Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
After clean installing 14.04, I believe I figured it out.

The problem wasn't uMatrix or outdated plugins, it was the lack of codecs.

Neither Arctic Fox .17 or Firefox 47 would play any video, but after installing VLC, which automatically installs all required codecs along with it, I could start watching video again in Arctic Fox (very smoothly, might I add), much like the TenFourFox MP4 libraries.

While I was in 12.04 and made that last post, I had already installed VLC and at that point, only uMatrix was getting in the way, blocking the scripts, media, etc. So of course when that was removed from the equation, there was nothing stopping playback.

I shall add all of this to the record.

Last edited:
Anyone aware of an YouTube video download extension that's still functional?

Hadn't happened in a long time, but apparently YouTube is at it again. Last night, the Saveclipbro.com YouTube Multi Downloader script (under GreaseMonkey) stopped working brutally, giving a 404. Domain URL says “Project closed”, or something of the kind.

Just tried three other scripts from the Greasy Fork website, two give an error, one does not work at all.

“Complete YouTube Saver”, from the Pale Moon addons, doesn't work either, or at least I can't find its icon once it's installed. For that matter the developpers have posted that they are re-writing it from scrap.

Btw., Epic's YouTube video download function stopped working in the course of the past week, but gradually so.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Anyone aware of an YouTube video download extension that's still functional?

Hadn't happened in a long time, but apparently YouTube is at it again. Last night, the Saveclipbro.com YouTube Multi Downloader script (under GreaseMonkey) stopped working brutally, giving a 404. Domain URL says “Project closed”, or something of the kind.

Just tried three other scripts from the Greasy Fork website, two give an error, one does not work at all.

“Complete YouTube Saver”, from the Pale Moon addons, doesn't work either, or at least I can't find its icon once it's installed. For that matter the developpers have posted that they are re-writing it from scrap.

Btw., Epic's YouTube video download function stopped working in the course of the past week, but gradually so.

Viewtube still working (just tested it in NinjaKit)

http://sebaro.pro/viewtube/

Reactions: dextructor
Last edited:

Navy-Brat

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2019
Hi Wicknix:

Do you have a private email address that we can contact you with? I'm having some trouble with ArcticFox logging into a public library and really don't want put its login url in a public forum.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Just send him a private message.

Use the "Start a New Conversation" option under the Conversations icon (envelope) next to the Notifications icon (flag).

Reactions: Raging Dufus
Can Spotify's web player be enabled in AF? The instructions here (Firefox tab) don't seem to be related to anything I can figure out. In case the page is only accessible for registered users, this is what it says:

Click Enable DRM in the yellow warning bar at the top of the screen.
If you do not see the yellow bar, you may enable the DRM with these steps:
1. Enter the following into your browser address bar: about: preferences#content.
2. Under DRM content, make sure Play DRM content is enabled.

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Can Spotify's web player be enabled in AF? The instructions here (Firefox tab) don't seem to be related to anything I can figure out. In case the page is only accessible for registered users, this is what it says:

Click Enable DRM in the yellow warning bar at the top of the screen.
If you do not see the yellow bar, you may enable the DRM with these steps:
1. Enter the following into your browser address bar: about:preferences#content.
2. Under DRM content, make sure Play DRM content is enabled.

No - there is no solution for PPC.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
There's an issue with a Mac specific patch that's holding up .18's release, but for the eager beavers on PPC Linux i just built a "pre-release" version from our master branch. Give it a spin. If anything, you might notice some javascript improvements. Currently around 200 bug fixes have to been added at this point in time.

Download (PPC Linux only): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLmKz0vTD_ErmAutTgRPIpgqblI_jlry/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
There's an issue with a Mac specific patch that's holding up .18's release, but for the eager beavers on PPC Linux i just built a "pre-release" version from our master branch. Give it a spin. If anything, you might notice some javascript improvements. Currently around 200 bug fixes have to been added at this point in time.

Download (PPC Linux only): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLmKz0vTD_ErmAutTgRPIpgqblI_jlry/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

Thanks wicknix for your great work :) May I ask if there is hope for an updated PowerPC version for OS X? I love ArcticFox on Tiger and Leopard it is so fast and in comparison to other browsers the CPU doesn't immeadiately reach 100% load.

Reactions: RobJos

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin

Cheers

It works without any problems on ubuntu MATE 16.04.6 LTS PowerPC on my A-EON AmigaOne X5000 (Non-AltiVec, 64-bit kernel with 32-bit userland).

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Hi guys,
Am I the only one seeing the red exclamation mark on macrumors https padlock? Sorry if it has been asked before.

Screen shot 2019-08-03 at 4.24.09 PM.png

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@snowy moon @madbiker31 those forums are working ok for me on powerpc linux. However i'm using a mobile user agent. You can try this as a general.useragent.override or the site specific override : Arcticfox/27.9.17 (X11; Linux ppc64; Mobile) . Let me know if that works.

Cheers

EDIT: Tested on Mac. It works with the mobile UA above. In about:config add general.useragent.override.forum.manjaro.org with Arcticfox/27.9.17 (X11; Linux ppc64; Mobile) and it works ok.

MobileUA.png

Last edited:

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
Yes it works with mobile UA, thanks! Though mobile view of Discourse is only half of the fun ;). There is a lot of JS, that deals with navigating scroll position and search function etc.

I changed the UA a little bit to Arcticfox/27.9.17 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:3.4), which shows more of the forums layout, but JS still seemed absent.

So question remains, why older PaleMoon works with these forums and AF not…?

EDIT: Tested on Mac. It works with the mobile UA above. In about:config add general.useragent.override.forum.manjaro.org with Arcticfox/27.9.17 (X11; Linux ppc64; Mobile) and it works ok.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
So question remains, why older PaleMoon works with these forums and AF not…?
Good question that i really don't have an answer to. AF's JS has been slightly updated from what shipped with PM27. In theory this shouldn't happen. I'll make note of it and add manjaro's forum to our list of test sites that we use after patches are applied. On the upside, while not optimal, a mobile layout is better than a blank page. ;)

Cheers

Reactions: snowy moon

juancarlosonetti

macrumors member
May 5, 2019
Spain
@wicknix, I have a G3, and it seems like the processor cannot cope with Arctic Fox or Pale Moon. They work, but really slowly.

SpiderWeb, on the other hand, works like a breeze, and it is a pleasure to use. I have two questions about it.

The browser does not seem to be able to play videos. On YouTube, for example, the player works, but there is no video, just the loading dots. Can this be because the browser has been built with Altivec in mind? Do you think video would work if I compiled it on a G3? And would any of these browsers have better performance if I compiled them myself?

And the second question is about the extensions, how easy is it to port extensions to SpiderWeb? I have tried installing Pale Moon extensions, but the browser tells me they are not compatible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.