Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Correct. NM is just unofficial branded PM since they don't officially support mac yet. It will also use PMs profile directory. Your terminal string is also correct for creating a new profile. I would remove 27.2.1 yes, as it will share NM27.9.4s profile, bookmarks and add-ons otherwise and can't be run at the same time as NM.

cd /Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/ (hit enter)
./palemoon -P (hit enter)

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: RobJos

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
On ppc64 linux, is there a way to get around the "...could not be installed because Arctic Fox cannot modify the needed file" error with extensions? I can't install any extensions at all and get this error every time.

Reactions: z970

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
If they are palemoon addons there should be no problems. Only some FF addons have issues. I don't have a pure ppc64 machine to test those contributed builds for ppc64. It could be something related to what they disabled at build time, but I can't say for sure. Also be aware that AF doesn't support jetpack or web extensions in case you are trying to install those. I'd ask xeno74 or power progress if they also have that issue, because the official ppc32 builds do not.

Cheers

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
If they are palemoon addons there should be no problems. Only some FF addons have issues. I don't have a pure ppc64 machine to test those contributed builds for ppc64. It could be something related to what they disabled at build time, but I can't say for sure. Also be aware that AF doesn't support jetpack or web extensions in case you are trying to install those. I'd ask xeno74 or power progress if they also have that issue, because the official ppc32 builds do not.

Cheers

Actually, I just came back to say that I figured it out. AF in ppc64 only has issues with extensions that need to be unpacked. I went into about:config and changed extensions:alwaysUnpack to true, and now they work.

I'm actually running Debian sid in sort of a hybrid mode, with a 64-bit kernel, but I don't think it's pure 64-bit, as powerprogress doesn't work, but the fienix repo and deb-multimedia (which also doesn't work in ppc64) does. Pure ppc64 is a crashtastic mess on my DC 2.0 G5. In any event, it's blazingly fast and I'm digging it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and wicknix
@wicknix:it happened again, CPU at ≈100%. So presumably nothing related to that piece of malware (which anyway was Windows stuff). However, it seems to have happened late, close to shutting down time, while I was busy with another application. At any rate, it remained like that while I was closing all opened tabs except the pinned ones (all were apparently inactive) and other applications besides Activity Monitor. Which AM showed a surge to ≈180% when I quit AF, then returned to ≈100% while AF was “not responding”. This lasted for maybe half a minute, upon which AF crashed. Until this began I've had AF crash only once or twice since I started using it.

Launching it this morning I found that the cache was once again filled to the max. 350Mb, still pretty abnormal IMO in the course of a day or two. I can't see how tracking down a possible rogue addon should be feasible, as FECT needs repeated relaunches and these reset the CPU usage. Else, could it be due to a javascript being blocked, or one not being blocked?

It's really not constant at all. At this instant, a couple of hours after booting up, and having spent all that time in AF, with the Finder as the front application AF's CPU use goes down right away to ≈9%.

If of any use, and if you're interested (but I'd understand if it's asking too much), I have last night's crash report at hand. If so, where should I send it? Zip or rar?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You can just private msg me through the forum and attach the file. Just curious if this also happens in NM? They are essentially the same, minus the last 7 months of updates to AF.

Cheers.

You can just private msg me through the forum and attach the file.
Hmm, I'm kind of new here… Is that what's called “Start a New Conversation”? If so do I use your alias or your member number?
Just curious if this also happens in NM? They are essentially the same, minus the last 7 months of updates to AF.
That would be difficult for me to test, as I can't even test it in AF. Like, this many hours after my post, the CPU abuse hasn't manifested itself yet.

Qobuz, that's not functional. The problem here is that I cannot sign in as a user: the login page barely moves, gets back right away to where it was. Same thing in NewMoon, basic no-frills installation with uBlock Origin disabled, except that it says it cannot connect to the <grrr>captcha server</grrr>. No such notice in AF, I'd hate to say I'm missing it. Now, the very curious thing is that it's still working perfectly well in ol'Firefox 45.9 ESR. And even curiouser: without any captcha request !!!
@wicknix: I haven't had any other cases of captcha-related stuff that works in Fx but not in AF nor in NM, so am I right in inferring that Gg denies access to their damn captchas (and therefore to whatever function they are allegedly protecting/obstructing) when it runs into browsers that have blocked fingerprinting? If so, how gracious of them. It would also seem to indicate that it's the user (= the site) that determines what criteria Gg craptcha will go after. Not that I'm in the least asking you to unblock fingerprinting — but could it easily be toggled, at least to test this idea?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Sure. Easy toggle. Go in to about:config and search dom.canvas, or just fingerprint, or canvas. Double click to change from true to false. I'm at work on my phone so I can't look to see the exact line to change.

Cheers

Sure. Easy toggle. Go in to about:config and search dom.canvas, or just fingerprint, or canvas. Double click to change from true to false. I'm at work on my phone so I can't look to see the exact line to change.
I'd rather test it NM, but I found no "dom.canvas" and no "fingerprint" there. As for "canvas" there are 5 entries = false, too many to experiment. No rush, I'll wait until you get a chance.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ah ok. Well NM has fingerprinting disabled by default, AF has it enabled by default. So if your in NM you would see all false. I'll still look for the line tonight when I get home.

Edit: or vise versa. ;)
Cheers

Ah ok. Well NM has fingerprinting disabled by default, AF has it enabled by default. So if your in NM you would see all false. I'll still look for the line tonight when I get home.

Edit: or vise versa. ;)
Hmm, but in NM i'm getting the same non-result with the fingerprint testing site as with AF here. amiunique.org does work in FX though, even after denying access to Adobe's geo-location. I'll probably be sound asleep when you get off work, so that you know that it's not like I don't appreciate.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Btw, it's OT but...
I see mentioned Riccardo Mottola. If he's the same one I know from the GNUstep project, Cheers to him !

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I'm getting an error after updating from 27.9.15 to 27.9.16 on my G5:

Code:
<jemalloc>Compile-time page size does not divide the runtime one.
/usr/bin/arcticfox: line 3: 10762 Segmentation fault      GTK_DATA_PREFIX=/usr/lib/arcticfox/theme ./arcticfox

I also get the error with New Moon, Spiderweb, and Spidermail on the same machine (DC 2.0ghz G5), but the second line just says "Segmentation fault" in those cases. I tried both 32- and 64- bit versions. The 64-bit versions won't even run (no such file or directory error). The 32-bit version segfaults. 27.9.15 from the fienix repo works fine, but the standalone versions segfault as well.

EDIT: the Ubuntu 12.04 version of 27.9.15 standalone runs fine.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Try this version. http://www.xenosoft.de/arcticfox-27.9.16-ubuntu10.04-powerpc.tar.bz2
He disables jemalloc in his rebuilds. Seems debian is quirky and requires that disabled as well. The odd thing is for some debian users my builds work fine with jemalloc enabled. So I'm not sure if it's just a missing package between debian releases or what. Anyway, give that build a whirl. :)

Cheers

Yep, that one works. I'm glad that it crashed with a message this time, so there was no big mystery as to what the problem was. The same builds that croak on this G5 work fine on my G4s, so there you go...

Thanks!

Reactions: wicknix

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@wicknix I'm on ppc64, so it's probably not going to work. ;)

In other news, I'm going to tell PowerProgress about the new Palemoon and Spiderweb options, so they can build on Debian ppc64, and host it on their repositories for easy access.

At least, when I can get to it.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ok. Well due note that i had to modify pale moon 28 / uxp's source to build for 32-bit. I removed all references to sse/sse2 and replaced -m64 with -m32 in a slew of makefiles. The original Pale Moon 28 will compile fine out of the box on ppc64 (once you swap in the correct icudt58b.dat). Otherwise it crashes until you swap in the big endian icudt58b.dat and replace the little endian icudt58l.dat. If they for any reason want 32-bit specific builds, my modified source is here:
https://github.com/wicknix/UXP4PPC32 otherwise they can just use the proper 64-bit repo here:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP

Cheers

Reactions: z970

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Reactions: z970 and wicknix
[SIZE=4][I][B]@wicknix[/B][/I][/SIZE] — in expectation of the next update, a few items:

a. Glitch. On this page (it's in German, but don't be afraid ;)) there are some fields to enter code, name & mail address. You get them in NewMoon (w/ or w/out addons), in Firefox 45.9, in Waterfox and in Chromium, but not in ArcticFox. Note that the site appears to be conceived without scroll bars, so you've got to mousewheel up & down.

b. Screens. Using two screens: A (MacBook Pro main) and B, and running AF on screen B. If I drag an open tab outside of the Tab bar (to create a New Window, in order for example to compare the contents of two pages side-by-side), the new window always pops open on screen A. Same behaviour in NewMoon. This is not the case in FX 45.9: the tab opens as any New Window next to the original one. There is a workaround of sorts in the Tab Context Menu called Duplicate to New Window, which also opens on screen B, but then the original tab is still there (as such not a great deal).

c. Title Bar saga. After copying/pasting the contents of AF's main profile to a NewMoon profile folder, the TItle Bar is absent at launch. In normal, Remember History browsing in AF, it requires to by now routinely press Opt/Alt+Ctl+T to have it show up. However, I have set NM to always open in Private Browsing, and in this case there is no way I can bring the Title Bar to life.

d. Master Password. Can AF be set to automatically request the master password at launch? It always did in FX, but here in AF it's a bit random whether it does or not: it seems that a tab that has a call for authentication must open before it does. Apparently not just any site, as this behaviour causes me a bit of hassle with one particular login page (user name a/o pwd don't come up automatically).

Else,

e. Modifying or disabling menu entries, shortcuts etc. (asked about here): the miracle addon Menu Wizard from the Classical Add-ons Archive.

f. The Captcha Damnation. A possible solution is the Privacy Pass addon, of all places suggested by Cloudflare on a site it “protected”. I can't tell how useful it is, as it's not for AF. Anyone out there who might think of porting/forking it?

Best, Robert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.