Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Why should smudge marks bother you when you can wipe them off? That's like my current screen at the moment. Don't really need to justify why you are buying a certain colour really.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
IMG_0736.PNG
IMG_0737.PNG

635837606785012293451751299_cry1.gif

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
TechCrunch review of the jet black
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/13/review-apple-tees-up-the-future-with-iphone-7/

"My iPhone 7 review unit definitely shows fine scratches and abrasions after a week or so of sliding it in and out of my pocket with various other items like the AirPod case and my wallet and setting it down on surfaces.

I typically use my phones without cases, so that’s a data point for you. If you’re going to use a case you’ll be just fine (though why would you choose it then, I dunno). If you plan on running it “naked,” be prepared to take a polishing cloth to it or learn to live with the fact that, just like a car with black shiny paint, it’s going to get the whorls and scratches of any high-gloss surface."

So glad I went with Matte Black!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If jet scratches easily then I will get the black. Will see

I use cases so for me shouldn't be an issue. Planning on getting an air skin as well as another clear case

Reactions: Illogix

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If the reviewer put other things in their pocket, such as keys, headphones and so on, then of course the Jet black will scratch, most phones would. However most people (myself included) plan on putting a clear case on it, and or an Apple case (my 7 Plus Midnight Blue silicone case arrived this morning). I had the iPhone 4s and the back of that scratched, i never used a case on it. I didn't really start using cases until the 5s. I'm still looking forward to the Jet Black 7 Plus, i think it will look great in a clear case and or the Apple silicone or leather cases.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
If the reviewer put other things in their pocket, such as keys, headphones and so on, then of course the Jet black will scratch, most phones would. However most people (myself included) plan on putting a clear case on it, and or an Apple case (my 7 Plus Midnight Blue silicone case arrived this morning). I had the iPhone 4s and the back of that scratched, i never used a case on it. I didn't really start using cases until the 5s. I'm still looking forward to the Jet Black 7 Plus, i think it will look great in a clear case and or the Apple silicone or leather cases.

damn these reviews above don't look too good for the jet black as it looks like it scratches easier than any iPhone in previous year, this new jetblack finish must be very delicate finish, i have a jetblack iphone 7 plus preordered so not too excited to see these 2 reviews claim it scratched that easily

I was initially planning to buy the apple leather case as i always do every year for every iPhone i get but the open bottom of the apple leather case might be an issue for me for the first time since i slip my iphone in and out of my pocket during the day many times and that just won't be good to have the iPhone 7 Plus with the apple leather case that has an open bottom section ,it will mean that my phone will stay in pristine condition but will scratch in the lower section that is unprotected by the apple leather case, man i just wish apple would have created the leather case with all around protection, why do they leave the bottom exposed is recidivous,

now im going to have to go with a spigen case instead that provides all around complete protection , possibly the neo hyrbid

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
damn these reviews above don't look too good for the jet black as it looks like it scratches easier than any iPhone in previous year, this new jetblack finish must be very delicate finish, i have a jetblack iphone 7 plus preordered so not too excited to see these 2 reviews claim it scratched that easily

I was initially planning to buy the apple leather case as i always do every year for all my iPhone purchases but the open bottom of the apple leather case might be an issue for me for the first time since i sip my iphone in and out of my pocket during the day many times and that just won't be good to have the iPhone 7 Plus with the apple leather case that has an open bottom section ,it will mean that my phone will stay in pristine condition but will scratch in the lower section that is unprotected by the apple leather case, man i just wish apple would have created the leather case with all around protection, why do they leave the bottom exposed,

now im going to have to go with a spigen case instead that provides all around complete protection , possibly the neo hyrbid

I wonder if this is only on the back? What about the front, I.e the bezels and around by the home button. Ive got a clear case Spigen on the way, my silicon 7 plus case from Apple arrived this morning, I'll have to see which one offers the most protection when I get the phone.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Sounds like a good enough reason.

Wait, what...? You have just completely invalidated your entire reason.

You can clearly tell its a jetblack even i was to put an apple leather case on it, by looking at the bottom part that is unprotected by the apple leather case or by looking at the back camera hole, you can easily see if its a jetblack or a matte black. regardless though, i might get the spigen neo hybrid case now with a clear back to provide full protection to my new jetblack phone as i think i'll need all around bezel protection which the apple leather case does not provide

Reactions: Dave245

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I wonder if this is only on the back? What about the front, I.e the bezels and around by the home button. Ive got a clear case Spigen on the way, my silicon 7 plus case from Apple arrived this morning, I'll have to see which one offers the most protection when I get the phone.

Well its not only the back because the jetblack finish is throughout the entire phone, bottom near the the lightning port, the entire bezel around etc etc, so all these areas are prone to get scratched which is why im going to get a case that covers all these areas as opposed to just getting the apple leather case which i originally planned (the leather case has a huge opening on the bottom which might open the possibility for the entire bottom of my jetblack iphone to scratch)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-7-review-2016-9

"My only major criticism with the iPhone 7 is how little the design has changed. It's nearly identical to the iPhone 6s from last year and the iPhone 6 before that. While the iPhone 7 looks great on its own, it's disappointing to see Apple's designs leapfrogged by Samsung's gorgeous Galaxy S7 and Galaxy Note 7. (When it doesn't explode, of course.)

Apple used to pride itself on pushing design standards forward, with the rest of the industry attempting to copy or catch up. Apple's rivals have perfected their designs, but its response was to release the same look for the third year in a row.

I know it might sound superficial to focus on design so much, but it's something users take seriously, especially on a device they carry around and use all the time. It's hard get excited about something new when it looks very similar to what you've seen before.

Still, there are some slight changes. Those unsightly antenna lines on the back have been moved to the edge so they're not very noticeable. The camera bump is also significantly larger to accommodate a new camera sensor that takes better photos in low light. And there are two great new colors: Jet Black and matte black.

The Jet Black is the most striking color, and I bet it's the one most people will choose to show off the fact they have the iPhone 7. It's so shiny that you can literally see your reflection in it, and it feels slick in the hand.

It's also a fingerprint magnet. Simply holding this thing for a few seconds covers it in smudges, and Apple has warned that scratches may show up easily. So if you go with the Jet Black option, get a case. Jet Black is also only available in the higher storage tiers, 128 GB or 256 GB, which cost $100 and $200 more than the base models, respectively.

I like the matte black look a lot better though. It's made from anodized aluminum and has a futuristic look to it, like something Batman would use. If you're having trouble choosing between Jet Black and matte black, trust me — go with matte."
_

Okay, thanks Steve Kovach. Matte black it is. Shoots up from 60% to 75%.

Nah. Black onyx Note7 ftw! ;) 99.9%, bomb or no bomb.

The reviewer didn't tell me anything new that I didn't assume before. I need scratch test for both. What matters if the color underneath is different and how hard could each black option take being scratched because I am very careful with my phones anyway.

I don't care about fingerprints. Seconds to wipe off. I am not that much of an insecure OCD wussy. Deep scratches with a different color underneath is not something you can wipe clean. Be stuck like that forever. Metal isn't all that to me. When it is damaged, it looks horrendous too. Moreso than plastic. And it can generate too much heat.

75% favors matte
25% favors jet

1% maybe getting it. ;) Rather get the white Mi 5 before an iPhone. The jet black iPhone 7 is really just a copycat of the black Xiaomi Mi 5.

After getting excited getting whatever black iPhone 7, boredom will settle in after a week or so. Nothing really to be excited after awhile except a fresh new paint job. *shrugs*

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-7-review-2016-9

"My only major criticism with the iPhone 7 is how little the design has changed. It's nearly identical to the iPhone 6s from last year and the iPhone 6 before that. While the iPhone 7 looks great on its own, it's disappointing to see Apple's designs leapfrogged by Samsung's gorgeous Galaxy S7 and Galaxy Note 7. (When it doesn't explode, of course.)

Apple used to pride itself on pushing design standards forward, with the rest of the industry attempting to copy or catch up. Apple's rivals have perfected their designs, but its response was to release the same look for the third year in a row.

I know it might sound superficial to focus on design so much, but it's something users take seriously, especially on a device they carry around and use all the time. It's hard get excited about something new when it looks very similar to what you've seen before.

Can't make everybody happy I guess. When the Apple Watch first came out, everyone was accusing Apple of becoming a fashion company. A year later, they release a phone that focuses mainly on functional improvements, while addressing most people's design complaint (the antenna bands) from last years model and now Apple is slipping in the design department?

One thing I haven't heard from anyone who is complaining about keeping the same form factor is what they would elect to change if it were up to them. Lots of folks are crying, "it looks the same! It's boring!" No one is saying what they would actually change. It's like people are just sitting around waiting for change for the sake of change just so they can be entertained.

The 7 is going to kill it on performance. It will be the fastest phone in the world. That's good enough for me, and I haven't even mentioned the camera, display and battery improvements.

Last edited:

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
You can clearly tell its a jetblack even i was to put an apple leather case on it, by looking at the bottom part that is unprotected by the apple leather case or by looking at the back camera hole, you can easily see if its a jetblack or a matte black. regardless though, i might get the spigen neo hybrid case now with a clear back to provide full protection to my new jetblack phone as i think i'll need all around bezel protection which the apple leather case does not provide
No one is going to see the bottom part of your phone. You lose out on the best feature of the jet black - the seemless transition between the glass and the back of the phone, making it look and feel like a single unibody phone.

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Just by curiosity, do you think the "matte" black's aluminum is the same as the the 6s? Is there any chance it might me harder? Cuz my 6S+ (and my 6 from 2y ago have little dents on the corners....hoping for a stronger material..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.