Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
As far as I’m aware iMessage uses data, so it makes sense that only one line will be able to use iMessage and the other line only SMS. When you choose which line you use for data, you are also choosing to use that line for iMessage. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I’m guessing you’d be able to use iMessage on both lines if connected to WiFi.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
While you are correct about iMessage using data but otherwise the rest is completely incorrect.
You can have data from any sim or you can disable data altogether but iMessage works fine with whatever line you choose.
You can have data from A iMessage from B vice versa or no data at all just WiFi and still iMessage from one or the other.
Apple so far designed this way on purpose for no apparent reason.
In fact because iMessage uses data you should be able to have 100 lines if you really want. Like your other iCloud signed in devices. It’s not even sim related at all.
I think Apple and carriers are interpreting this feature a bit difeo Apple is doing this for travelers where you go to another country and want to use your original iMessage number without having to pay roaming fees just
As far as I’m aware iMessage uses data, so it makes sense that only one line will be able to use iMessage and the other line only SMS. When you choose which line you use for data, you are also choosing to use that line for iMessage. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I’m guessing you’d be able to use iMessage on both lines if connected to WiFi.

Reactions: M.Rizk

jekim

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Nope, if you don’t use a second sim no need to use esim.
[doublepost=1544141730][/doublepost]

Thats what I have is xfinity for backup. It’s only $2.50 a moth for unlimited min/text.

That’s exactly what I want to do...but my phone is locked so it won’t work until I pay this off.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I believe that I finally was able to activate my primary line on my eSIM. Is it normal for it to show as secondary?

I was also told by a different AT&T representative that the ICCID doesn't show as active on only wireless number .. I am still in shock that most of these representatives seem clueless.

I am able to talk, text and surf the web without a physical SIM card in the slot.

You can change it to anything you want under settings cellular.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Does anyone have 2 lines on ATT and if so, are you using NumberSync with both lines?

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
ATT and eSim are horrible. I signed up for a number last night and it never connected. I canceled the service today, I’m having VZW swap my number over to the eSim and getting Xfinity instead.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I went into an at&t store today and asked about esim and they said it’s only for new lines. I can’t convert my existing line to an esim. I mean how stupid are these guys.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I went into an at&t store today and asked about esim and they said it’s only for new lines. I can’t convert my existing line to an esim. I mean how stupid are these guys.
Yup they are it’s actually unbelievable.
Keep going, keep calling you’ll get it done eventually.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Do tell, I don’t see what you are describing

Ahh I believe this is because I only have one plan, I had AT&T move my nano sim line to my esim

Think you have to have another sim in the phone to be able to change the label.

Go to settings then cellular and you should see options to change labels.

Last edited:
Reactions: thenumbersrbad

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So you'll never know someone called the other line unless they leave a voicemail?

If that's the case it is useless to me.

Depending on your phone carrier. If your carrier gives you alerts of missed calls when your phone is off, then you will get alerts of missed calls when you are currently on the other line. Every dual standby phone is like this.

My other carrier tells me I missed a call after I hang up the call, but not during.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
So you'll never know someone called the other line unless they leave a voicemail?

If that's the case it is useless to me.
Well that’s the limitation of Dual standby technology. All phones suffer from that unless it’s dual sim dual active but then your battery would be dead in half the time which would be more useless.

Reactions: internetrando

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Well, I finally found a store that was willing to work with me and go through the process of activating the eSIM.

I had to visit four different AT&T stores before finding one that had any idea of what the **** they were doing or talking about.

Simple process once they actually sat down and took the time to read the information that was being provided to them by AT&T corporate. I am shocked at the amount of misinformation and stupidity at the store levels in how this process works and how to implement it. They can't say that they didn't have advanced notice of the features and time to develop and train everyone on how it works.

In any case, it is working (flawlessly, I might add) and I am happy with the results.
[doublepost=1544575340][/doublepost]
Well that’s the limitation of Dual standby technology. All phones suffer from that unless it’s dual sim dual active but then your battery would be dead in half the time which would be more useless.

This is very true. It has some potential negatives, but nothing I care about. It was a game changer for me.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have gotten three eSIMs from Apple Stores and there was no problem activating any one of them. I honestly don't know why AT&T stores are still so misinformed.

yisroel1

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
So. I have an Iphone Xs with a Sprint physical Sim and just got ATT to activate a esim as secondary line. Has anyone confirmed that "Cellular Data Switching" works? That's when your on one phone line, it will use data from the other line for internet. I've tried everything, but when wi-fi calling is off for both lines and LTE is Data Only (Not VoLTE) for both lines, when I am on either phone line, I have no data = Cellular Data Switching not working. Any ideas?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
ATT & Veeizon have to explain how to activate the e-sim. Calling tech support at these carriers is useless as they are not even sure
Give it a little time and it will be advertised everyware

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I had to visit four different AT&T stores before finding one that had any idea of what the **** they were doing or talking about.

Did you go to corporate owned stores or authorized resellers?

If you went to four different corporate owned stores then that is bad, really bad.

However if you are going to authorized resellers, I find them to be beyond useless. I do not see how any authorized resellers stay in business except as money laundering fronts.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I have a question on esim. My cell number gets used by work for after hours calls. I would like a 2nd phone number to use for personal. I’d like to utilize esim for this so I don’t have to purchase a 2nd phone. I am with ATT so if I’d like a 2nd number, I have to add a line to my current account? What does that cost? I basically just want a 2nd phone number, that’s it..

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I have a question on esim. My cell number gets used by work for after hours calls. I would like a 2nd phone number to use for personal. I’d like to utilize esim for this so I don’t have to purchase a 2nd phone. I am with ATT so if I’d like a 2nd number, I have to add a line to my current account? What does that cost? I basically just want a 2nd phone number, that’s it..

Well for starters you need one of the new iphonex, XS/Max or XR. Move your personal line onto the esim and have your work line as a physical sim and you are good to go. Pricing will depend on your plan. Do you already have a plan? Do you want a new line?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.