Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
iPhone X no contest. The ONLY Android device that is remotely compelling is the Pixel series. Raw Android, and software updates directly from Google annually. Plus it’s a damn good smartphone. But, there’s no android device that could pull me away from even my 7 Plus at this point.

Reactions: troubleonline

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
iPhone X no contest. The ONLY Android device that is remotely compelling is the Pixel series. Raw Android, and software updates directly from Google annually. Plus it’s a damn good smartphone. But, there’s no android device that could pull me away from even my 7 Plus at this point.
Sad to see you can't see past the apple symbol of all the better devices like the note 8.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Sad to see you can't see past the apple symbol of all the better devices like the note 8.
Better devices are a matter of perspective and from my perspective the iPhone is the best phone for me. There’s too many benefits using iOS. And from a usability perspective I don’t see the benefit or any advantage in using Android. I’ve had Androids, actually used them for a few years.
[doublepost=1506218227][/doublepost]For what it’s worth, I have used my friend’s Galaxy S8+ and while the screen is larger and more vibrant than my 7 Plus, I did not prefer it nor could I tel much of any difference in sharpness. Maybe I don’t have good enough eyes to see the “huge” difference between 401ppi and over 500ppi, at least at viewing distances typical of usage.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
After waiting for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X keynote, I decided on the Note 8. Set it up yesterday and it is a beauty. Has the features I like from my 7 Plus - fingerprint scanner, home button, and NFC payment (Samsung Pay) with the Infinity Edge AMOLED and no camera bump. When this thing is playing video in landscape on a 6.3-inch display, the quality is insane. I'm reserving a bit of judgment regarding the X notch but fullscreen playback is definitely not compromised here.

I definitely did not want Face ID to be the only login method and swiping up each time to go home rather than using a button seems odd, particularly when the X has a lengthier display to incorporate a virtual one. Went two years with iPhone and now I'm back on Android. I'll wait until next year to see what the next X has to see if I'll head back.

My experience kind of mirrors yours. Waited for the Apple keynote to see what the next round would be. The X is not appealing. I would not want to be part of Apple's "all in" on FaceID experiment for my ONLY means of unlocking other than PIN. The notch is also. And the fact that its a single smaller device... why not an X+... maybe without the notch. Oh wait, that will be 2 years out probably. If I got anything Apple this round it would be an 8+ and it was simply not much of a difference from my 6s+... a bit bored with the same old some old.

I bought the Note 8 a few days after the Apple keynote. I was a little worried about it since my last and only Android experience was horrible - Galaxy S5. I was pleasantly surprise in how far things have come. It took me just a few hours of YouTube videos to be fluent, and each day since brings more pleasant surprises at what this thing can do. My whole family uses iPhones, so that was also a concern but not proving to be that big of a deal.

So a couple of reasons why I'm happy with the Note 8 choice
  • Its the size of what an X+ might be... bigger screen, and great size for my hands
  • Headphone jack - I have about $600 in e sets of Bose headphones that I use on long haul flights... want a wire
  • Fingerprint scanner - the position on the back is not bad... just a muscle memory thing
  • Screen/Camera - about a wash
  • Showing two apps at once... this is turning out to be pretty useful
  • S-Pen - this is a lot more than what I thought it was... more and more into my workflow, especially with the Surface Pro also having a pen. Just one simple thing of being able to take a quick note on it while its still turned off is brilliant for errands.
  • Gear S3 - this was the one that shocked me. I really didn't want to give up the Apple Watch, but I like the Gear S3 a lot better for what I use it for.
  • Android vs. iOS - I'm having fun learning what all I can do with it after being in the walled garden for so long. I was quite bored with iOS

Reactions: Demo Kit and ABC5S

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I wasn't going to buy the iPhone X in the first place, but I feel the same.
128GB is also the sweet spot here, I have no clue what I'd do with 256GB, especially with the new picture/video format that halves the file sizes.

Eddie3345

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2016
Portland ,OR
Ok lets break this down
Go X and get external HD maybe 3TB and send pics and vids to there...? now your 64 won't be bogged down...?

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Iphone x. But only because I don't like huge phones. I'll see what samsung brings to the table with the s9 to choose my next phone for 2018. Iphone X or Samsung galaxy s9.

Last edited:

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
For me I feel like the Note 8 is a better looking phone. The X definitely seems like a 1st gen product. I don't like the design of it either. So i'm going for an iphone 8+ and we'll see what next years iphone OLED models look like.

Next year iteration of the X will look exactly the same.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
After watching PhoneBuff's shocking results between Note8 vs 8 Plus, go with the Note8.

For me personally, I don't like curved displays. Since Note7, they haven't been as pronounced but I still don't like it or their jank software. Just looks good in promo shots. The X notch could be the same way where it can get annoying over time.

I will say this about Samsung. I do like how fast their phones get after updates. My S7e on 7.0 started to be as fluid as my other phones after a recent security patch update. I also love Samsung Pay thanks to MST which is way more accessible than NFC with Apple Pay and Android Pay.

I will just wait on the Galaxy X. And no, Samsung isn't copying Apple again. Galaxy X was the rumored name last year. People thinking foldable screens is pointless and gimmicky can't comprehend that it can be folded multiple times.

You need to rid of that Nintendo DS/flip phone design out of your head. A screen folded multiple times can look totally different. Since OnePlus 3 kicked butt last year and Note8 has kicked butt this year, 6gb RAM should be bare minimum on Android flagships moving forward.

Reactions: Demo Kit

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
iPhone x. I actually a thought I was a huge fan of the Note 8 until I saw it in person. Really ugly phone, far prefer the S8+ if I had to choose a Samsung.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I have been using an LG V30 for about a week now, and I think I could be just fine with that until the next iPhone.

I think I might very well skip the 8/X season.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

This is my mindset as well. The X looks amazing from all the hands on picture I’ve seen, easily the best looking phone out there. I was expecting more from the Pixel line this year, but I think they are onto something. If I didn’t prefer iOS, the pixel line is probably the only other phone I would consider due to the things you mentioned.

Reactions: GuruZac

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
The note 8 is a gorgeous device. It is the only phone that nearly swayed me. I want to use the s pen but I don’t think I actually have any need for it. I’d be taking it out to use it for no reason just because I had it.

For the price I wish they kept touchid somehow or a bigger device overall but seeing all of the tech in the X and seeing actual pictures and videos of the device I will try to get one on launch day.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
iOS is superior to Android hands down. Buy your self Samsung, Google or LG phone, but you’ll be stuck with poorly coded and poorly optimized Android OS.

Good luck.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
iOS is superior to Android hands down. Buy your self Samsung, Google or LG phone, but you’ll be stuck with poorly coded and poorly optimized Android OS.

Good luck.

iOS is poorly designed with its unnecessary complications of simple things and purposefully dumbed down of essential functionalities leading to confusion, inefficiency, unorthodox workflow, inter-operability issues and last but not least poor usability.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I'm all ****ed up into the iOS system; trapped like a rat. Note 8 is too big anyway.

But I haven't seen the Note 8 up close, maybe it's a stunner? Samsung does make cool stuff. But another thing. I've been seeing these X billboards EVERYWHERE. This has an effect on me. I have a weak mind.

So I have no choice really. That's over with. :)

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
iOS is poorly designed with its unnecessary complications of simple things and purposefully dumbed down of essential functionalities leading to confusion, inefficiency, unorthodox workflow, inter-operability issues and last but not least poor usability.
Honestly, I’ve never met a person who felt the iPhone was complicated. That’s why people like iOS right? Because it’s an easy UI to use. What’s dumbed down? Nobody here says iOS is perfect. Have a look at the iOS 11 threads. However, your post is obviously 100% your opinion and not based on fact so I really can’t respond directly. If you prefer Android, or downright dislike iOS, fine. Your choice. But why spend a minute of your time bashing iOS on an APPLE WEBSITE?

Reactions: ke-iron and I7guy

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
IMO the only thing keeping iPhone from being the perfect device is non expandable storage. It kept me from migrating to Apple for the first few generations, and is still a small annoyance.

LA_LEE

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
Los Angeles
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

Apple has billions in cash because they have convinced a large pool of people to overpay for their products and to upgrade them every year as if that was "normal"...well guess what, it is not normal at all.

This latest iOS is proof of this shady business practice. Crapware is more like it. Beta...whatever, they had a year and an army of beta testers and this is the best they can do! I am not impressed.

I have an iPhone 7 and it will be my LAST iPhone I can assure you. I pity those who have more money than common sense and will gladly bend over and grab their ankles again and again and again...must enjoy it. Not me...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Honestly, I’ve never met a person who felt the iPhone was complicated. That’s why people like iOS right? Because it’s an easy UI to use. What’s dumbed down? Nobody here says iOS is perfect. Have a look at the iOS 11 threads. However, your post is obviously 100% your opinion and not based on fact so I really can’t respond directly. If you prefer Android, or downright dislike iOS, fine. Your choice. But why spend a minute of your time bashing iOS on an APPLE WEBSITE?

Isn't this a X and Note comparison thread? I'm just responding to that poster that the flip (iphone) side is also true (and maybe worse too :) ). If you want examples of what I said, I can give that too.

Strange thing is if you have read my posts in other threads I have given many examples to back up my assertions but I rarely see concrete examples from the iPhone side. Many a times it is just those one liner (bashing) rhetoric.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.