Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
@wicknix — in expectation of the next update, a few items:

a. Glitch. On this page (it's in German, but don't be afraid ;)) there are some fields to enter code, name & mail address. You get them in NewMoon (w/ or w/out addons), in Firefox 45.9, in Waterfox and in Chromium, but not in ArcticFox. Note that the site appears to be conceived without scroll bars, so you've got to mousewheel up & down.

It works perfectly with ArcticFox on my iMac.

f. The Captcha Damnation. A possible solution is the Privacy Pass addon, of all places suggested by Cloudflare on a site it “protected”. I can't tell how useful it is, as it's not for AF. Anyone out there who might think of porting/forking it?

It's not realy a damnation, a little complicated I'd say but it works.

Some rare sites don't display some items, my electricity provider (edf) displays everything in my account but the case to fill my consumption report. Only way, go tho the MacBook Pro Mavericks of my wife.

It works perfectly with ArcticFox on my iMac.
Thanks, Motard fou, that helped, but in a funny way. Reflecting on the fact that the only difference between my AF and NM installations is that the latter is set to always launch in Private browsing mode, I tried the site in a Private window in AF. And, lo and behold, as some people might say, it worked! Only wicknix can reveal to us the magic behind it all.
It's not really a damnation, a little complicated I'd say but it works.
In AF? Where did you find a version of Privacy Pass for AF? At that Mozilla link I get: “This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 48.0). You are using Firefox 27.0.”
Some rare sites don't display some items, my electricity provider (edf) displays everything in my account but the case to fill my consumption report. Only way, go tho the MacBook Pro Mavericks of my wife.
I s'pose you're referring to the first point again. Yes, things not working in our Snowed-in Leopard often do work in my partner's Waterfox/Sierra, but as a very last resort: usually I manage to resolve them in Firefox 60+/Lubuntu. It's just that Linux is so clumsy, if for no other reason the fact of having to be hyper-attentive using Windows instead of Mac helper keys.

[P.S. You'd think that EDF had figured out data transfer over the power network?]

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
Thanks, Motard fou, that helped, but in a funny way.

Happy for you :)

In AF? Where did you find a version of Privacy Pass for AF? At that Mozilla link I get: “This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 48.0). You are using Firefox 27.0.”

Captcha for me deals with a procedure to check we aren't a robot (Terminator ?).

To get through that I've to select certain pictures, It doesn't work at the first try, I have to select one or two more set of pictures but it always ends. On my MacBook Air El Capitan a simple green confirmation gives me the next page.

I s'pose you're referring to the first point again. Yes, things not working in our Snowed-in Leopard often do work in my partner's Waterfox/Sierra, but as a very last resort: usually I manage to resolve them in Firefox 60+/Lubuntu. It's just that Linux is so clumsy, if for no other reason the fact of having to be hyper-attentive using Windows instead of Mac helper keys.

I'm not a geek but I think that websites have several ways to check the f... SSL stuff not only the useragent. On my PowerBook G4 I use Leopard Webkit which gives me a kind of El Capitan Safari but sometimes I can't access some web sites for that reasons. Tenfourfox do better in that cases, but slower.

[P.S. You'd think that EDF had figured out data transfer over the power network?]

I tried to access my report case by disabling everything (ublock origin, cookies, etc.) but no way. I didn't find a solution under Snow Leopard (ArcticFox, NewMoon, Tenfourfox G3, Tensixfox 45.9 ESR, Firefox 45.9 ESR or 48.0.2).

I think it's because of the f... evolution of javascript or other things where Snow Leopard is out. No problem, I go in better places, except for EDF.

HTTPS Everywhere is one of these add-ons that needs to be installed via Moon Tester Tool. So you uninstall your HTTPS Everywhere first, then install Moon Tester Tool, go to about:addons > Moon Tester Tool, from there you can select the file for https-everywhere-5.2.21.xpi from your harddrive, which then will be installed.

Totally by accident I have just come across these two entries in the console:

Warning502.jpg
Warning.jpg
that appear to indicate that HTTPS Everywhere is not working properly, or at all. Does anyone know how significant this is? Latest version is 5.6.1, a WebExtension addon - not for us.

And, another question for the Wise Ones here on this list: in the process of cleaning up and still a bit stuck in my oæd Firefox habits (NoScript! and Adblock Plus) — does it make any sense to use both Adblock Latitude and uBlock Origin in AF?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@RobJos Regarding a) glitch. That should be fixed in the upcoming 27.9.17 release. :)

Also i have an idea for your "stubborn" sites... This is what i do on my snow leopard installs. Grab yourself VirtualBox, then search the web for MicroXP v0.82. Install this stripped out XP (250mb installed), then go get yourself the unofficial winxp port of Pale Moon 28. Now you have a much more capable browser to use when needed. Yeah, i know it's not workflow friendly, but if you just run vbox in windowed mode, say 800x600, and full screen the browser inside that window, it looks and acts just like a native browser.

Cheers

Not when you can use eMatrix to have the functionality of both and more. ;)
Thx but no-thx. It was discussed here and here, and in this respect I pretty much up on the same wavelength as madbiker31: ηMatrix is just too overwhelming. Sometimes it may not sound like it, but I'm actually trying to make my life less complicated...

[Next day] For what it's worth, I'm now reading this on uBlock's GitHub page: “To benefit from uBlock Origin's higher efficiency, it's advised that you don't use other inefficient blockers at the same time (such as AdBlock or Adblock Plus). uBlock Origin will do as well or better than most popular ad blockers. Other blockers can also prevent uBlock Origin's privacy or anti-blocker features from working properly.”

[doublepost=1557510153][/doublepost]
Also i have an idea for your "stubborn" sites... This is what i do on my snow leopard installs. Grab yourself VirtualBox, then search the web for MicroXP v0.82. Install this stripped out XP (250mb installed), then go get yourself the unofficial winxp port of Pale Moon 28. Now you have a much more capable browser to use when needed. Yeah, i know it's not workflow friendly, but if you just run vbox in windowed mode, say 800x600, and full screen the browser inside that window, it looks and acts just like a native browser.
Disclaimer: wicknix, you must know by now that I'm more than grateful for every bit of advice of yours. The last thing I want is to sound like I'm despising any of it, but as I just said my goal in life is not to make it more complicated. So, sorry, but I'm passing on this one.

Remember that as far as my experience with AF goes those “stubborn” sites are very, very few, barely a handfull, and that in certain cases the reason I'm reporting some of them is to make you aware of shortcomings more than because I can't live without them (not the banks, of course.)

Even if Lubuntu/VirtualBox (+ latest Firefox versions) is almost as fast as the Mac OS, I'm often driven up the wall by the disrupting interface, the 1280x1024 screen (worked with large screens for too long, maybe), and not least the guest<-->host clipboard interaction that only works when it feels like it. No way then that I'm going to go back to using XP, up to 15 years ago or so painfully emulated in VirtualPC, then in Parallels (back in the days when online banking had never heard of the word Mac.)

Last edited:
Reactions: wicknix

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
@wicknix Thanks for your work and your information.

As usual Arctic Fox 27.9.17 32B works, not any problem at launch, first visit, here ;)

I'll try to fight with captacha later, I'll report as any other usefull remark.

Edit : I forgot to say that I disabled all add-ons in 27.9.16 before launch 27.9.17

Last edited:

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
Arctic Fox 27.9.17 has been released.

Unfortunately AF 27.9.17 64Bit doesn't launch at all on SL 10.6.5. I read the notes regarding common crash on first launch with this version, when there is already a profile with add ons. But it is not done with "4-5 times reopening" after crash.

I also tried to launch with scratch profile via terminal, AF crashes there too, terminal put out something like "illegal instruction".

wicknix, I will PM you with the crash report.

Yes, as per wicknix's warning, there were a series of crashes (same sequence as back when I had imported the profile from Firefox, so at that point there was no panic yet). Then AF opened in Private browsing mode, but I'd lost about everything: pin tabs, AF's preferences, addon settings, interface theme, toolbar and status bar interface, search engine settings, etc. etc. (but not the bookmarks nor the extensions themselves).

I'm going to have to try madbiker31's recipe (@madbiker3: did you just re-enable the addons afterwards and that was it?), or then maybe figure out how to use the backup extension FEBE. A bit unfortunate because right now I'm very short of time. And if those don't work it's going to take days to set up everything back from scratch. Not really looking forward to it.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@Dronecatcher : Could you do me a favor and try the 32-bit version? I'm just wondering (because i have 2 different mac build machines for32/64bit) if it's just the 64-bit version at fault. I only use the 32-bit version myself because it supports loads more plugins (because most are 32-bit) and it's been solid. Same with the linux builds. No crashes. If i can narrow it down to a specific build it might help with debugging.

Cheers

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
I just launched the 27.9.17 64B everything is OK because I already used the 32B version I guess.

I confirm all my preferences set didn't change 27.9.16 32B => 27.9.17 32B and 27.9.17 32B => 27.9.17 64B including add-ons for the second test.

Now I'm back to 27.9.17 32B, 64B is in the Applications File in case of.

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi All,

I released Arctic Fox 27.9.17 for old Linux PowerPC distributions like Ubuntu 10.04 or higher yesterday.

Download: arcticfox-27.9.17-ubuntu10.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

For Ubuntu 10.04: You need to install the GCC 4.8 and the libatomic1 via the repository 'ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test'.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test

Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8

For Ubuntu 12.04: You need the libatomic1 package. Download: libatomic-ubuntu12.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

Please copy the file 'libatomic.so.1' to '/usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/' with the following command:

Code:
sudo cp libatomic.so.1 /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/

Screenshot of Arctic Fox 27.9.17 on Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS PowerPC:

Cheers,
Christian

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Rebuilt the 32-bit & 64-bit mac versions and uploaded. Profile/crash issue *should* be solved. Thanks for the reports/feedback.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: RobJos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.