Best Mouse for games

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by slinky1, Oct 3, 2008.

1. slinky1 macrumors member

Looking at a new mouse for my Mac.Spotted on the Razer site,the Death Adder.Forget the name,but it seems this is a 5 programmble mouse with USB connection but i have never come accross this company before. I need a mouse that has more than 2 clicks and a scroll ball as i already have a Mighty Mouse.Does anybody know this company?I'm based in the UK,but it seems that if i'm in Europe, i carn't purchase direct.
    This would be for gaming,because i have had a lot of trouble with my mighty mouse with RTS and RPG games especially.

Any other makes would be helpful.Found the Razer death adder reviewed on the "Inside MacGames"Site.

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I've noticed that all of the gaming mice, with their stylized designs, always feel REALLY CHEAP when in my hand.

I would stick with Logitech personally, or Microsoft's normal higher end mice, if they are more comfortable, because a good mouse is a good mouse regardless. Focus on how the mouse feels in your hand and its weight -- which some gaming mice will allow you to adjust.

I've had my MX1000 for 5 years now -- I think, maybe longer -- and it still works great. Very precise and fast.

Driver support for Logitech is better than the Microsoft mice on the Mac side., so that's also something to consider -- as an example, MS's mouse control panel under OS X, does not allow something as simple as assigning the thumb-button to a middle mouse-click, but it can do son under Windows.

Avoid Bluetooh and stick with RF, if you go wireless. Bluetooh is much slower and drains batteries faster.

I'm not sure any other mouse has a scroll ball? As far as I know, this is unique to Apple's EVIL destroyer of ergonomics, the Might Mouse. :eek:

Something I deem as very important for any mouse is a comfortable thumb-button. I used it for all middle-button activity, weather It's in my 3D applications, or in a game like WarCraft 3. It works great for panning the screen around.

This gaming mouse doesn't feel cheap, if you must have a mouse with the gaming title; :)
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/187&cl=us,en

It's based on the old MX 500 design, I had a MX 700, but I don't like its feel as much as my MX 1000.

Anyways, don't be swooned by the gaming title. Focus on any mouse that fits your hand and has the buttons you want.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Driver support is actually pretty irrelevant, as you can use a 3rd-party utility like Steermouse. (I have that; works nicely...I do the same thing with the thumb button.) Razer is pretty well known and people seem to like them, though I have a Logitech MX518, which I'm pretty happy with, even if it could be a tad smaller.

--Eric

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I wouldn't call it irrelevant, when 3rd party solutions cost extra $$$.

You're also relying on a 3rd party individual to keep their software up to date, where as Logitech as an example supports all of their mice and offers yearly updates at no additional cost.

But if you know of a free app that will allow me assign the middle click to my thumb-button on my one Microsoft mouse, I'd be interested? My VX400, which I used on the go, isn't the best for gaming and my MX 1000 stays here, since it requires a base receiver.

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Logitech v470.

No USB port wasted, 6-month battery life, fast tracking for Bluetooth, Mac support, $40 on Amazon.

6. imassents macrumors 6502

Razer Pro|Click 1.6 (same specs as a Diamondback)
    http://www.razerpro.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=45

Razer Deathadder (I don't own one)
    http://www.razerzone.com/p-124-razer-deathadder-mac-edition-gaming-mouse.aspx

I game a fair bit (mostly RTS & FPS) and have been using Razer mice for the last few years. They are great (I have 2 x Diamondback's, a Pro|Click 1.6 and a Copperhead across my computers). Their drivers are quite impressive and their support is really good. I dislike Logitech/Microsoft due to their lack of non-ambidextrous shapes.

It'd take a fairly impressive mouse from Logitech/Microsoft to persuade me back to them.

7. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

8. siorai macrumors 6502

Logitech G9. Ugly as hell, but easily the most comfortable mouse I have ever owned. That reminds me, I should really go buy another one or two so that when and if this one dies, I have a backup. :D

9. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

MIGHTY MOUSE!!!!

lol not really, it does the trick, but I find that the range is not that great (2 feet, and youll start to feel mouse lag).

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm liking my Microsoft/Razer Habu. It's great when it works. Great feel to it. Just make sure to turn off the 'l33t' blue glow. Urgh!

11. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

+1 for the Logitech MX-518

Very solidly built, adjustable DPI/sensitivity, 5 buttons and a wheel. All buttons, except the 2 for adjusting DPI, can be assigned to Mac OS X without 3rd-party drivers.

12. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Logitech G9 is THE gaming mouse. There is no question.

Talk to any "pro" gamer and they will stand by it. The sensitivity controls and profile management on this baby are awesome. I do have to use SteerMouse on the Mac side but it works perfectly. You can even adjust the processor DPI use on it, and it has changeable hand grips to fit your hand.

13. MichalM.Mac macrumors regular

MichalM.Mac

DeathAdder !

DeathAdder is great! And now there is Mac support.

You can buy Mac Deathadder. Or You can buy PC Deathadder -> update it's firmware to 1.27 and use it like mac deathadder.

Best mouse i've ever had.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Deathadder looks remarkably similar to a Habu, looks as equally comfy. If my Habu craps out I'll probably get one of those.

15. ddi macrumors newbie

the deathadder is ridiculously good. i highly recommend it to anyone. does not feel cheap, very well built, responsive. an all around joy to use.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've always preferred trackballs, because you don't have to move your hand/arm to control them, but they are harder to find these days. The best gaming trackball was the Microsoft Trackball Explorer which has been discontinued. I've got three of them so I'll get at least a couple of years of enjoyment from them before they croak. My second choice would be the Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman.

17. slinky1 thread starter macrumors member

Best Gameing Mouse

Have Found the Razer Deathadder Mac Edition but it seems unavailable from anywhere.Only apple supply at the moment but not outside the USA.
    I'm in England.The only option is to buy a PC version,download the Firmware to the mouse.This has to be done on a PC,then download the drivers on to my Mac.
    Does anybody know where i can purchase one.Mac Edition?
    I've tried Razer direct,but they've only released it on the USA site.:confused:

18. ddi macrumors newbie

19. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

Is this what you're looking for, they also do them on eBay.

20. slinky1 thread starter macrumors member

Found a Mouse

Great feed back on this thread.Thanks to everyone for there input.Have tracked down A Razer Deathadder Mac Edition,so going to give it a go.I'll just have to try it and see!!!:D

21. danembraceddc macrumors newbie

i acctually use a wireless mighty mouse. i love the weight of it, and it works really well for me in FPS games

22. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Are you kidding?!

That thing doesn't even have distinct left and right buttons! The scroll ball gets constantly screwed up, ect.

The MM is one of the worst-designed products Apple currently produces.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Depends on what games he plays? Granted I could never use a MM, I play HL2:DM and TF2, speedy games that don't work well but I can see it being useable for slower pace games.

It's just too uncomfy and the whole left/right button problem puts me off.