Best Wireless Chargers for iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Bummer! I was looking at those myself. Still thinking about picking up the Hektar though. Looks like a nice task lamp.

Wish they made some more nighttable style lamps with built in chargers.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    I’m still in the dark ages and confined to wired-only charging. I’m just shopping for the household. Never even occurred to me that vibration could dislodge the phone from these things. Go figure!

2. malevolant macrumors 6502

I bought one of the Seneo ones from Amazon. It does appear to charge at 7.5W and works reliably.

3. sfsurfer macrumors newbie

The same is true for me - it needs to be in the exact right spot to activate charging, although once there, it doesn’t stop. But it is super annoying to have to find that spot each time. I would appreciate to know if the same is true for all of these chargers or is my Belkin also defective.

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I told myself I'm going to hold off until Apple releases their AirPower wireless charging mat. I like the idea of throwing my X and AW on there to charge at the same time. It also depends on the price point Apple charges for the mat.

5. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Same for me, I've got a cheap wireless charger on my desk at the office but I won't dive fully in until I see airpower pricing. It will probably be to much for what I'm willing to pay for a charger but then at least I have options after the fact.

6. kbeez34, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

kbeez34 macrumors newbie

kbeez34

7. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

I was suppose to get the Mophie charger for Christmas but ended up getting the Insignia one, really like it. The blue ring at night doesn't bother me and really like the design.

8. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

I like the fact it works with all Apple watches.

9. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't charge at 7.5W, Apple has locked out this functionality. Read the beginning of the article.

10. kbeez34 macrumors newbie

kbeez34

Only thing you'd have to be mindful of is the older series 1 watches with the super long cables. Those won't wrap under the pad - but yeah, this is a very useful feature.

11. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I don't see the point with these wireless chargers... I can see the usefulness with "AirPower" when it arrives as it actually lets you charge multiple devices on the same wireless charger. But these where you can only charge a single device? Whats the point?

They cost more than a regular 12W "Fast" Charger, you can almost get yourself the 29W "USB-C Power Delivery" charger for the same price and get even faster charging. Charging wireless don't give you the benefit of being able to charge and use the device at the same time and wireless charging creates additional heat which may or may not cause additional strain on the battery.

The only benefit is that you don't have to fiddle with the cord, but with Lightning that isn't all that hard to begin with. And many of the wireless charges comes with a soldered power cord, or they come with a proprietary one so you can't easily hook it up with existing lightning charges and if you break the cable you are pretty much out of luck...

The only reason for going with any of these has to be because you live in a home with both Android and iOS devices where all devices support wireless charging so its the only way to can ensure all chargers will support all devices...

With "AirPower" on the other hand things might get more handy as I could have a single AirPower besides my bed that could charge my iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods at the same time using a single charger. But I fear the price for AirPower will be steep and the charging will be really slow...

12. Squirreladd macrumors member

Squirreladd

You think wireless charging is nice now wait until apple adds a dock mode or always on display. It like a desk clock then. I use it on my note 8, it's a small feature but it makes a world of difference if you frequently wake up while you sleep. Just glance over and see the time and notifications. This was half the reason I did not get the X.

13. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I love these Macrumors cracks at comprehensive reviews for lines of products. Very nicely done.

14. eldo33 macrumors regular

FUNNY how people can't just plug in the small lighting cable and charge the phone (which is faster with the right output voltage plug-in) than having these big wireless pad.

we're getting TOO LAZYYYYY

15. traganoo macrumors newbie

I have the ravpower fast wireless charger and it works great with my uag case.

16. dannynjoni macrumors member

You really need to get one of these! It's the best thing in new tech and you just gotta have it to appreciate your new phone and it's potential.

I purchased the Mophie when I ordered my new iPhone X and so glad I did. Excellent product.

17. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

None
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Of course it does, because it is literally just has a cutout for the charger that comes with every Apple Watch.

18. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Why has someone not made a wireless charger that has a lightning socket on though? then could either use standard lightning cable or the wireless, I'm thinking that as wife has a 6 and me an X then both can use.

If I buy either the Mophie or Belkin they have specific sockets, others have micro USB etc etc. Seems obvious to me, maybe I'm daft...?...

19. vladi macrumors 6502

I find it amazing that these are all flat beds. Not much imagination in them.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I have the Samsung charger that best buy has been selling for $24. It claims it's fast charging, but I don't think it is; at least not with my 8+.

I actually bought one to put in the living room for my daughter who is very hard on cables.

21. Makosuke macrumors 603

I got a Pleson stand that I really like based on one feature that many (most?) in this list don't seem to have: The light goes out after a few seconds.

I have the charger on a bedside table, and I do not want a light glowing in my bedroom all night. That would be a complete non-starter for me. The Pleson one has a light that comes on initially, so you can confirm it's charging, but goes off after a few seconds.

There's no indicator that it's fully charged and I have no idea what the speed is, but who cares, it's there all night so it's going to be fully charged by morning regardless. I've only ever once needed to charge my X during the day, and that time it seemed to gain a pretty decent amount of battery life after sitting on it for a while, so at the very least it's not really slow.

It also has no trouble charging an X through a TwelveSouth BookBook case, which is pretty thick--layer of leather and the plastic shell underneath. Since it's a stand and the back plate is pretty much the same width as the phone, I've had no issues getting the phone lined up properly--if it's more or less centered on the stand, it seems to work fine.

The only time a phone failed to charge was when I put it down backwards (with the front facing the charger) and didn't notice when the phone didn't buzz to indicate charging had started.

At a bit over $20, this was kind of a no-brainer purchase for me.

22. nigels0 macrumors member

23. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Weird. I just toss my phone on and it's charged every single time. (Mophie) Never once have I put much thought into where it goes.

24. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

So do we know for certain that others can charge at 7.5W or does Apple do some "magic" to only allow Mophie and Belkin ones?

Also have Apple somewhere states they will support Qi v1.2 in the future for 15W wireless charging?

25. jerryk macrumors 68030

Wireless charging is one of the best things to every happen to phones. I have them over the house and office. Just drop the phone on the pad wherever you are. And when you are ready to go the phone is topped up. Had them for years on my Android phones and the same chargers work on people's iPhones.