Best Wireless Chargers for iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

I know right? And isn’t it insane how people don’t even churn their own butter anymore? What a bunch of lazy idiots.

I particularly enjoy fumbling around in the dark every night trying to find the cord and aligning it with the phone incorrectly.

2. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

And scratching the phone so in the end I have to switch the damn light on to charge my device when now I just put it on there and off when I need it in the middle of the night

Wireless is so much better when going to bed..needing a fast charge is different but when you go,to bed? Wireless is needed

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I tired wireless charging on the S7 edge with a Samsung charger. I don’t know if it was the charger or the phone but it was so tricky to position it on the charging pad. I wasn’t that impressed.

However I only have a Spigen wireless charger but it’s very straight forward. Just plonk the phone on the pad and it charges. It’s even easy to do it at night in pitch darkness.

4. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Maybe the pads have gotten better (3 coil?), I don't have any problems aligning it with the X

5. Maury macrumors 6502

With the exception of wear and tear on the port, I can't imagine using these devices.

The whole-room rechargers, that's a game changer.

I suggest not spending too much money on Qi, which is clearly an interim technology.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yes I don’t have a problem doing it work my x but last year I tried a Samsung pad with the S7 edge and it didn’t align very well.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2017 ---
    My pad cost £13 and works very well.

7. T-R-S macrumors regular

T-R-S

it's funny to see 90% of them are flat chargers useless IMO when they are at your desk or at home you need them on an angle not laying flat..... - where are the combo wireless car holders??????

8. nephipower macrumors newbie

I would like to know the answer to this question too because it is not directly addressed in the article

9. elmaco macrumors 6502

Like to buy a charger, but they all look ugly.

10. BraytonAK macrumors newbie

So many of these (and tech gadgets in general) are filled with annoying blue LEDs. I know, blot it out with a black Sharpie. Maybe just don't design them to annoying and gaudy to start with.

I've yet to ever try wireless charging, but fast charging isn't a concern for me. Trickle charge my preciousssss. :)

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Standard charts use TIME as X axis, with line showing progression over time.

The MR chart reversed the axis and line use. That’s why it looked screwy.

12. jewelska macrumors newbie

Apple doesn’t have theirs available yet. So how could they test it?

13. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Well....ANY perspective at all would have been appreciated, even if it was yours only. After reading through, each product is just a basic description (readily available just by looking at it, or reading the product description). It doesn’t offer any insight on how well the product feels, quality, or user experience - which would have been nice.

This being said, amazon would be a better source because at least they have perespective.

I really appreciate author for taking the time to write this up. Thank you! Have a happy new year and thank you for reading my feedback!

14. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

My thoughts too. Has anyone tried charging a watch on any of these pads? Having different pads for each device somewhat negates the benefits of wireless, particularly if the pad is the size of a dinner plate - like Belkin's.

15. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Just got 2 of the Choetech T511 chargers from Amazon ($15.99 each), 1 for home and 1 for work
    I figured for that price, what the hell, why not?
    Charged perfectly overnight with no issues
    No problem with placement or anything
    Looks good and isn't too big, seems about right to me

16. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

TornadoEV.com are releasing a 10 watt fast charging magnetic qi Dock in January, would be worthy of a review by macrumors.

Attached Files:

17. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Worth a review sure, just noting current Apple products do not (and will never) support more than 7.5W

18. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

19. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I have a Mophie, and the times it has let me down simply for not being in the exact spot where I drop it before going to bed is excruciating. At least with a cable you know when it’s in the right spot (without having to look for a light, or worry that a slight bump will misalign it)

20. NeilHD macrumors regular

I'm struggling to see the point for most uses.

At home - I'll use a cable. A cable takes up no space, unlike a charging mat. If my phone is nearly flat then I can't put it on the mat and continue using it. I can, however, plug the cable in and carry on. So I just don't get it. A cable is much cheaper, too. If I knock a glass of water over on my bedside table then my phone's waterproof so it doesn't matter. I doubt the charging mat would survive.

My car has a built in wireless charging thing in the armrest. But right next to that is the cable I use. The cable that will charge it quicker (useful in a car with a limited journey time), and also give me access to CarPlay etc should I want it. It takes all of a second to plug the cable in.

The only use I can think of is for public spaces. Wireless charging mats on tables in coffee shops for example would be great - just drop your phone on whilst you have your latte.

I agree with what someone else said earlier in the thread. This is an interim technology. When true wireless charging comes in (not induction based) then that will change everything.

21. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Thats when I would want to use my iPhone more though whilst drinking. At home, overnight, its great to have a wireless mat, no more messing, if wake can use and put done in dark.

This is why some like it, some don't, its a choice. I bought a Qi charger for £5.99, cheaper than a cable. I agree in some circumstances its better for a cable, sometimes not. Until we get the "magic" enter into a room and automatically charges, we have this. Some Qi chargers are really small, and dont take up much space at all.

Its more convenient to plop your iPhone down on a mat to charge (if you dont want to charge and use, but then it doesn't charge at same rate anyway), than plugin a cable.

22. Wingsley macrumors member

We also need to see coverage of Qi-enabled docking stations for automotive use (biggie charger port power).

23. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

I bought the Samsung fast charge wireless charger

Pricey but ideal on bedside table so can have it flat or standing up..

24. MrMister111, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

MrMister111 macrumors 68020

OK I bought a Qi off Amazon UK, it says its faster charging specifically for iPhone X

"Full Speed Charging Wireless Charger supports up to 7.5W for the iPhone X / 8 / 8 Plus and 10W for Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, etc"

its a TQKA one, nice small size, nice long cable as well. small LED to show charging as well. Is there a way to test its 7.5W charging apart from timing it? I'm using it with a 2.4A 5V output charger.

**update**
    let it charge from 55% to 74% and took it off. I have a silicone case on, and was very warm. Other wireless chargers weren't that I've used, wonder if it is the 7.5W or the charger etc?

25. mango fever macrumors newbie

Feature comparison, Top 5 selected, that's how it's done. Oh yes, whether it works with a case on the phone or not would be handy. Seeing as it is a MUST HAVE.