Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying the new Apple TV (2015)?

• Yes (it's perfect and has everything I ever wanted)

Votes: 182 59.9%
  • Maybe (still waiting on international pricing, more details and reviews)

Votes: 70 23.0%
  • No (it doesn't meet my needs, my roku is better)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • No (it doesn't meet my needs, my fire TV/stick is better)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • No (it doesn't meet my needs, my nexus player is better)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (I'm sticking with my older Apple TV 2 or 3)

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • No (I just use my smart TV)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • No (I use my Xbox 360 or Xbox one)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • No (I use my play station 3 or 4)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • No (I'm waiting for more apps and streaming services to be released)

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The ability to add apps is the big selling point. I have said this from the first time I heard the rumor of being able to add applications. Having Plex and now VLC. That is all I wanted and I have a feeling the more apps that are made available will be icing on the cake! I can't wait to get it!!!!

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
If Amazon and Flixster develop apps for their streaming services on the new :apple: TV, then I'm likely to pick one up. Even though they both support AirPlay from their iOS apps, I'd like to see them have native apps on the set box.

If I end up getting one, it'll likely be the entry model w/ 32gb.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'll wait for the 4k version next year

I think it's going to be more than a year, but when it comes out and I have a 4k TV by then I'll buy it, too!

Right now it doesn't look like I'll have a 4K TV this time next year. First, the 4K content explosion that was forecast in 2014 to occur in 2015 didn't happen, and my favourite model line has now gone AndroidTV which means no sale to me. So 4K is really not a hot topic for me right now.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Does anyone know whether the new Apple TV has HDMI CEC? They never put this in previous gens ATV.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
There is probably a 10% chance I buy it when it comes out. I would like something with Airplay to use to stream music from my phone and could come up with a bunch of other uses to justify the Apple TV, but I'm not sure if it is more of a priority than the other things on my "to buy" list.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
I think Apple have made a terrible error in not offering 4K on the new Apple TV. I think they will lose out in a big way to Amazon, who do on the new Fire. I was going to buy an Apple TV at one point but ended buying a refurb (it actually seemed new) 2011 Mac Mini as a media server, which does so much more than Apple TV, e.g. watching Sky TV in France from my UK Sky account via a VPN. I have a Philips 49" 4K TV in France and am considering an Amazon dongle for it. With a bit of luck the H265 codec will make downloading a 4K movie just an overnight job (I have a 22mbps connection). I have seen 4K movies at shows and they are stunning.

bleachy dude

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I voted yes, but it certainly isn't perfect or even everything I wanted in this generation Apple TV.

However, I use Netflix and Hulu and I think the Siri search and across apps search functions will be an improved user experience. It will be interesting to see what developers can do now that it has an App Store.

Just wondering what 'Australia Tax' will be applied to the cost. Plan is to buy on day one pending.

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
So if I have a 4k tv with built in Amazon, Ultraflix and Netflix that can stream in both 1080p and some content in 4k, is there any compelling reason to buy this iteration of the AppleTV. I ask this sincerely. I currently am using Comcast's X1 service which is pretty darn good for cable. I suppose if I can watch better streams of channels that I watch frequently, that would be good but I'm guessing they would be mostly subscription based. If there was a way to validate your account with Comcast and use the ATV rather than the broadcast channel, I'd use that. VUDU's app on the TV works well too for 1080p rentals and purchases.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I answered Yes, even though it didn't really express my opinion. I WILL for sure buy it. But no, it's not perfect. Nothing is perfect. It is sufficiently better than the current model at a decent price point. The poll is seriously flawed.

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
I just looked at the specs for Amazon Fire TV.... it's got 4k and better audio codecs. The ATV has more built-in memory but the AFT has a micro USB slot for expanded memory. I can't imagine owning something other than the ATV, but I purchased a 4k set and the Amazon device looks pretty good for $100.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I voted yes, but it certainly isn't perfect or even everything I wanted in this generation Apple TV.

However, I use Netflix and Hulu and I think the Siri search and across apps search functions will be an improved user experience. It will be interesting to see what developers can do now that it has an App Store.

Just wondering what 'Australia Tax' will be applied to the cost. Plan is to buy on day one pending.

I agree. This and the ability to add apps are two huge things. Before they announced the search, I was happy to get the addition of adding apps. But add this to it. Sold for me and here is also hoping Apple opens it up so that it will be able to search across more than just the apps and content they mentioned in the demonstration. I know they mentioned and soon others. Here is hoping it is blown wide open!

Reactions: bleachy dude

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Are you buying the new Apple TV (2015)?

I'm still on the fence. Specs wise I think it's perfect. Pricing is too high in my opinion (more than double the price of the current one). I'm sure in 6 months or one year it will really be useful when the App Store is more developed and we finally have more streaming services.

I have the (old) ATV3. If all you want to do is stream Netflix, I would buy the ATV3 for 1/2 the price, and, wait for the ATV5, which should be due in-- 2018? 2012? The new ATV is twice the price and yet still not suitable to be a big part of a complete new home entertainment system.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I'll wait for the 4k version next year

The driving force for the move to HD was that Broadcast TV switched fairly rapidly to the HD format. I don't see that happening anytime soon as far as 4k is concerned. I'm not sure that the bandwidth exists for that switch to take place yet. I can see a 4k Apple TV in a few of years only because the cameras in the iPhone have only now started to accommodate the format. Even then the amount of storage capacity required to store 4K video is still very high not to mention all the knock on effects that has for streaming and cloud storage.

calden

macrumors member
May 23, 2012
Switzerland
I'm sticking with my Nvidia Shield, it's just a fantastic device. I will also never again own a TV set-box that I couldn't install Kodi on. It's just the best thing I have ever used on a TV, period. Not only do I have access to every TV channel in my country for free, but also from any other country that I want to watch TV from, which right now consists mostly of US, UK and Australian channels, super awesome. I also now have about 30 4K movies with that number increasing weekly). That and I really like being able to use my replica N64, Sega Genesis and Playstation 2 USB controllers with the emulators, as well as my new Logitech ConferenceCam Connect with Skype, Hangouts and BBM, an external 4TB HD, SD CARD's, Logitech diNovo Mini Keyboard with touchpad (great for surfing and replying in forums), etc. I also really like the game selection for the Shield, with games like Crysis 3, Doom 3, Portal, Half Life 2, etc. it just blows away these mobile games. I can also stream games directly from both my PC (love playing GTA V and TitanFall on my TV) and directly from Nvidia's Grid (which has a huge selection of great games).

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
No, I won't. I have had too much bad experience with ATV and homesharing in the past. I will seek a different solution for my media.
As of today, my ATV3 bricked when doing a firmware update...... :(

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The driving force for the move to HD was that Broadcast TV switched fairly rapidly to the HD format. I don't see that happening anytime soon as far as 4k is concerned. I'm not sure that the bandwidth exists for that switch to take place yet. I can see a 4k Apple TV in a few of years only because the cameras in the iPhone have only now started to accommodate the format. Even then the amount of storage capacity required to store 4K video is still very high not to mention all the knock on effects that has for streaming and cloud storage.

In a few years? Apple will sell millions of iPhone 6S's that shoot in 4k and they're going to wonder why their fancy new Apple TV is only doing 1080p

Give it an year, technology doesn't move as slow as you think especially when the public stars to demand it from Apple

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
In a few years? Apple will sell millions of iPhone 6S's that shoot in 4k and they're going to wonder why their fancy new Apple TV is only doing 1080p

Give it an year, technology doesn't move as slow as you think especially when the public stars to demand it from Apple

I didn't say that technology moves slow. Clearly the technology is already there. It's the adoption of that technology that is the sticking point. Note Apple has never supported Blu-Ray even though the technology has been there for a long time and Apple users have been asking for it for a long time. Apple will support 4k on the Apple TV when they think that adoption of the format as a standard matches it's real world usage.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I didn't say that technology moves slow. Clearly the technology is already there. It's the adoption of that technology that is the sticking point. Note Apple has never supported Blu-Ray even though the technology has been there for a long time and Apple users have been asking for it for a long time. Apple will support 4k on the Apple TV when they think that adoption of the format as a standard matches it's real world usage.

By your own logic Apple wouldn't have had 4K footage being available on the 6S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.