Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Not everyone has a discerning enough eye to notice it - most people are so used to it they filter it out themselves. Its most noticeable in slow pans from left to right or right to left as every so often a frame will be repeated so the pan isn't smooth anymore. If you've never noticed it, best not go looking as you can't unsee it again.

Too late LOL. I googled and found an example on Youtube. However i've never experienced it while watching anything on my TV yet.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Too late LOL. I googled and found an example on Youtube. However i've never experienced it while watching anything on my TV yet.

Thats just someones faulty TV, its not telecine judder.

Gueeds

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Don't get me wrong, it sucks that 1080p24 isn't supported, but hardly any streaming device supports and iTunes is only 30fps at the moment along with nearly every streaming service. Not sure why you thought the ATV4 would be any different.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Don't get me wrong, it sucks that 1080p24 isn't supported, but hardly any streaming device supports and iTunes is only 30fps at the moment along with nearly every streaming service. Not sure why you thought the ATV4 would be any different.

I guess we're hoping for "the best" from Apple?

I don't like to judge them based upon "other streaming boxes", especially when they have hyped this thing a lot and we've been waiting for years for a new box.

Nothing wrong with having high expectations!

Reactions: thirdeyeopen666

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Its already been shown in this thread that all iTunes downloads are obviously in native format frame rate (24fps) so thats an incorrect assumption.

I'm not sure how Netflix deals with it, but i'm going to assume its all still encoded at native framerates too, it makes no sense for them to convert them to 25fps or 30fps when every TV or device in the world already has the ability to do it for them - so the ability to play the footage at native frame rates is there.

Not to mention ATV4 supports more than just Netflix and streaming services...eg Plex as of tonight.

In the UK Sky Movies gets away with 25fps PAL format without telecine judder by literally speeding the movie up by 4% to convert it from 24fps to 25fps...not as easily for you Americans, 24 to 30fps is quite some jump, so you're always stuck with some kind of 3:2 pulldown unless at native refresh rates.

I don't think its acceptable on a £165 device in 2015.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
A quick Google shows Netflix does, as I thought, have everything encoded in native frame rate (as I said, it makes zero sense for any service to start hard re-encoding 24fps footage when all devices will handle that, however badly)

Not only that, but there are numerous devices that will output Netflix at 24p. See http://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-v...netflix-streaming-device-59.html#post38331473

The Amazon FireTV can do it, a TiVo device, It appears the PS4 can, and a Sony Blu-Ray player that accesses Netflix.

Reactions: StinDaWg

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Can something like a Raspberry Pi (1 or 2) do 24p using Kodi or Plex? (RasPlex)

Probably - loads of things can do 1080p24, I was just trying to find devices that would play Netflix at that as a couple of people said "you can't play Netflix back at 24p". In terms of Kodi and Plex yeah anything that runs them as far as I know - Windows, OS X and Linux can all output 1080p24.

Weirdly the only computer based boxes that seem to not do it are these streaming devices like the Amazon Fire, Apple TV and Roku. Although Amazon Fire does it at 4k resolutions it seems (4k24)

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Probably - loads of things can do 1080p24, I was just trying to find devices that would play Netflix at that as a couple of people said "you can't play Netflix back at 24p". In terms of Kodi and Plex yeah anything that runs them as far as I know - Windows, OS X and Linux can all output 1080p24.

Weirdly the only computer based boxes that seem to not do it are these streaming devices like the Amazon Fire, Apple TV and Roku. Although Amazon Fire does it at 4k resolutions it seems (4k24)

Cool - That was my thought as well after poking around. Think I'll fire that up tonight and try it out.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
The truth is that the majority of consumers really don't care about the frame rate. And since Steve Jobs turned Apple with the iMac, iPod and iPhone into a company producing products for the masses, the mass appeal counts. The iPod was (is) hardly a device for audiophiles, so I don't really understand why people are surprised.
There was a time when people were outraged that the iTunes store didn't sell 3D films, now 3D TVs are almost hidden away in shops as they never took off.
People are not really that bothered about high quality, if they were there wouldn't be any fast food 'restaurants' and people would stop using trains in the UK.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The truth is that the majority of consumers really don't care about the frame rate. And since Steve Jobs turned Apple with the iMac, iPod and iPhone into a company producing products for the masses, the mass appeal counts. The iPod was (is) hardly a device for audiophiles, so I don't really understand why people are surprised.
There was a time when people were outraged that the iTunes store didn't sell 3D films, now 3D TVs are almost hidden away in shops as they never took off.
People are not really that bothered about high quality, if they were there wouldn't be any fast food 'restaurants' and people would stop using trains in the UK.

Well we know this, we know that the mass public like utter crap, Adele, X-Factor, the Kardashians, lowest common denominated talentless junk, but still, i expect more from Apple. 4k is not something i'm bothered about really as I don't think its going to make any viewable difference on anything less than a 100inch TV form an unreasonably close distance, yet telecine judder does make a bigger difference. Once you've seen a movie at 24p it doesn't compare to go back to back to just "viewing it any old how" which is what some of these devices do. But i'd expect that from a £35 Fire TV Stick, but fact is, it can stream my Plex movies in as good quality as the £165 Apple TV can!

(P.S. and at least iPods and the iPhone has an optical digital output which is really a step beyond what anyone else does an allows you to have audiophile output of the device if you want it)

Reactions: ActionableMango

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
24 fps is that film look. The hobbit movies received a lot of criticism for being 48. People that didn't know what they were seeing said it looked cheap like day time tv. That "film look" is part of the movie experience. Recorded at that speed gives a motion blur which can be perceived as more realistic.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Maybe i'm a little slow. But I have watched plenty of shows on Netflix and Hulu that looked fine on the Apple TV. I'm sure these shows are filmed at 24fps because they look so film like. However I've never noticed any "judder". I have a regular 1080p 60Hhz LCD.
It's most obvious in panning shots. Once you have seen it you'll notice it everwhere. It's particularly annoying when watching on a large projection screen. This was a big issue back in the DVD days that almost seemed solved when Blu-ray came along (which stores film-based content in a native 23.976 Hz progressive format).

To be fair, few of the lower-priced streaming boxes under $150 support 24Hz output (AFAIK it's only the WD TV Live at the moment).

Reactions: StinDaWg

Thun77

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
I was also hoping for 24p output, with my old 60hz TV, movies was unwatchable for me, but with my new 100hz TV, it removes the judder but adds an unnatural feeling to the movie, but I can live with that, but would MUCH prefer native 24p output, but sadly no :-( at least not from the start, i'm hoping they will implement the option like they did with update 2.0 for NVIDIA Shield TV

Taken from http://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/1
  • 23.976 Hz playback support
Allows advanced media enthusiasts to force the display refresh rate to 23.976 Hz for 23.976 Hz content like most Google Play movies, Netflix movies, and Blu-ray movie files. Enable this feature in Settings > Device > HDMI > Resolution. Note: This setting should not be used for playing games or for watching videos that display at higher refresh rates.

I also read here https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/16971 that people need to request it, with why its importen for there app, and its from an Apple Staff member.

No, the device output framerate is fixed, and content is automatically converted during playback to match the selected device output framerate. Apps do not have the ability to affect the device output framerate.

If you have a scenario where you believe that this would be required, please file a bug at bugreporter.apple.com with details as to why this would be required for your application.

So i hope the will allow the option for app developers to use if they want, even if we are the minority, it should not be hard for them to do so.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
ATV4 just keeps getting better and better. No 4k,

Man where you been? Apple did not include 4K in this product (we'll just pretend they haven't endorsed it in just about every other Apple product- even advertising 4K recording on the new iPhone on national commercials), so 4K is stupid, useless, "99% can't see the difference", "until everything in iTunes is 4K", "the chart", "no standard yet", "no content", "until the whole Internet is upgraded for everyone everywhere", etc. But most simply, Apple didn't include it so nobody needs it.

Apple didn't include it so nobody needs it. It's overkill, stupid to want fast networking, "99% aren't wired for it anyway", etc. But most simply, Apple didn't include it, so nobody needs it.

universal search doesn't include iTunes Home Sharing library,

Who needs that? Apple knows only geeky nerds care about their own content. You should just dump your own content library and re-buy everything from the iTunes store. Then it all "just works". 99% don't convert their own content. iTunes versions are better than blu ray conversions. blah, blah, blah. Most simply, Apple didn't include it, so nobody needs it.

no Remote app,
Every :apple:TV4 comes with a wonderful new remote so there's absolutely no point in updating the old app. Clearly Apple didn't update it, so...

app store browsing interface is painfully inefficient"
It's perfect as Apple made it. Who needs efficiency? This is a box hooked to the boob tube, where you're supposed to turn off your brain and just veg. That you have the ability to do more than that with this :apple:TV shows how much smarter Apple is than you. Most simply, Apple doesn't care about efficiency, so you don't need more of it.

...and now I'm hearing there's no 24p.
Why hang onto an old, outdated standard? Apple has chosen to embrace 30fps AND 60fps. All of the world's filmmakers have always been wrong and should have embraced 30fps or 60fps from the beginning. We should just burn all of the films and TV shows shot to film that were ever shot and remake anything that was good (Apple could tell us so we get that right too) at 30fps or 60fps (but not at stupid 4K, only 1080p). Or more simply, Apple has decided you don't need 24p, so enjoy the 3:2 judder.

Bottom line: love it exactly as Apple serves it up. If they leave out stuff that others have, others are wrong to have those things. Later, when Apple finally adds those things, THEN- and only then- is that stuff good. Until then, "99% don't need", "it's stupid", "useless", you're wrong for having any opinion that doesn't tow the company line, etc.

All ;) (me trying to do my best impression of the ADF).

On a serious note: this is too bad. I thought that since Apple programming had gone to the trouble to adopt a fps rate other than 30fps, maybe they would go ahead and adopt the all-time film standard too. How hard could it have been if they were going to add 60fps to add 24fps at the same time? The purists would have LOVED it. Instead, one has to hope they get it with the "5"... else buy somebody else's hardware.

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I was also hoping for 24p output, with my old 60hz TV, movies was unwatchable for me, but with my new 100hz TV, it removes the judder but adds an unnatural feeling to the movie, but I can live with that, but would MUCH prefer native 24p output, but sadly no :-( at least not from the start, i'm hoping they will implement the option for app developers like they they with update 2.0 for NVIDIA Shield TV

Taken from http://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/1

I also read here https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/16971 that people need to request it, with why its importen for there app, and its from an Apple Staff member.

So i hope the will allow the option for app developers to use if they want, even if we are the minority, it should not be hard for them to do so.

Yep i've already filed the radar for it, they'll see it.

Damn that Nvidea device is a bit of a beast though.

RezSeeker

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
It really is a mystery why they didn't include 24p. My ps3 does it and it's sooo much better. I returned an atv3 a few years ago when I realized it wouldn't do it. Apple store didn't care why, but I thought - hey they'll fix it in the next, snappier generation. Nope.
For all I like, Apple does definitely set a foot wrong sometimes. Dropping the matte screen option on macbook pros was another example. Sure people sitting at home in perfect lighting didn't care about the reflective screen, but it was a pita for people trying to see fine detail and color in sub-optimal lighting.
Point is, it would have cost Apple what $5?/per atv4 to give us a cinematic experience. Weak, Apple, very weak.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Point is, it would have cost Apple what $5?/per atv4 to give us a cinematic experience. Weak, Apple, very weak.
It's possible (even likely) that the hardware already supports 24Hz output, so it may be possible to add it via software update if Apple can be bothered.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Most movies and TV shows on iTunes are. For example, here's the media info of the video stream of an episode of "Breaking Bad":

Format : AVC
Format profile : High@L4.0
Duration : 47mn 58s
Bit rate : 4 791 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.096
Stream size : 1.61 GiB (90%)

Thanks. That's great. If most movies in iTunes are already 24p then I guess we can look forward to 24p support in the future. Guess it's just a matter of software update, if Apple bothers with it, since I assume there's no reason A8 couldn't handle this frequency. (The HDMI port is already compatible)

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
3:2 invokes stuttering and jerkiness, which is the whole reason high end movie equipment does 1080p24, have you not learnt anything from this thread.

I'm starting to think you're just trolling now, no one can be quite as wrong as you by mistake.

Read my post again. You're very confused. (Hint: what you said here has nothing to do with what I said)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.