Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Nobody wears their watches to bed, so why not just include wireless charging?

Anyway, I have a feeling this product will the 'iPod killer'. The Shuffle, Nano, and to a lesser extent the Touch are used primarily by people that are into exercise. If the iWatch contains a pedometer, heart rate monitor, and a Music App, than we can say goodbye to half the iPod range.

I'm still not sure how much appeal this product will have outside of fitness junkies, but I'll refrain myself from being skeptical until I know what other features it has.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i hope they will make it flawless to make me drop my Longines watch
so a product like this could not be under 600-700$

ja71

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
I just don't get smartwatches

With the use of smartphones people hardly use a regular watch these days.Why would you need a smartphone and a smartwatch?(anyone who has both please feel free to enlighten me!)

If i'm going to buy a watch I will save up and get something that is classic that I can pass down to future generations not something that is going to be out of date after a year.

It seems to me that all the smartwatches just do (poorly) the exact same functions of a smartphone-why do you need text alerts to your wrist if your phone is in your back pocket?

Don't get me wrong I love innovation and new technologies but this seems like a colossal waste of time

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Citizen and others do it with success. It will charge from available light, indoors or out. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word solar.

i know this is a 1/2 joke, but im rocking a Casio Oceanus with solar. Charges from sun and artificial light. Of course that works due to the face of the watch being able to house a solar panel, but i'd say there should be enough room around the bezel of an LCD watch to fit one.

I suppose it was barely a half joke. My watch charges by harnessing wrist movements (go ahead an insert a joke right there) which is great, but the power required to keep a simple timepiece running is quite a bit lower than that required to power an OLED screen and all the motion tracking, bluetooth etc. I suspect it would be the same issue for solar - benefits would be negligible even if the whole strap were a solar panel.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Just what I want. A watch that looks like it belongs to a nerd. Make a smart watch that looks like a real watch and they will sell millions.

Exactly.
Having to wear a smart watch that looks like a wrist-gadget for a 10-year-old (like they look like right now) isn't very appealing to many...

Is a wrist watch a piece of jewellery with some functions or is it a functional object for on the wrist?

I just hope that if Apple really makes the iWatch, they will have "jewellery" in the back of their mind...
They generally make stuff not for nerds...

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
i know this is a 1/2 joke, but im rocking a Casio Oceanus with solar. Charges from sun and artificial light. Of course that works due to the face of the watch being able to house a solar panel, but i'd say there should be enough room around the bezel of an LCD watch to fit one.
screw solar power, i say put a nuclear reactor on that thing!

Agreed. Apple are not going to release a dud product / a watch that has 2 or 3 days battery life.

Time is on their side, there is no hurry to get the watch out.

not really. When you got competition putting out new smartwatches everyday and when you have the whole stock market impatiently waiting for your next move/product since they're already quite sceptical about your future innovations...well lets just say that time is the last thing that apple has right now ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, Apple is finally facing the crunch

Took their time...

OLED ..... trade off battery life vs better screen..

However, it IS only only a wrist watch basically with over the top features. who's exactly gonna know or even care how good the screen is on a watch face ?

Its a watch, not a piece of jewelry.

Besides, you iPhone is more important to look at anyway.

Its good to know Apple is caring about screen technology, but seriously, aren't they going over-board.... ? All watches scratch, and they'll probably also try ad make it "scratch resistant" and etc, like they "have" to...

To me, i don't really care on the screen quality, i don't admire a watch, i just look at it to tel time or do what i want with it...

If you need a good display, get an iPhone ........

On the plus side of this, battery life exceed everything to Apple, so it would be interesting to see just how much they can please the customer with OLED AND top battery life..

Personally though, i have an iPhone.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Why do you buy products you don't use?

At least he's honest about it. We spend a lot of money on things that we don't need, but (pure) tablets and toys like the AppleTV fall in the category of mostly useless things - especially when you own a notebook or desktop machine.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
The day a breakthrough in battery technology arrives, that will be a good day.

It's a good day then... well when these bad boys arrive...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22191650

Charges in a instant. 10x more powerful. When this was announced they were talking smart phone batteries 2mm thick that last for a week and car batteries the same size as a tesla running for 2000 miles. Now that will be a good day.

AlexLamPhoto

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Danville, CA
APPLE is LOOSING FACE

I think Apple scare because Samsung bumping hard on their ads on their WATCH and almost everyone I mean 80% of the consumer buy it with their Galaxy Phones... I even ask my sister why don't wait for the iWatch and her respond was nah take too long for the wait....

Well I think TIM waisting a lot of time by concentrating to the lower end products on popular consumer I mean Cheap Bastard like Walmart or maybe Dollar store and don't care about making a fine piece of technology, we all miss Steve Job if he still alive I can tell he will not waist his energy on that type of consumer :mad:

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
Why can't it have solar charging to supplement the battery?
Yes! I read that kinetic charging could be an option as well.

Just my guess, but both solar and kinetic charging use considerable space and produce very little power. That power is enough for a conventional watch (which alternatively could run for a year on a little button cell battery), yet on a hungry smartwatch it might just add a few minutes to its two-day runtime. All else remaining equal it would likely be better to drop the supplemental charging feature and increase that 100 mAh battery instead.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Smartwatches are not the next big thing.

People should not be wearing watches at all.

The wristwatch is going the way of the pocket watch. It will be interesting to see in movies.

I know a geeky site like this is going to have more than it's fair share of empathy challenged visitors. But, is it so hard to understand that different people have different requirements and just because they're different from yours doesn't make them wrong?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This idiot product will never see the light of day. Its just Apple spreading misinformation to mislead Samsung. Just like that big-ass iPad.

I somewhat believe in this theory. Although the big iPad may turn into something else I don't see the iwatch coming to reality any time soon.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm still not convinced by this wearable tech. As far as it goes for me is a normal watch.

mygoldens

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2005
Maybe Apple needs some HELP

Maybe they should talk to Samsung, I have the gear and it works GREAT!

Apple are you LISTENING!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.