wearing hidden go-pros when we go into interviews, restaurants, stores, dealing with the police, just so you can have your evidence??

Diversity in the workplace, and lack thereof, is evidence enough.

The fact that you require all this "evidence" means that you and I are nowhere near the same stance against racism. Stop kidding yourself.

Over 90% of the people in jail are men. Is that because the system is sexist against men?
[doublepost=1470330939][/doublepost]
People that think like Morgan Freeman on this issue;

I'm sure we're a diverse group. That's what you're referring to right?

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Oh yeah, just look at all that diversity. It's a veritable United Colors of Benetton ad.

k4bfjn.jpg

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Your assumption that the diversity that you are seeing is not merit based is a good place to start.

A friend of mine owns a web development studio. He's got a government mandate to have a pants to skirts ratio. Almost all his employees are men, and almost all his job applicants are also men. When I say almost all, the number is about 95% or higher. Women rarely apply.

I took a web development program in college a few years back that lasted two years. There was only ONE woman in our class and she dropped out 2 months into the program.

Now ask yourself; If there's essentially a 50-1 ratio of men to women for a job, why does my friend HAVE to hire the woman? What are the chances that the woman will be more qualified for the job than the 50 men that have applied?

You're speaking as if all women are more qualified when greatly outnumbered. Of course, this doesn't mean women can't be qualified, but the odds are greatly against them.

Now ask yourself this; suppose you DO hire the woman based on your sexist view to pander to women just because they're women and have an equal 50/50 split of men/women. What happens when you've run out of women to select and all that's left is men?

Now another question:

Do you complain about the lack of men in certain fields like nursing?

There's a reason why women aren't in certain fields like STEM; they simply don't want to. I remember Milo Yiannopoulos once mentioned that in countries where women we're given the choice to work in any field they wanted they still chose the stereotypical fields.

One of my friends, a Persian woman along with her friend we're the ONLY females in the entire Engineering program in one of the top universities in the state, a program of about 300 people and only TWO women, despite no barriers being present for women to take part.

This whole 'diversity' crap is extremely sexist, it's essentially a feminist backlash but nobody questions it because feminism cannot be challenged, just like religion; it's as much a shield as it is a weapon.

What you also may not realize is that hiring women simply for the fact that they're women is really insulting to women. It suggests that they're inferior and deserve a handout where as I'm pretty sure most people, women included, would like to think they're being rewarded for their competence. What diversity does it create a sense of entitlement rather than making women strive for greatness.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
. . . . I agree that requirements to hire a percentages are silly. But there is a difference between requirements and goals. It should be every companies goal that their employees represent a proportional slice of the population from which they draw. That goal can be achieved in many ways that aren't setting a requirement. . . . . .

Even as a goal, percentages are discriminatory. I see that you don't mind being a racist, sexist, etc. and that said discrimination is justifiable because it happened to others in the past. For me any racism, sexism, etc. is not acceptable. Period. But percentages are only an excuse to allow discrimination and further the divide between classes of people. Sure its is an easy metric. The problem, that metric is garbage. Hiring just one person to better the numbers is discriminatory because it means you hired them because of their race, gender, etc. Hiring or not hiring a person because of race, gender, etc. are both discriminatory to the person not hired.

It is pretty easy to review resumes and the reviewers notes to determine if the reviewer was discriminatory. There never are two candidates that are equal except for race, gender, etc. Each has a different personality, ability to communicate, ability to work under stress, knowledge, skills, etc. So yes, this is a hard problem. But it is not a problem fixed by simple percentages.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
A friend of mine owns a web development studio. He's got a government mandate to have a pants to skirts ratio. Almost all his employees are men, and almost all his job applicants are also men. When I say almost all, the number is about 95% or higher. Women rarely apply.

I took a web development program in college a few years back that lasted two years. There was only ONE woman in our class and she dropped out 2 months into the program.

Now ask yourself; If there's essentially a 50-1 ratio of men to women for a job, why does my friend HAVE to hire the woman? What are the chances that the woman will be more qualified for the job than the 50 men that have applied?

You're speaking as if all women are more qualified when greatly outnumbered. Of course, this doesn't mean women can't be qualified, but the odds are greatly against them.

Now ask yourself this; suppose you DO hire the woman based on your sexist view to pander to women just because they're women and have an equal 50/50 split of men/women. What happens when you've run out of women to select and all that's left is men?

Now another question:

Do you complain about the lack of men in certain fields like nursing?

There's a reason why women aren't in certain fields like STEM; they simply don't want to. I remember Milo Yiannopoulos once mentioned that in countries where women we're given the choice to work in any field they wanted they still chose the stereotypical fields.

One of my friends, a Persian woman along with her friend we're the ONLY females in the entire Engineering program in one of the top universities in the state, a program of about 300 people and only TWO women, despite no barriers being present for women to take part.

This whole 'diversity' crap is extremely sexist, it's essentially a feminist backlash but nobody questions it because feminism cannot be challenged, just like religion; it's as much a shield as it is a weapon.

Superbly put.

The diversity pushers just can't accept that men and women have different preferences when it comes to different kinds of jobs. Any job that doesn't have 50% of each is suspect in their eyes. It's bonkers, but that's the upside-down world we live in today.

Reactions: PBRsg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.