Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think everyone would love that; there would also be a battery benefit with the added space.
They love it on paper but then they get the phone and complain that it’s too heavy. I don’t know anyone who has a 13 Pro or Pro Max saying they wish the phone was heavier. And lots of people now use cases that hold credit cards/drivers license which also adds weight.

Mactech20

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2021
I tried a 13 pro for about 10 days and returned it. The top end was so heavy (camera) that I often ended up dropping it. These heavy, huge, top heavy phones are getting ridiculous.

TonyTech

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
Once you put it in a case (which I always do) the camera bump sits flush with the case, so it's not an issue for me
It sits flush with the frame in the camera cutout of the case but not with the rest of the case, at least not on the 13 Pro Max with an Apple silicone case.

WaltFrench

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
Basic Physics, people: either the cameras have a longer focal length (more telephoto-ish, less wide-angle), have superior optics or have larger sensors that capture MORE light for better signal/noise ratios. Or some combination of the three. My money's on all three, with larger sensors making for sharper, better-color photos with less confetti visible when you zoom or crop way in

IzzyMandelbaum

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
4fdf81c0aac702c9d39919413b047c43.jpg

Can't wait for the iPhone 15.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
It’s not the ridiculous protrusion of the camera bump overall, for me it’s that each lens module is its own stepped protrusion.

a) I’d love to see the plinth glass raised so that there’s an overall bump still, but it houses all three lenses flush (so one big square bump instead of one plinth and three lens bumps), then,

b) That plinth is extended across the width of the top of the phone. Now there’s one long camera bump, AND it doesn’t wobble on a desk.

:)

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
I was hoping Apple would eventually get rid of that camera bump, but it seems they're going the opposite direction. That the iPhone wobbles when put on a flat surface is the only blemish of an otherwise beautiful design.
I used to agree. Loved the 5s and original SE design and feel. However the trade off to the quality of cameras we are getting is 100% worth it.

Reactions: 1557750

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I was hoping Apple would eventually get rid of that camera bump, but it seems they're going the opposite direction. That the iPhone wobbles when put on a flat surface is the only blemish of an otherwise beautiful design.
Indeed. I don't understand why they won't make the whole phone a few mm thicker.😩 Actually, I do understand their thinness fetish. It's a mental illness and I'm well versed in various mental illnesses.😗 Anyhow, I would have made the phone thicker if for no other reason than to bump up the battery size.

Come on, Apple. Y'all have constrained yer engineers far too long with this thinness fetish. Unshackle 'em so they can build the best phone ever, unfettered by having forego better components for the sake of thinness.

Reactions: jwdsail

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
8k? Great, now my memory will be eaten up in one 4 minute long clip. No new processor? Not even speed bump? This isn't even an S upgrade.

• Haha
Reactions: subi257

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
this is mostly a non-issue. head-on especially in the side-by-side comparison it doesn't look different.

no one will be looking at their phone from the side except for when they get it, if they really care that much. the phone hasnt changed how it looks for years now. it's a rectangle with curved edges and a camera protrusion.

going forward, the real eye turner will be when they figure out how to *reduce* the bump but keep the same specs.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Unless you use your phone naked it shouldn’t be an issue. On the other hand, making the camera flush would add a lot more thickness than you’d think. These days the camera bump is almost a third of the phone’s entire thickness. It’ll be a choice of either worse cameras or a much heavier phone, neither of which most people want.

mngdew

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2015
California
iPhone camera bump is getting worse each year.
I like what Samsung did with S22 Ultra. Its camera bump is less than 13Pro, yet they manage to squeeze in the 10x optical zoom and a 108MP sensor.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
The improving ability to take great pictures with no camera skill is pretty amazing. It might be just coincidence, but it's interesting to see the stock price of Canon (camera) company has steadily declined in the iPhone era. As long as the camera case doesn't have to be obnoxiously thicker, I'm good with a larger camera bump.

mngdew

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2015
California
Are they gonna do anything to address the weight situation?
There are only two things they can do to reduce the weight, go with titanium for the frame, reduce the battery size, or both. This means, there have to be some compromises.

surfsofa

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2004
Bay Area
Fair enough to keep pushing the boundaries, but it would be nice to at least have one phone in the lineup without a camera bump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.